CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lower back issue (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=87467)

Mike Doehla 07-23-2014 11:33 AM

Lower back issue

Happened a little after finishing some heavy squats. Bent down to grab a shoe and felt a slight sharp pain in my lower back. I don't feel it unless I move certain ways but it's there especially when I tuck my chin. This has happened to me before. I'm 31 now the first time was at 18 from nothing, another time was when I was about 24 and shrugging DB's. The other one was a press. Just an odd thing that seems to happen every so often. And it's ruing my squat day thursday so I'm not too happy. Anyone know what it may be?

Rob Poling Jr 07-23-2014 06:57 PM

Re: Lower back issue

Does the pain radiate away from the injured area, say down the leg, or just where you felt the pull?

Mike Doehla 07-24-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Poling Jr (Post 1237566)
Does the pain radiate away from the injured area, say down the leg, or just where you felt the pull?

not at all. It's only in that intimidate area, which I'm assuming is a good thing, correct? No slipped disc or nerve damage. I'd go on web md but I don't want them to tell me I have spine cancer. lol.

Rob Poling Jr 07-24-2014 06:07 PM

I'm definitely not a doctor but sounds like a muscle pull. No pain no gain is no way to go with a back issue so I would rest and monitor it. If it is not improving after a few days have a doctor look at it. Work that core, it will help greatly to prevent back issues down the road. Back surgery is no fun so always try to do things with correct technique.

Mike Doehla 07-25-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Poling Jr (Post 1237742)
I'm definitely not a doctor but sounds like a muscle pull. No pain no gain is no way to go with a back issue so I would rest and monitor it. If it is not improving after a few days have a doctor look at it. Work that core, it will help greatly to prevent back issues down the road. Back surgery is no fun so always try to do things with correct technique.

Thanks Rob. Good news btw, I feel 110% today. I don't know what the heck happened in a matter of 18 hours but last night it just seemed to go away out of no where.

Nik Nichols 07-25-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Doehla (Post 1237864)
Thanks Rob. Good news btw, I feel 110% today. I don't know what the heck happened in a matter of 18 hours but last night it just seemed to go away out of no where.

Good to hear it is ok now. I sounds like a pull to me. Next time( I hope there is not a. Ext time), heat pad and hydration does wonders. That and rolling after heavy lifts.