CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A gallon of milk? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=23633)

Brandon Oto 02-06-2008 09:53 AM

Re: A gallon of milk?

I would dance in the streets if drinking nothing but milk were a good diet. Think how wonderfully easy that would be.

Jonathan Greene 02-06-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Cummings (Post 253412)
Johnathan, no I do not know of any studies. It is my opinion that drinking a gallon of milk a day is a great strategy for someone who wants to gain weight. The following is speculation on my part. That being said I doubt it is the best option for longterm health when compared with something like Paleo/Zone. So perhaps eating Meats nuts vegetables etc is 80% of the way to a "perfect" diet. Supposing that Paleo/Zone is 95% of the "perfect: diet. I would, based on absolutely nothing but my own opinions put drinking a gallon of milk in addition to Paleo/Zone at say 72%. As I was kind enough to respond directly to your question would you consider ranking them for me and let me know if your hypothetical ranking comes out much different?

Sure thing. Based on my experiences and everything I have learned about nutrition up to this point, I would tend to agree with you for the most part.

Eating "in the Zone" is fantastic for the reasons we all know. I don't know about calling it perfect but eating in Zone ratios would seem to best all others and the plan is simple to follow. Limiting food choices to Paleo offers further refinement. Paleo is more restrictive but many feel it offers them superior nutrition. I tend to agree with the Paleo guys as well but....

Personally, I still consume dairy products as they offer me convenience and variety. I also feel they do not compromise "optimum nutrition" for me significantly, if at all.

The reason I quoted your post specifically was you used the words "before any "real damage" is done." To me your statements implied that you believed someone could do permanent or significant damage to themselves by drinking a gallon of milk a day for around 6 months to 2 years.

I wanted to know how you came to this opinion and if you had any evidence that you could show me to support it.

Jacob Vohs 02-06-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Greene (Post 253527)
Sure thing. Based on my experiences and everything I have learned about nutrition up to this point, I would tend to agree with you for the most part.

Eating "in the Zone" is fantastic for the reasons we all know. I don't know about calling it perfect but eating in Zone ratios would seem to best all others and the plan is simple to follow. Limiting food choices to Paleo offers further refinement. Paleo is more restrictive but many feel it offers them superior nutrition. I tend to agree with the Paleo guys as well but....

Personally, I still consume dairy products as they offer me convenience and variety. I also feel they do not compromise "optimum nutrition" for me significantly, if at all.

The reason I quoted your post specifically was you used the words "before any "real damage" is done." To me your statements implied that you believed someone could do permanent or significant damage to themselves by drinking a gallon of milk a day for around 6 months to 2 years.

I wanted to know how you came to this opinion and if you had any evidence that you could show me to support it.

I'm guessing this has to do with the saturated fat in whole milk. I am not knowledgeable about this but I think that having all that saturated fat could lead to high blood pressure from clogging arteries. Don't quote me on that though.

James Napier 02-06-2008 01:14 PM

What about cheese?
Kraft single slices are advertised as the equivalent of a cup of milk.
So 16 slices of chese or one gallon of milk.
I don't drink milk anymore but I do eat a lot of varieties of cheese (a lot less than 16 slices quantity a day) along with my tea and paleo on IF.
I have been gaining strength but my body fat % is probably closer to 20%.
Strength gains may just because I'm a xfit-noob (18 months).
So, does anyone have any argument against various cheeses instead of milk?

Nick Cummings 02-06-2008 01:32 PM

Thanks for clarifying for me Johnathan! I was curious if we were mostly in agreement or not and upon expanding on your belief I would consider us to hold mostly similiar opinions.

Nikki Young 02-07-2008 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Heinonen (Post 225588)
Some ideas: spread it out. Have a quart at breakfast. Don't try to do it all at once, but just work it a glass here, a glass there, throughout the day. I like to have most of my milk AFTER meals, because it's easier to chug a glass than force yourself to eat after you've dranked a bunch of milk.

