CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Platforms questions??? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=24781)

John Swanson 12-11-2007 10:50 AM

Platforms questions???

So Iím planning to build a platform over x-mas, and Iím looking to use 5 sheets of wood, with 4 being plywood which would make up my base; My top sheet being something more aesthetic to the eye. I was wondering what type of coating I should coat the top piece with to reduce the wear on the wood and to make it look more professional.

Dan Heaney 12-11-2007 11:13 AM

Re: Platforms questions???

I was thinking of using some type of laminate wood flooring on the top sheet.

Derrick Rice 12-11-2007 11:19 AM

I built my platform a couple of months ago. I used four 3/4 in - 4X8 sheets for the base and I bought a 3/4 in oak plywood for the center base. I stained the oak and I was planning on laminating it with a Polyurethane coating, but I read that you didn't want to make a slick surface at all. If you sweat on the urethane, then it would get slippery.http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...4/IMG_4309.jpg

Tom Fetter 12-11-2007 11:38 AM

I'd be worried about putting a finish on the wood which could get slick.

If you want it to be truly gorgeous looking, you could do rubber matting on each side (where the weights will drop), and do the central strip where you stand in unfinished tongue-and-groove hardwood. You'll want to find the thicknesses of hardwood available in your area first, and match it with the thickness of the rubber matting

I've laid hardwood in 3 floors in different houses, and it's not rocket science. If you poke around for deals, you can likely get oak at about $2-3 per board foot. I'd then do a "drying oil" finish (commercial product like Deks Olye, or at the least a BOILED linseed oil). This, when dry, will be a whole lot less slippery than polyurethane, won't show scratches much, and any scratches that do show can be easily touched up with a dab of the same oil.

t

Paul Findley 12-11-2007 12:02 PM

I believe that many are happy with polyurethane, I am sure they will chime in. You can save some $ using the plywood intended for woodworking with the nice outer layer of laminated wood for the center piece. I have a few gouges from DB and KB now on my 'normal plywood' center piece. I am sure some oak wood flooring would have survived better.

John Swanson 12-11-2007 10:28 PM

At the school I play for, all our plat forms have unfinished tongue-and-groove hardwood, with a finish on it. But they are also made by SAMSON and cost around 1500 a piece, and I would rather have a go at trying to make it my self, but yet make it look professional. That is why im so curious on what to finish it with so it doesnt wear, and hopefully have it last long enough so I can have it be my first platform when I open up a Crossfit up in St Cloud...

John Edmondson 12-11-2007 10:39 PM

For what it's worth, I used three coats of water based poly on my homemade wooden rings and they're extremely grippy. Don't know if it would also apply to a lifting platform, but they use poly on basketball courts and that's obviously very grippy as well.

Derrick Rice 12-12-2007 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Edmondson (Post 227052)
For what it's worth, I used three coats of water based poly on my homemade wooden rings and they're extremely grippy. Don't know if it would also apply to a lifting platform, but they use poly on basketball courts and that's obviously very grippy as well.

Yes, basketball courts are grippy, but notice how the towel boys come out and continually wipe the sweat off the court in between plays. I sweat alot and when I am on my platform the sweat puddles. I would hate to have my rear foot slip during a split jerk from the sweat coated polyurethane.

I could be wrong, but I didn't want to coat my platform with polyU and then have to strip it because it was too slippery when wet.

Clark Miller 12-12-2007 04:33 PM

I am loking to build a platform in the next week as well. I like the sounds of the tongue and groove hardwood, and I may try that. I still need to decide if I want to make it the full 8x8, or just 6x8 to save from having to buy an extra stall mat. I may only use one layer of plywood to keep the weight down, as I most likely will be leaning it against the wall so my wife can park in the garage. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks

Paul Findley 12-12-2007 04:47 PM

I would not make a pretty one, I would have an extra thin plywood to cover it and I would park on top of it. I had my 8x8 on it's side to level it. Suffice to say, that is the last time it will be on it's side.