CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Digital Coaching (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=32775)

Robert Clarke 06-05-2008 10:19 PM

Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean
 
I've gone through these and have picked out some problems and I was wondering what you all can see as well.

Deadlift:

Deadlift

Snatch:

Snatch Side
Snatch Front

Squat:

Squat Side
Squat Rear

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Title should say Hanging Power Snatch. My bad.

Robert Callahan 06-05-2008 11:01 PM

Re: Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean
 
Don't know as much about the snatch so i will leave that for others :) The Deadlift looks great though, the weight looked pretty easy, but yeah form looked great :) Squat also look pretty good, but you were just barely getting to parralell and definantly not bellow. Really work on getting that butt all the way down bellow parrallel, if you can get someone to watch it helps cause a lot of the times it is hard to tell for yourself :) other than that looked great, keep it up!

-Robert

Robert Clarke 06-06-2008 09:18 AM

Re: Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean
 
Might as well throw a clean into the mix as well.

Clean

I'll try to get a front view today.

Robert Clarke 06-09-2008 07:36 PM

Re: Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean
 
Anyone?

Robert Callahan 06-09-2008 11:07 PM

Re: Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean
 
I guess I will respond to the clean, It looks pretty good but you are doing more of a power clean with a front squat at the end. If you pause the video when you stomp (which is when you also rack the bar) your knees are bent very little and the bar is at your shoulders. Think more about pulling yourself underneath the bar, also adding more wieght will force you to do this because it will be harder to pull it up so high. Your pulling mechanics looked pretty good to me though, just like your deadlift :) Sorry im the only response... maybe they are just so good others don't want to add on more... :rofl: Keep up the good work!

-Robert

Brandon Tullos 06-10-2008 01:44 PM

Re: Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean
 
On the deadlift the first thing i notice is that your back is rounded. Your back should be tense and straight i was told to imagine someone just poured cold water down your back. your chest should be out and back should be nice a flat but the hips look good

Andrea Grant 06-10-2008 05:33 PM

Re: Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean
 
Deadlift looked good
Squat looked good except should be lower
Clean back looked a little rounded at the setup.
Hang power snatch...why do you start leaning forward?...look at the scoop training video on the main site for hang power snatch... http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/S...ining_CFSC.wmv

Robert Clarke 06-11-2008 07:28 AM

Re: Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Callahan (Post 327789)
I guess I will respond to the clean, It looks pretty good but you are doing more of a power clean with a front squat at the end. If you pause the video when you stomp (which is when you also rack the bar) your knees are bent very little and the bar is at your shoulders. Think more about pulling yourself underneath the bar, also adding more wieght will force you to do this because it will be harder to pull it up so high. Your pulling mechanics looked pretty good to me though, just like your deadlift :) Sorry im the only response... maybe they are just so good others don't want to add on more... :rofl: Keep up the good work!

-Robert

Will do. I just used the lighter weight just as a form check. I figured if I had poor technique with light weight then I definitely would with heavier cleans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Tullos (Post 328186)
On the deadlift the first thing i notice is that your back is rounded. Your back should be tense and straight i was told to imagine someone just poured cold water down your back. your chest should be out and back should be nice a flat but the hips look good

Damn I'll try harder and start doing some thoracic expansion exercises. I actually was putting a huge effort into getting my chest out to flatten the shoulders. It was the first thing I noticed too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea Grant (Post 328330)
Deadlift looked good
Squat looked good except should be lower
Clean back looked a little rounded at the setup.
Hang power snatch...why do you start leaning forward?...look at the scoop training video on the main site for hang power snatch... http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/S...ining_CFSC.wmv

Heh yeah I saw the squat too. I went in the next day and remedied that with a friend. Damn, more rounded back. Thanks!

Cool vid. I'll see if i can't clean it up a bit and post another vid in a day or so.

Thanks for the comments.

John Pavlic 06-11-2008 08:28 AM

Re: Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean
 
Robert:

I don't recall if you mentioned in your first post how long you have been consistently working these trying these lifts or not, but your form looks pretty good for someone just starting to work on the deadlift and squat to get to better form.

I would agree with past comments about working to go just below parallel on the squats and trying to get a less rounded back at the start of the deadlift. If you concentrate on hitting a below parallel squat on the free/body weight squat in some the WOD (where your pumping out much higher reps) it will probably cross over to the back/weighted squat through the extra reps of practice. The high rep free squats will also help with flexibility in your hamstrings and that makes it easier to below parallel too.

That said, your squat and deadlift form are better than 95% of the guys I see in my gym cheating every which way to force up too much weight and squatting not even close to the depth that you hit. So good job on the squats!

You might trying starting with your butt down a little lower on the deadlift and head up slightly above looking straight ahead. Ironically, sometimes working the squat to get below parallel will help on these because it will make it feel more natural to start lower on the deadlift too.

On the snatches and the cleans, they look pretty good for power cleans and snatches. But if you really want to get down the pulls and "catches" (where you pull your self under the weight as it is moving up) on those exercises with weight, watch all the demo vids under the heading "Olympic lifting" by Coach Burgener and after watching them try the lifts with an empty Olympic bar again or even with a broom stick or pvc pipe. His coaching in the videos helped me a lot on the snatches. I was totally muscling them up before I watched those.

Jason M Struck 06-11-2008 09:47 AM

Re: Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Power Clean
 
i agree that most tech. is very proficient for a beginner.

DL: more thoracic extension would be ideal.
-retract shoulders
-arch low back

you're power clean suffers due to these same faults, as does the rack position of your front squat.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.