CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hand Tears (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=84414)

Andrew J Carr 09-30-2013 12:13 AM

Hand Tears

Hi All,

So I've been CrossFitting for almost 5 months now and I have had a serious problem with hand tears. No matter what I seem to do (pedegg, file, cuticle trimmer, etc.) nothing seems to stop my hands from tearing. I've tried switching up my grip on the bar as well and that only causes rips in different areas. I use chalk too.

Any other suggestions? I'm one more tear away from getting gloves.

Margaux Burton 09-30-2013 01:52 AM

Re: Hand Tears

difficult situation since it sounds like you are taking necessary steps to prevent tearing. one question, when you say you are switching grip on the bar do you mean that during any given workout you are switching your grip? or are you using a constant grip for a period of time, then switching it (days or weeks later)?
Depending upon the specific grip demand of a workout I may change the way I hold/grip a bar 2-3 times. Even with the barbell. I've found that using hook grip, while extremely strong, seperates my thumbnail from the skin and is very painful.
Perhaps you can use a few strips of well placed tape on your hands to alleviate the problem. Good luck

Jayme Gruber 09-30-2013 08:43 AM

I use a callus shaver very often to keep them low: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Callus-Sh...l?cm_vc=SEARCH WFS
Then I sand them down after with an emery board to make sure there aren't any loose pieces and put on a little lotion.
And I also keep a pumice stone in the shower so I can run it over my hands at the end of my shower when my hands are soft.

It seems extreme, but I got really tired of tearing my hands. I've done this for probably a year and haven't torn a callus yet. I still tear very rarely on my palms if doing a ton of pullups or TTB but it's usually very minimal.

Courtney Green 09-30-2013 07:41 PM

If a file isn't helping much (although, I'd still keep the calluses filed down a bit), I'd check out some gymnastic hand grips. You can find them on amazon, they run between $10-25 a pair. These are especially great for pull-ups, but you could also use them on deadlifts as well. They protect your palm, especially the area that tends to shred the most (underneath the ring and middle fingers), they hold chalk well, and are thin enough to still maintain a great grip. This is a MUCH better option than gloves (gloves are too slick and too thick- actually makes pull-ups and lifting more difficult). Hope that helps!

Brian Neal Carpenter 10-01-2013 02:58 AM

I use the Rogue gymnastics grips in any WOD that involves more than 50+ total pull-ups. This really cut down on the problems with torn hands.

Anthony Hernandez 10-01-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew J Carr (Post 1197807)
Hi All,

So I've been CrossFitting for almost 5 months now and I have had a serious problem with hand tears. No matter what I seem to do (pedegg, file, cuticle trimmer, etc.) nothing seems to stop my hands from tearing. I've tried switching up my grip on the bar as well and that only causes rips in different areas. I use chalk too.

Any other suggestions? I'm one more tear away from getting gloves.

Two quick suggestions:

First, let them tear and build up in particular stop filing, shaving or trimming them down. Absolutely do not put lotions or oils on your hand. Simply leave them alone.

In WODs involving copious amounts of deads, pu, etc. I might advice lifting straps if applicable.

Second, the leading cause of tearing is typically "death gripping" the equipment you are playing with. You do not have to nor should you need to grip as hard as you can the pull-up or lifting bar. Ditto the kettle bell. The grip should be secure and firm that's about it. Most athletes that come up to me with "shredded" hands typically over grip the bar. It's not necessary.

The second major cause is over use and abuse of chalk. Excessive chalk use can dry out the hands leaving them brittle and susceptible to tears.

Matt Davies 10-01-2013 08:05 PM

stop using chalk.

are you using chalk in every wod? I only use chalk in wods with higher reps where sweat starts becoming a grip issue, don't have much of an issue with tears.

From my experience, have done wods with lots of muscle ups, don't chalk till sweat start compromising grip, chalk wrists and a few reps later....TEAR...

Blair Robert Lowe 10-01-2013 09:26 PM

Gloves can actually can bunch and rip as well.

Michael Cook 10-02-2013 11:39 AM

On pull up, and T2B, if you are adjusting your grip during the movement, so that you try to get your palm on top of the bar at the top of the movement, and your hand slides down as you go down, this will cause a lot of friction on your hands and cause tears.

So try to keep your hand in the same position on the bar during pull ups and T2B, and not let your hand slide around.

Struan Potter 10-02-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Cook (Post 1198457)
So try to keep your hand in the same position on the bar during pull ups and T2B, and not let your hand slide around.

This. And apply it to the barbell too. If the bars moving around in your hand it'll cause friction which causes tears.