CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Working out late (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37551)

Delita Wright 09-27-2008 06:57 PM

Working out late

Not sure where to put this...

I sometimes don't get the chance to workout until late, like 9-10-11-midnight-thirty. And, usually this is after a 14-16 hour day or so. Is there any info out there on how this affects you? I understand we process the foods we eat late differently than those we eat during the day. Just a thought.

Thanks!

David Miller 09-27-2008 07:05 PM

Re: Working out late

Delita,
I'm not expert on this topic, however I have read a lot of data that supports the idea that working out late can affect your sleep patterns, which makes sense in the fact that (especially with CF) you are jacking up your HR and BP and essentially waking your entire body up with a shock to the senses.... on the other hand, I enjoy working out late and find that once my HR returns to it's normal resting rate I am able to fall asleep rather easily.....my humble advice would be to just do what works for you.....if you have trouble sleeping after a late workout, cut it out.....otherwise, 3-2-1 GO!

Also I should point out that in the spirit of "constantly varied" I like to workout at all different times of the day, and being a firefighter, this is very functional for me.....soon I plan on setting my alarm for 3:30 AM and getting out of bed to do the WOD on cue.......Hope this helped some :)

Delita Wright 10-04-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Miller (Post 410902)
Delita,
I'm not expert on this topic, however I have read a lot of data that supports the idea that working out late can affect your sleep patterns, which makes sense in the fact that (especially with CF) you are jacking up your HR and BP and essentially waking your entire body up with a shock to the senses.... on the other hand, I enjoy working out late and find that once my HR returns to it's normal resting rate I am able to fall asleep rather easily.....my humble advice would be to just do what works for you.....if you have trouble sleeping after a late workout, cut it out.....otherwise, 3-2-1 GO!

Also I should point out that in the spirit of "constantly varied" I like to workout at all different times of the day, and being a firefighter, this is very functional for me.....soon I plan on setting my alarm for 3:30 AM and getting out of bed to do the WOD on cue.......Hope this helped some :)

David - yes - it does help. I like the *varied* idea, as my life is, has always been, and probably will always be varied. I'm working on getting more sleep now, another issue, and guess just working on making sure I fit these in is the important thing for now. Hadn't thought about the losing sleep issue. Thanks!

Shane Skowron 10-05-2008 09:22 AM

Generally speaking I like to workout late at night, after all my classes are finished and I've done my homework. When I'm doing 2-a-days I may do early morning and late evening, or if that is not convenient I will do late afternoon and late evening.

I've found that late evening is a perfect time for a workout. It helps me really focus on the WOD, knowing that everything else is essentially finished for the day.

It may/may not be surprising that the only days I usually have trouble falling asleep are rest days. Unless I had a beatdown down the day before (which is quite possible), I usually have quite a bit of energy and usually have to stay up past my usual bedtime to be able to fall asleep. On regular days, I always put everything I have into a WOD, especially on 2-a-days, so falling asleep within an hour or two of finishing a WOD is very easy for me. I usually eat a medium-sized meal before bed too, and this makes me sleep even better. Most people would balk at the idea of exercise and a meal before bed but it's what's worked best for me for a while.

Frank E Morel 10-05-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delita Wright (Post 410898)
Not sure where to put this...

I sometimes don't get the chance to workout until late, like 9-10-11-midnight-thirty. And, usually this is after a 14-16 hour day or so. Is there any info out there on how this affects you? I understand we process the foods we eat late differently than those we eat during the day. Just a thought.

Thanks!

I truly hope that your not working a 16 hour day at the benefit of your employer.

Like most people that already stated, working out late does screw up your sleep. Your work out will result in your metabolism elevated, your adrenaline levels elevated both of which results is Heart rate and Blood pressure are also raised. All coupled together amounts to a higher body temperature and that triggers the brain to wake up. A lower body temperature signals the brain to start shutting down for sleep.

If your going to work out later, then allow some down time before you crawl into bed.

Going to bed on a full stomach could lead you down the road of giving yourself gastric reflux disease. As your metabolism is slow and low while sleeping , stomach emptying time is longer. That means more digestive acid in your stomach.

Thomas Bailly 10-05-2008 12:51 PM

late workout for me means restless night....okif I can take a nap next day.

Delita Wright 10-05-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank E Morel (Post 416696)
I truly hope that your not working a 16 hour day at the benefit of your employer.

Like most people that already stated, working out late does screw up your sleep. Your work out will result in your metabolism elevated, your adrenaline levels elevated both of which results is Heart rate and Blood pressure are also raised. All coupled together amounts to a higher body temperature and that triggers the brain to wake up. A lower body temperature signals the brain to start shutting down for sleep.

If your going to work out later, then allow some down time before you crawl into bed.

Going to bed on a full stomach could lead you down the road of giving yourself gastric reflux disease. As your metabolism is slow and low while sleeping , stomach emptying time is longer. That means more digestive acid in your stomach.

Thanks, Frank - and no, what I have most evenings is ministry so different than day stuff (ministry, too, but different) which just makes for long days out. I'm learning to take a days worth of meals with me everywhere! LOL

Thanks for the concise summary of what happens. That is exactly what I need to get fixed in my mind, thanks. Also, changed my schedule to put rest days on heavy ministry days and that should help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Bailly (Post 416697)
late workout for me means restless night....okif I can take a nap next day.

Good point, Thomas - I could plan in a nap after short/late nights. Thanks!

Wes Palmer 10-05-2008 09:01 PM

I think if it comes down to working out late or not working out at all I would think working out late would be better right?

Delita Wright 10-06-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes Palmer (Post 416940)
I think if it comes down to working out late or not working out at all I would think working out late would be better right?

Good point, Wes. Keep it simple. Guess it's not like eating where a heavy meal too late is better skipped! Think I've got it now, thanks.

Dale A Jones 10-06-2008 12:54 PM

I enjoy working out late at night. I sleep better and have better workouts. I am stronger in the morning, but give me evening workouts any day!!! Getting up at 4AM to workout --- NAHH !!