I would think though, it would be a good idea to not consume the milk with a higher fat meal.. Sugar+fat= easy fat storage. So it could also be an option to leave the milk for breakfast, PWO shake and just before bed about 2hrs after dinner in order to try and avoid this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Greene (Post 253254)
If there are any studies that show any short term or long term issues with a healthy, lactose tolerant person consuming a gallon of milk in addition to a healthy diet I am not aware of them and would love to see them if they exist.

This article may be of interest:
http://www.4.waisays.com/ExcessiveCalcium.htm

Also, i know there seems to be a bit of 'i heard this i heard that' going on. But i heard :p that Brendan drank the gallon of milk while on the metabolic diet? Could be completely un-true, but just thought see if anyone knows if it's true or not?

Tim Luby 02-07-2008 08:17 AM

Where can I get raw milk? Anyone in the NYC/NJ area have an answer on this? Thanks!

Win Featherston 02-07-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Jordan (Post 253064)
I don't think raw milk is illegal, just selling it. Goats need less food/space than dogs...though wal-mart doesn't sell hay. If you have a yard you might give it a try. In some states, farmers get around the law by selling customers shares in a cow/goat. Then they have access to their own animal's product. You might see if something like that is available.

...late to the party as always. Sorry.

Now I need to find a place to buy a goat!

Does anyone know if a single goat can produce a gallon of milk a day, or do I need to find a "buy one get one free" coupon?

Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer 02-07-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Napier (Post 253535)
What about cheese?
Kraft single slices are advertised as the equivalent of a cup of milk.
So 16 slices of chese or one gallon of milk.
I don't drink milk anymore but I do eat a lot of varieties of cheese (a lot less than 16 slices quantity a day) along with my tea and paleo on IF.
I have been gaining strength but my body fat % is probably closer to 20%.
Strength gains may just because I'm a xfit-noob (18 months).
So, does anyone have any argument against various cheeses instead of milk?

Interesting that you mentioned cheese. I've recently added it to my otherwise paleo diet and have had some great increases in my strength. If you love it, and it travels easier than milk, and most of all, your GI tract can take it, go for it. When you've reached certain strength goals, you might want to tweak that if you're looking for more leaness. Are you getting a lot of animal fat in the rest of your diet? I try to get omega 3 along with meals containing cheese.

Jason M Struck 02-07-2008 11:57 AM

I gained about 19 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks drinking about 40-60oz of 1% a day to bring my calories up to about 3000-3500 (I started at 156@13%, and went to about 173@9%).

I have written something of a lab report style account of it, but have no where to publish it right now.

My version of 'squats and milk' etc.

As far as lactose etc... I have been a vegetarian for about 11 years. I haven't really consumed much of any kind of milk for about the last 5 years+. I assumed that this would not work, but I actually really enjoyed the milk, liked the way I felt, and was never nauseous. Which is saying something, because I basically doubled my caloric intake and reduced my caloric expenditure.

Zach Forrest 02-07-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason M Struck (Post 254055)
I gained about 19 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks drinking about 40-60oz of 1% a day to bring my calories up to about 3000-3500 (I started at 156@13%, and went to about 173@9%).

Already established that 19lbs. of muscle is NOT possible in 6 weeks. That would be barely possible in 18 months :yikes:

If you mind me asking Jason, how tall are you? I'm going to go ahead and guess...5'10" or taller, right?

Anyways, what probably happened with you was more than likely due to the fact that you introduced a broad spectrum protein source in large steady amounts after lacking them for 5 years as a vegan (what type of vegan were you? aren't there different kinds?)

What seems more reasonable is that you just gained around 4lbs. of muscle while completely filling you water and glycogen stores in your body...which makes total sense if you are coming from an under-delievered spectrum protein diet. You more than likely also gained some fat as well.

But then again, I am a born skeptic. You could be a genetic freak as there are ALWAYS expceptions to the rules.

BTW, what method did you use to measure your bf%?

Congrats on the gains though, hope you gained some poundage on your lifts.

Sean Dunston 02-07-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Forrest (Post 254085)
Already established that 19lbs. of muscle is NOT possible in 6 weeks. That would be barely possible in 18 months :yikes:

Zach-
Established?
No - you put it forth as a fact in one of your posts in this thread, but you seem to be the only person pushing that line of thought. I just noticed that you are the same guy in disbelief that a big guy (over 6' and over 200#) can do Fran in under 4:00.

