CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your opinions..... (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=4028)

Ron Winter 07-03-2007 02:47 PM

I've been doing CF for about 3 months now.....I feel great but I went a month or so without paying attention to my weight. I dropped from about 200 pds. (12% bf) to 173 pds (8% bf) I've gotten my nutrition back on track to keep from losing so much of my muscle mass. I've also lost alot of strength in the past few months. I've also had alot of problems with getting sick and being over worked....I only did the 2 day on and 1 day off schedule but this type of exercis (CF) really was tough. I didn't think it would be since I'm 24, run a sub 20 min. 5k. Please give me your opinion on my new workout schedule and let me know what you think....

Monday - Upper Body (Bench, Bicep Curls, Shoulder Press, & Tricep Kickbacks)
Tuesday - Lower Body (Squats, Hams, Calves, & ABS)
Wednesday - REST
Thursday - Crossfit day (my choice on exercise selection)
Friday - C2 Rower (my choice on routine)
Sunday - REST

All of your opinions are welcome. I'd like to put a little mass back on my body because I look really small....6'2" (173 pds). I want to increase my strength a little and maintain my conditioning.

Leon Robotham 07-03-2007 03:05 PM

Ron,

if you would like to work 4 days in a week like your workout template suggests, while increasing strength and maintaining your conditioning you may want to work in the ME Black box format. Search Blackbox on the forum, it will give you plenty of ideas on what to do. You could train the major lifts DL,SQ,C&J etc twice a week heavy while performing the WOD (scaled if needed) the other two days while ensuring your food intake has increased and your rest is sufficient i.e 8 hours solid daily.

I don't belive the biceps curls or triceps kickback would have any place in the CF community due to their functionality!:msn-wink:

Andrew Peterson 07-03-2007 04:53 PM

Not to be obnoxious, but what do you do on Saturday? I noticed that it wasn't on your schedule, but is it a workout day or a rest day?

Steven Low 07-03-2007 05:44 PM

Mass = eat.

improve conditioniong/maintain conditioning = CF

improve strength = work core lifts like DLs, squats, oly lifts, dips, pullups, rows, HSPUs, bench

Upper/lower is fine, but I think push/pull would be better for you as you could probably go more frequently with that training than your current proposed schedule.

Ron Winter 07-03-2007 08:38 PM

I appreciate all of your insight on my small dillema.

Steven.....can you ellaborate a little more on the push/pull strategy and what this consists of. (not very familiar with this) Also, you said you felt I could go longer if I used this method in comparison to my Upper/Lower Body w/o -- just curious why you think this way? Thanks!

Lincoln Brigham 07-03-2007 09:19 PM

Monday - Upper Body
Tuesday - Lower Body

Yechh.
Organize your workouts around movements instead of body parts. Push/pull/squat

Tricep Kickbacks
One of the worst exercises ever. A fifth-rate exercise that aspires to be a fourth rate exercise. Pushups and standing military press are infinitely better choices.

You asked for opinions, you got it..

John McBrien 07-03-2007 11:12 PM

Ron,

I'm curious - if the workouts are causing you to be unable to complete 3 days of CF workouts, then why not consider scaling using BrandX or your own scaling? Perhaps that will allow you to benefit from CF while also recovering better due to a lessened, more manageable intensity.

In my opinion, following the routine you have listed above misses the CF principle of "randomized, functional exercise" with "varied intensity." I personally feel that body part training is not in line with the CF methodology.

If you were to focus on using the CF WOD in a scaled format, I really think you'll see great gains in strength, and as Steve said, with more eating, will gain muscle. You'll also avoid weaknesses because CF will force you to work on your GPP.

Sorry for the long post but I think including bicep curls and tricep kickbacks and bodypart workouts will really be no where as effective as utilizing CF and the GPP it brings.

Good luck!

Colm O'Reilly 07-04-2007 05:53 AM

Ron,

I'm on Crossfit about 3 months and have found massive increases in strength. I've been doing 3/1 on/off cycle and scaling the weights so I can complete the reps/workout.

May I ask you, what else are you doing? Are you practising/competing in any other sport? Working long hours? Not eating right.

I'm 25 today and not as fast as you over 5K, but I eat right which allows me to marathon train and coach/train in Sub Wrestling so I can't see why you shouldn't stick with Crossfit and see gains.

I'd advise against the single joint/movement exercises like the tricep kickbacks and bicep curls. Multijoint exercises will pay bigger dividents.

Ron Winter 07-04-2007 08:59 AM

I'm eating correct but I'm in sales and always traveling, though never overnight. I also travel every weekend 4 hours to see my girlfriend so sleep probably is my biggest problem in regards to overtraining. As for my exercises I'll stop the curls and tri kickbacks and start trying to soley focus on the CF w/o of the day.

I'd like to be able to get on CF's schedule (3 on and 1 off) but how do I scale down the workouts? Don't do as many reps as shown...or decrease the weight? (until my body has adapted to this type of training)

Lincoln - you said that you recommended organizing my workouts around push, pull, and squat instead of body parts. Could you please go a little more in depth on this with maybe an example of this. I'm trying to avoid training the same "body parts" 2 or 3 days in a row -- because I thought that might be one of the reasons I was overtraining.

Alot of the WOD's I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting too.....I guess because I'm weak in alot of other areas in my personal fitness. I see that alot of your recommend HDPU's but I've yet to be able to do one of those....I don't have anyone that I workout with and trying to lean against a wall hurts my back.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far. I hope everyone has a great 4th of July....and please keep the feedback coming.

Alex Nisetich 07-04-2007 10:43 AM

Ron,
I'm relatively new to CrossFit but I have been in athletics and martial arts since the fourth grade. In my experience, I always need to rest more than I think; if you have been getting weak and losing weight, you need to take some serious time off training. Don't do CrossFit or any other intense exercise for two weeks; get as much rest as you can and continue to eat well. After this rest period, start doing the WOD on a schedule that works for you, but make sure you do it regularly. Scale the workouts using this link to BrandX's website: http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
Don't be afraid to take a day off if you are really sore, but stay consistent and get in the gym at least four times a week.
I don't think you need any supplemental lifting if you are "weak in a lot of other areas" -just the WOD will definitely get you in good shape and make you stronger. The problem is not the type of exercise you're doing, it's the amount. You are overtraining now, so rest and then ease into exercise. CrossFit is designed to be challenging for the best conditioned athletes in the world. It's not easy, and you have to be careful about overdoing it.
Good luck, and right back at you about the 4th.