CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   14.4 Tips and strategies (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=86578)

Thomas Cofer 03-20-2014 06:14 PM

Re: 14.4 Tips and strategies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace (Post 1224779)
And we're going to spell "strategies" correctly this time. Cool. :)

- Mark

Haha, I had no idea I was spelling it wrong! Ill bet you were waiting for that.....but I was right this time. These forums need auto correct

Jayme Gruber 03-20-2014 06:14 PM

"Depending on the layout of your gym, the other person in the frame may need to move the camera during the workout so it is clear all standards are being met for each movement. This includes being able to clearly see the monitor of the rower set to zero at the start and at least 60 calories prior to moving to the toes-to-bars."

What a pain in the ***. Now you need Spielberg with you to submit a video.

David Meverden 03-20-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber (Post 1224909)
"Depending on the layout of your gym, the other person in the frame may need to move the camera during the workout so it is clear all standards are being met for each movement. This includes being able to clearly see the monitor of the rower set to zero at the start and at least 60 calories prior to moving to the toes-to-bars."

What a pain in the ***. Now you need Spielberg with you to submit a video.

Yeah, I like this in the video submission part:

"Shoot the movements from the side so it is clear that: 60 calories are rowed, the feet can be seen behind the plane of the bar at the bottom, and in contact with the bar at the top of the toes-to-bars, proper depth and height is being reached on the wall-ball shots, elbows are in front of the bar while standing tall with the barbell on the clean, and that lockout is shown at the bottom and top of the muscle-up."

You know, not difficult to shoot or anything. ;)

Thomas Cofer 03-20-2014 06:16 PM

Does anybody notice a difference when doing Muscle ups from a high bar or from a really high ceiling? I feel there is a lot of play when I do them from a ceiling 40 feet above me. I don't have a place to hang rings so I prefer bar muscle ups anyways!

Jayme Gruber 03-20-2014 06:17 PM

60 calories will vary for everyone. But I think somewhere around 750 meters is a good approximation.

Jo Hsu 03-20-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Holcombe (Post 1224898)
My big question is approximately how far do I have to row to get 60 calories?

A guy at my gym did 14.4 tonight (for reference, he's really short-- 5'3", so rowing is not his forte). He finished 60kcal at 826m at a 1:48 pace.

Andrew Daggon 03-20-2014 06:25 PM

I will be using an airdyne instead, but 60 calories doesn't seem right, since Bridges got off the rower at 2:26 min. What do you think a comparable amount of calories will be?

Andrew Daggon 03-20-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo Hsu (Post 1224917)
A guy at my gym did 14.4 tonight (for reference, he's really short-- 5'3", so rowing is not his forte). He finished 60kcal at 826m at a 1:48 pace.

Thank you, this helps with figuring out an airdyne pace so I can simulate the workout as close as possible

Thomas Cofer 03-20-2014 06:27 PM

I don't train at a gym; I train at home and even though I have the equipment for video submission it's still a pain in the butt to do. For all my other garage gymmers out there just go to a box and ask them to let you workout there for a day. Ive been to multiple gyms who judge me for the opens and have not once paid for a drop in fee. Most are understanding

Clint Harris 03-20-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber (Post 1224913)
60 calories will vary for everyone. But I think somewhere around 750 meters is a good approximation.

Like airbike/airdyne, it will also vary by rower vendor. I was in Dick's a few weeks ago. They had a rower which wasn't chain driven. It had some sort of cloth band - was horrible - and only displayed calories. Its calorie count was way different than that of a c2. Don't remember if higher or lower, just remember thinking the thing was horrible and way off.