Do you have scientific studies to support these facts that you did not cite in your previous posts?

I would hardly agree with you that it has been "established" to not be possible to gain that much muscle - or that it is impossible for a big guy to whip through Fran in less time than 4:00.

YMMV.

Tom Rawls 02-07-2008 02:08 PM

Jason said he was a vegetarian, not a vegan. Big difference. Vegetarians have many sources of protein, including dairy and eggs. Vegetarians may not be getting the protein of omnivores, but there's no reason to believe they are protein deficient.

As for his adding glycogen and water stores, if one is eating grains, vegetables, and fruits, there is no reason for glycogen and the water stores associated with it to be low.

Damed if I know what made up the 19 additional pounds, but I'm unconvinced by Zach's analysis.

Tom Fetter 02-07-2008 02:09 PM

Zach? You're moving perilously close to trolling behaviour ... don't think that's your intent.

Before jumping all over claims of muscle gains in silly-short timeframes, maybe look at people's experience with programs like Coach Rippetoe's "Starting Strength." In 30+ years of running a gym, Rip says it's no astonishing thing to put up to 60 pounds of bodyweight onto a untrained, genetically favoured kid in 6 months. The trick is to focus pretty much entirely on the big compound lifts, squatting 3X week, keep to a linear progression, sleep ... and eat. Most won't eat/train hard enough to do that - so the norm is more like 30-40.

Even considering that some of that mass will be fat ... it's a long ways from the 19 pounds in 18 months that you proposed as almost unattainable.

Hell, even in my own case just CrossFitting since last July ... bodyweight's stayed essentially the same, though my body composition has changed pretty radically. I've likely switched out 10-15 pounds of fat for muscle in that period, without focusing on adding mass. The truth of it's reflected in my increased work capacity at the same bodyweight, by the mirror, and by the clothes I've grown out of across the shoulders and back.

... and at 45, I'm no "genetically favoured kid."

John Alston 02-07-2008 02:30 PM

http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=431
Rippetoe on milk. Sorry if this already got posted in this thread, I didn't see it.

John Edmondson 02-07-2008 03:08 PM

Nikki, Brendan posted on comments around the time that this was such a hot topic that he was drinking a gallon of whole milk on top of his usual 17 zone blocks. The day before that his girlfriend Shari posted something to the same affect, also on comments.

James Napier 02-07-2008 03:22 PM

I get most of my animal fat from cheese, never milk. Most of my meats are equal seafood and poultry with ocassional beef and rarely pork. Is this enough animal fat from a paleo perspective if my intent is to continue to gain strength while I am slowly losing body fat? I had considered fish oil but do not know what to expect from it along with cf, paleo and IF.

Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer 02-07-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Napier (Post 254216)
I get most of my animal fat from cheese, never milk. Most of my meats are equal seafood and poultry with ocassional beef and rarely pork. Is this enough animal fat from a paleo perspective if my intent is to continue to gain strength while I am slowly losing body fat? I had considered fish oil but do not know what to expect from it along with cf, paleo and IF.

for Paleo, that's plenty of animal fat. If you are both gaining strength and losing bodyfat at the same time, you'll want to stress fats like avacado, and definately fish oil, and flaxseed oil. Walnuts in moderation also help. Fish oil helps in reducing soreness. It has gotten me through my first 2 newbie months.

Craig Van De Walker 02-07-2008 07:14 PM

Zach,
It usually bugs me when someone speaks about what is impossible as a "FACT"

Look up the Colorado experiment.

First subject (Casey Viator), 28 days
Increase in bodyweight........45.28 pounds
Loss of bodyfat..............17.93 pounds
Muscular gain.................63.21 pounds

Second subject (Arthur Jones),22 days
Increase in bodyweight .......13.62 pounds
Loss of bodyfat...............1.82 pounds
Muscular gain.................15.44 pounds

Obviously not normal results. I personally gained about 40 lbs in three months in my youth. Much of it muscle, it is "possible" but just maybe not what the usual is!

