CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Spartan Race. (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=78735)

Rob Darden 11-12-2012 10:03 AM

Spartan Race.

Anyone ever done a Spartan Race? If so what did you think about it? I just signed up for one on March, 24th in Charlotte, NC. Looking forward to it!

Michelle Stafford 11-12-2012 01:57 PM

Re: Spartan Race.

looks pretty bad a**, good luck:)

Rob Darden 11-13-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Stafford (Post 1107158)
looks pretty bad a**, good luck:)

Thanks!! I got plenty of time to get ready for it. Looks like not many have done one from the lack of responses.

Cliff Miller 11-13-2012 10:41 AM

i was involved with the spartan race they did here in late september.

although i think it is subject to each event organizer the sense i got from the people doing the squamish spartan race was that it was pretty cheeze ball.

a couple of the obsticals they had to complete were blowing up balloons and walking on the edge of a 2 x4.

i think we seeing a large wave of people doing these types of races and then after a few years after people have done a couple of them they will be onto the next flavor of the day.

much like adventure sport racing peaked and is now down to the serious racers.

if you want a real "challenge" only because the distance is so much longer on the running try tough mudder.

Peter Queen 11-13-2012 02:05 PM

Hi Rob. I did the Spartan Race last year in IL. I thought it was a very good race and very challenging. I only did the Spartan Sprint which is the 3.8 miler. Speaking for myself, I think it is worth doing especially if you have never done a race like that before. With respect to Cliff's comments, it will definately challenge you. Also, not all races are created equal. The Spartan races are done world wide. Thus, every race in every state and in every country has its differences. There were no blowing up of balloons in my race. What there was was lots of muddy steep hills and a series of man made and natural obstacles that you had to overcome. Be prepared too cross several lakes and rivers as well. The terrain is very tricky so watch your footing for any potential ankle twisters. The rope wall was especially chalenging because by the time you get to it your hands and body will be so covered with wet slippery mud you might need help from the other competitiors to complete that task. There was also a two sided 20 foot high cargo net that I had to climb up over and down the other side. Overall it was a grueling but fun race that will definately test your limits. The Tough Mudder is indeed a great and very challenging race. However, the Spartan Race has 4 versions. There is the 3.8 Spartan Sprint which I did, also the 8+ mile Super Spartan, and there is the 12+ mile Spartan Beast which contains over 25 obstacles. And if you are really feeling crazy there is the Spartan Death Race which is a two day non stop race filled with all kinds of holy hell. Bottom line is: go and have fun and don't worry about what others say about it. Everyone has different abilities and levels of performances. I'm pretty sure you will get one hell of a workout and will get a great feeling of accomplishment. Make sure you do as much trail running as possible and definately work on any and all manner of upper body training exercises especially push ups,pullups and rope climbing ahead of time. You should definately work on carrying heavy objects over a certain distance as well and practice a lot of belly crawls. During the race I had to do those under a long barb wire canopy. CF is a great program to do that will get you in great overall shape but you will still need to focus on some specific workouts as well for these type of races. They even have there own specific daily training WODs. http://www.spartanrace.com/wod/

Good luck and have fun and let us know how you did. :highfive:

Peter Queen 11-13-2012 02:55 PM

Here is the link to my CF post a few days after I finnished the race. Scroll down towards the bottom. Yep, I look and feel like crap. But I was happy I did it and my daughter and I were even happier when it was over. :D

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...39289&page=688

Cliff Miller 11-13-2012 08:12 PM

sorry if i created some confusion with my comments.

it was not my intent to discourage anyone from trying one event over another. the comments were just based on my involvement with the 2 events and i realize that there are both good and bad event organizers in any organization.

the important thing is that you get out and participate and have fun both in the training and the actual event.

anything that gets people off the couch and doing something active can not be all that bad.

Chris Jones 11-14-2012 05:00 AM

Rob, i did the one in Charlotte at the WWC last year and had a blast. I hadnt started Crossfit yet but had a decent cardio base and hadnt lifted weights in about a year. The obstacles are fun, lots of wall climbs, weighted rope lifts and trail running with a .5mile walk through thigh-deep mud in the Catawba River to burn your hip flexors all to crap. There is no obstacle the average person cant complete, and if you fail an obstacle the penalty is only 30 burpees. We do those for fun anyway right? ;) I only did the sprint as well, but the point of the sprint is really to just get out and have fun. If youre really looking to challenge yourself thats what the longer distance ones are for.

Peter Queen 11-14-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Miller (Post 1107468)
sorry if i created some confusion with my comments.

it was not my intent to discourage anyone from trying one event over another. the comments were just based on my involvement with the 2 events and i realize that there are both good and bad event organizers in any organization.

the important thing is that you get out and participate and have fun both in the training and the actual event.

anything that gets people off the couch and doing something active can not be all that bad.

It's all good Cliff. :highfive: I just wanted to give Rob my perspective as well. And you are right, anything that gets people off the couch is always a good thing.:pepper:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Jones (Post 1107509)
There is no obstacle the average person cant complete, and if you fail an obstacle the penalty is only 30 burpees. We do those for fun anyway right? ;)

Yep, I did plenty of those also.:eek: My problem was that being 6.5ft I was helping a lot of the shorter people get over some of the obsatcles which drained a lot of my own energy. Oh well, lessons learned I suppose.

Joshua Foladare 11-14-2012 01:33 PM

I ran the Vermont Spartan Beast this summer and it was absolute hell. With that said it was also some of the most fun I have ever had in my life.

Crossfit did an okay job prepping me for it, but I would recommend adding in extra hill sprints and climbing to get your legs ready.

Good luck and enjoy!