CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   competing for the cf games without doing crossfit? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68998)

Troy Kenshin 07-26-2011 01:31 PM

competing for the cf games without doing crossfit?

is it possible to be a contender in the cf games without actually following a randomized cf like program? and instead following a cyclic progressive overload program? reason being is that im training solely in o-lifts but im very interested in the games/ like programming my own workouts. if i were to keep training in o-lifts ( the box neara my college has open time in the morning when i train alone) plus some gymnastics work/ sprinting would that suffice to train for the games?

Katherine Derbyshire 07-26-2011 01:38 PM

Re: competing for the cf games without doing crossfit?

Try it and see.

Many, if not most, top CF Games competitors follow customized programming. There's certainly no requirement that you follow the main page or anything like it.

Whether the specific program that you have in mind would work is another question. I'd suggest assessing your strengths and weaknesses 6-9 months out and tweaking as needed.

Katherine

Eric Montgomery 07-26-2011 01:40 PM

I would say there aren't any Games competitors who are doing a randomized program. Randomness doesn't lend well to continued progress beyond the novice level.

Every Games competitor I've heard of follows an individualized program that includes strength work, skillwork on stuff like Oly lifts and gymnastics, sprint intervals, mobility work, assistance exercises, extra attention on their weaknesses, and CF-style conditioning workouts.

Yes, some combination of Oly lifting, gymnastics work, and sprint repeats would be a pretty good place to start. But you'd also have to be competent at CF-specific skills like wallballs and doubleunders and high-rep Oly lifts. And you'd need to have a silly level of baseline strength...think 400lb squat, 500lb deadlift, 275lb clean and jerk, 225lb snatch etc. to be in the ballpark of most of the guys competing at the Games.

Andrew Bell 07-26-2011 02:22 PM

Here we go again..... lol

David Meverden 07-26-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin (Post 965441)
if i were to keep training in o-lifts ( the box neara my college has open time in the morning when i train alone) plus some gymnastics work/ sprinting would that suffice to train for the games?

No, the program, as you described it, would not be enough. If you just sprint and work strength movements you will gas out when you get into 10-20 minute workouts that require a high intensity over time and muscle endurance in muscles besides your legs.

This was demonstrated by Josh Everett who was an early CF badass who's programming of sprinting and strength work (he is strong O-lifter) proved insufficient in 2008 and 2009. This was also demonstrated by a former decathlete, Joe Cebulski, who has posted on these boards. He had an all time best mile time of 4:29 and said this: "I have trained for over a decade to produce maximal force over a short period of time. Now, in my daily CF workouts, I am asked to produce and maintain it for long durations. Its been brutal...and FUN!!! I have a personal best in the clean of 325lbs set in 2008...but last week I got my !@# handed to me by 15 155lb squat cleans! Completely different energy system. But in the 500M row, I do quite well as it replicates a 400M run quite well. "

Mark E. Wallace 07-26-2011 03:07 PM

While it may be possible to be fit enough to compete in the Games without training at Crossfit, I struggle to imagine that one would do very well without the experience that comes only with having done Crossfit for a while.

- Mark

Matt Thomas 07-26-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Meverden (Post 965463)
This was demonstrated by Josh Everett who was an early CF badass who's programming of sprinting and strength work (he is strong O-lifter) proved insufficient in 2008 and 2009.

And you think switching from the program that he was doing to following CF would have changed the fact that he got edged out of first place on an O Lift workout? I doubt it. I don't take the fact that he won a close second in the games as proof that the way he trained was insufficient.

Yes I think you could compete for the games title without following CF (I mean if we want to get technical a lot of the top people don't really follow CF), however you would eventually have to practice CF style metcons and build up to an immensely high work load to have a chance.

Struan Potter 07-27-2011 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Thomas (Post 965476)
Yes I think you could compete for the games title without following CF (I mean if we want to get technical a lot of the top people don't really follow CF)

This depends on your interpretation of CrossFit.

Troy Kenshin 07-27-2011 06:43 AM

does anyone have any articles of any sort containing info on the type of non cf program that a top competitor would use (out of curiosity, i obi can't train how they do).
but once college starts theres a box down the block (the closest to my house is way to far) and the coach there said i can train there alone in the mornings so i was hoping he'd be able to help me with cf skills and the girls workouts while i train in the fitness components

Andrew Bell 07-27-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin (Post 965744)
does anyone have any articles of any sort containing info on the type of non cf program that a top competitor would use (out of curiosity, i obi can't train how they do).
but once college starts theres a box down the block (the closest to my house is way to far) and the coach there said i can train there alone in the mornings so i was hoping he'd be able to help me with cf skills and the girls workouts while i train in the fitness components

Chris Spealer did Chris Mason's "Weside Crossfit" and loved it apparently. There's a thread here so scroll down and check it out.

Suprised that there isn't the usual "random is best/periodized is best" going on here. :D