Zach Forrest 02-07-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Fetter (Post 254148)
Zach? You're moving perilously close to trolling behaviour ... don't think that's your intent.

--- Rip says it's no astonishing thing to put up to 60 pounds of bodyweight onto a untrained, genetically favoured kid in 6 months.

Even considering that some of that mass will be fat ... it's a long ways from the 19 pounds in 18 months that you proposed as almost unattainable.

I'm not exactly sure what trolling is, but it definetly doesn't sound like something I'd want to be doing.

60# of bodyweight is COMPLETELY possible. 60# of MUSCLE is not. What I'm trying to point out is that there is a HUGE difference between bodyweight, lean body mass(muscle weight+bone+water+glycogen), and just dry muscle weight. That is my only point.

19# of bodyweight is easy in 18 months, 19# of LBM is even possible...but 19# of dry muscle weight is something completely different. It would be hard, not impossible, but hard to obtain that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Rawls (Post 254147)
Jason said he was a vegetarian, not a vegan. Big difference. Vegetarians have many sources of protein, including dairy and eggs. Vegetarians may not be getting the protein of omnivores, but there's no reason to believe they are protein deficient.

Thanks for clearing that up, I know there are different types of "vegetarian" diets, but I am not too knowledgable on those differences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Dunston (Post 254130)
Zach-
Established?
No - you put it forth as a fact in one of your posts in this thread, but you seem to be the only person pushing that line of thought. I just noticed that you are the same guy in disbelief that a big guy (over 6' and over 200#) can do Fran in under 4:00.

YMMV.

I've read in a couple scientific journals and university studies that propose this line of thinking.

Journal of Sports Science and Medicine (w/fs) has some good info on muscle growth/recovery

T-Nation's article was already posted I believe, but in case you missed it

I am still looking for the two I specifically remember from Scientific America (I think) and a University Study, I'll post them as soon as I can.

What does YMMV mean?

Again, I'm just discussing guys. I'm not trying to "troll?" or sound rude or pig-headed or anything like that. Sorry if I come off like a jerk, I'll try and be more courteous. Hey, who knows...I could be completely and utterly wrong (gee, wouldn't I feel like a moron).

Zach Forrest 02-07-2008 07:45 PM

I found another article from a bodybuilding website (ughh)...

http://www.ironmagazine.com/viewarticle-3995.html (w/fs)

Do searches on "dry muscle synthesis" and "maximum amount of protein synthesis" and you get some decent articles on the subject.

I will continue to search for info, and I will post articles as I find them.

I also encourage anyone to post any articles saying it IS possible to put on more than 5# of dry muscle in a month.

Zach Forrest 02-08-2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Van De Walker (Post 254330)
Zach,
It usually bugs me when someone speaks about what is impossible as a "FACT"

Look up the Colorado experiment.

First subject (Casey Viator), 28 days
Increase in bodyweight........45.28 pounds
Loss of bodyfat..............17.93 pounds
Muscular gain.................63.21 pounds

Second subject (Arthur Jones),22 days
Increase in bodyweight .......13.62 pounds
Loss of bodyfat...............1.82 pounds
Muscular gain.................15.44 pounds

Obviously not normal results. I personally gained about 40 lbs in three months in my youth. Much of it muscle, it is "possible" but just maybe not what the usual is!

I read the report and I must say that I am still completely skeptic. They trained on Nautilus equipment exclusively and only did negative/negative accentuated movements? For a total workout time of approx. 5 hours over 22 days?

Ok, the numbers you posted are possible with that training I guess. What I want to know, though, is what they ate because I would put money on the fact that their diet had more to do with those gains than the training. They were probably drinking a gallon of milk per day! :rofl:

But still, those numbers, not to mention the strength gain that was reported, totally blow my mind. It really is incredible what the human body can do.

But what seems to be happening in this thread is a form on miscommunication on my part. I should have clearly defined the terms I was using as we all seem to have a different definition of what "muscle weight" is.

Gaining that body weight is totally possible in that amount of time. Even lean body mass. But not dry muscle weight.

