CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (
-   Injuries (
-   -   Mid Back Strain (

Garth Reed 04-10-2007 06:58 AM

Last night I was doing air squats for my kid because at 8 months old, they are his favorite thing to do and he cracks up when dad does them with him. After about a minute of this, the middle of my back on the right side of the spine felt like something tightened (I was focused on my kid more than form). Since then, I have had a strain like pain right where the ribs end. I slept on the floor and have been working the area constantly (praying that I do not have something serious). Today, I can tell that the pain is there but I can move full range and feel fine. I really have to move that particular part of my back to make it pronounced.

Any advice??

Garth Reed 04-10-2007 07:04 AM

correction to my post. I just tried to lift a 30lb box and got a sharp pain. I guess I am heading to light duty for back exercises. THIS SUCKS!

Jason Billows 04-10-2007 07:07 AM

Garth, it could be a dislocated rib. I have a rib that dislocates from time to time right at the socket where it attaches to the spine. The pain is best described as a dull discomfort that varies in intensity.

My massage therapist easily pops it back in after loosening up the muscles around it.

This may or may not be your problem, but I thought I'd mention it for you to consider.

Regardless of what the problem is I would think that a trip to a good massage therapist would be a wise move.

Hope you're feeling well soon.

Ryan Kelly 04-21-2007 03:46 PM

Can any rib dislocate? I've had a dull pain in my upper back for two years, which sounds similar to your symptoms. I've been able to reduce the pain by using a foam roller, but it's never completely gone.

Ron Fielder 04-21-2007 07:53 PM

I think a rib head can get "out" a little.
A major dislocation with a rib would probably keep you from moving and breathing very well.

Corey Duvall 04-23-2007 12:40 PM

Any rib can shift its location and cause pain. It is not a full dislocation, as this would require tearing of the ligaments that hold it in place. Instead it is refered to as a subluxation, it moves slightly out of place, but not enough to do permanent damage. If a subluxation is in the middle and upper ribs will be a sharp pain upon breathing in and the pain may refer around to the front of your chest about the same height. A good chiropractor will be able to tell if it is a rib subluxation or a muscle strain or both. Be sure too find a chiropractor who does not guarantee "100% health" or other outlandish things in their advertising. Find a good, down-to-earth chiropractor who will perform a series of orthopedic tests to determine the cause of your pain. An x-ray for this condition would be only to rule out any fracture, and should probably not be used for any other reason by your chiropractor. Good luck.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 AM.

CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.