Body weight/mass = fat, bone, water, dry muscle, glycogen, plasma, and whatever is in your stomach. Basically everything...
Lean body mass = bone, water/glycogen in the muscle, and the actual muscle itself.
Dry muscle weight = only muscle fibre

That is where the confusion seems to be. I am simply stating that there is a limit to what your body can produce in the way of muscle fibres in a given amount of time. It is much easier to see and quantify gains in the way of body mass/weight as well as lean body mass.

That's all I was trying to say. I kind of regret making the initial post now, I wasn't trying to create any arguments.

Brandon Oto 02-08-2008 05:28 AM

The usual complaint about the Colorado experiment (which is often used to promote HIIT methodologies) is that Casey Viator was basically an athlete rebuilding muscle he'd recently lost, which is not quite the same story as a newbie creating it from whole cloth.

Craig Van De Walker 02-08-2008 06:41 AM

Brandon,
Yes I realize that and it is a huge difference. My point being depending on my mood when I see something put forth as "impossible" especially when I think much more than what is being criticized is possible I sometimes can't help myself.

I think I am going to excuse myself from this thread before I hear it is "impossible" to gain muscle while losing fat. We've gone from 19lbs of muscle in 18-months is impossible, to 5lbs of "dry muscle" in a month is impossible.

Joe Waguespack 02-08-2008 05:48 PM

I always find it funny when people start talking about this study and that study and what is possible and impossible. I truely believe that there are things that the human body can achieve that science cannot explain with controlled studies. I think a lot of time the obvious and the attainable are shot down because they are not explainable.I always heard that it was "impossible" to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, which we all know is BS. I can speak from my own personal experience, in the past year I have taken about 8 inches off my waist while adding an 1 1/4 inch to my arms, 2 inches to my chest and 1 1/2 inches to my legs, and i never measured them but my shoulders have exploded from the overhead work. I went through this transformation after starting Crossfit and eating far less calories then I ever have in my life. The arm and chest gains came solely from pull ups, push ups and dips also. I also have been training for about 12 years. So i am a not a newbie ( to training) , I ate reduced calories, I did mainly Crossfit and still lost fat and gained muscle. I find it funny when I tell people I actually have lost about 50 lbs and added size. My body went from an A shape to a V shape.LOL

Jake Di Vita 02-08-2008 06:27 PM

Yep I pretty much agree with Joe.

"The person that says it can't be done is often interupted by the person doing it."

Zach Forrest 02-08-2008 07:18 PM

I am well acquainted with the fact that the human body can do things we can't imagine. Usually these things are connected to a mental state, though. As a former member of special operations, the mind's ability to push the physical body has always astounded me. But when it comes to building muscle..science is the only thing that will provide statistics...right?

I agree with the fact that is is quite possible to put on muscle while burning fat, never said that wasn't possible. Joe, congrats on the gains. Quite impressive.

If I say it is impossible to lift 5,000kg over your head without mechanical aid, is someone going to argue with me? :p

Joe Waguespack 02-08-2008 07:40 PM

I just think we will greatly limit our abilities by accepting only what can be proven and measured by science. I think in many situations human will can blast through limitations that science and statistics have set. Wow , I'm getting off into a whole different thing here. I just looked up and realized the title of this thread was "A gallon of milk?"LOL

Zach Forrest 02-08-2008 08:00 PM

I guess I have to admit that I agree with you Joe on that fact that the human body can accomplish more than what we normally consider is possible with a strong will.

Pertaining to this topic (if we are even on topic anymore :rofl:), I don't think our will has any influence on our body's ability to synthesize muscle fibre. Do you?

Yeah..this topic is becoming micro-analyzed. I'll take the blame for that. How about: Milk = good. Milk + good training/rest = good results.

We can work with that, right? :highfive:

Joe Waguespack 02-08-2008 08:21 PM

Good one, yeah I'll agree there maybe the willing muscle fiber to grow might be a stretch:D

Ok , since we are getting back on topic I am wondering if a trainee took in the same amount of calories that is in a gallon of milk but , say, from a high quality weight gainer or protein supplement that had a very high BCAA content and amino acid profile and maybe glucose to replenish muscle glycogen, would the results be greater? I am wondering because I have found a post workout supp. called Surge from Biotest, I used to use it and it definitely helped with recovery and muscle gain. I no longer use it since I started the Zone , but it is relatively inexpensive and is just a high quality whey with added BCAA's and glucose. It might be worth a try for anyone curious.

Zach Forrest 02-08-2008 11:51 PM

In my opinion, there are two main differences in gaining your protein/carb/fat calories from whole milk vs. protein. One is the ratio of intake. Whole milk has a great ratio of protein to simple carb(lactose) to fat grams which is near ideal for promoting growth in the average human (which is why the female produces it in the first place).

The second is the type of carb and protein gained. Milk carb is a unique lactose/glucose combo that isn't found naturally anywhere else (that I'm aware of anyways). Glucose is ready for immediate utilization in the muscles as soon as the body is able to ingest it. Lactose is a little bit more complex (but still considered a simple carb) and is about two digestive steps behind straight glucose. This allows for a pretty consistant feed of carbs to the body.

There are two proteins found in milk: casein and whey. The latter is the fastest digesting protein and usually has a higher Biological Value than most other proteins (meaning the body utilizes it more easily). Casein is a protein that has a longer digestive uptake time than whey, but has near the same BV. Again, this allows a steady flow of protein to the body after consumption.

Couple this with the fat (which is used to regulate Insulin-like Growth Factor and Testosterone in the body) and you have a very potent mass builder.

So, to answer your question...in my opinion, I'd mix 'em. :kicking0: Let me know if it tastes decent...do they have chocolate?

Joe Waguespack 02-09-2008 03:55 AM

Yeah the Chocolate tastes amazing also. I won't be trying this myself since that wouldn't coincide with my present goals, but I think it would be interesting to see the results.

Eric Lester 02-09-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Waguespack (Post 254885)
but it is relatively inexpensive and is just a high quality whey with added BCAA's and glucose. It might be worth a try for anyone curious.

I believe it has casein too, not just whey. From what I have seen few protein supps contain casein.

Damon Stewart 02-09-2008 11:51 PM

I'm going to give this a try when I get back from the level II cert next week so we'll have some empirical results. I've been CF'ing 2 + years, 835 CFT, 6' and 165 lbs. I'd like to get to 180. I haven't drank milk since around 1995 so I'm going to start with 1/2 gallon per day and work my way up. Once I've started I'll start a separate thread and will also blog it at my affiliate site.

Zach Forrest 02-10-2008 01:56 AM

That's awesome Damon, I'll look forward to seeing what happens. I actually am also starting a 12 weeks SS mod tomorrow...milk intake won't be at a gallon per day, but only 1/2 gallon. I'll be posting strength/weight increases every three weeks or so.

Joe Waguespack 02-10-2008 06:23 AM

Maybe you guys could try the half gallon mixed with the Surge I was talking about. It'll cut down on the volume of drinking a full gallon and will load you up with aminos and calories. Just a thought. I would turn into a blob if I tried it.

Nick Cummings 02-10-2008 01:08 PM

I do not buy Biotest products as they often insult CrossFit, but thats just me.

Micah Tanner 02-11-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Roddy (Post 215171)
Raw milk is illegal here in MI, unfortunately. I'd love to try it though. Someday, when I move out of this crap state, haha.

Kevin,

Check your private messages. I live in Michigan and have been getting raw milk for years. I sent you information on a raw milk source in Michigan - haven't tried this particular source, but the co-op I get my milk through is no longer taking on new members.

Joe Waguespack 02-11-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Cummings (Post 255501)
I do not buy Biotest products as they often insult CrossFit, but thats just me.

Really? I have never heard that. I usually see a lot of stuff on T-nation (biotest's web site) that actually supports much of the same type of training. They even had an article recently about the benefits of the Tabata methods.I must have missed something. What do they say about Crossfit?

Nick Cummings 02-11-2008 01:10 PM

I do not want to take this thread off topic and venture into an area the mods will disagree with so I will simply add that if one frequintly reads t-nations articles one will get some interesting training ideas and about once or twice a month there will be a cheap shot at CrossFit. I think it is a joke to them and I continue to read their site despite the fact, but I no longer purchase their products.