CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 01-07-2011 07:19 AM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Shannon Mullens;887880]Wow. Nicely done, Nik!

I was thinking of you yesterday while listening to NPR - they had a photographer from National Geographic on named Nik Nichols! But I figured it probably wasn't you. Dunno.

Anyway, it's good to see you getting stronger too. Are you totally done that strength cycle you were doing? How do you feel from that?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Shannon, as for the workout it can be done faster. My runs were slow and getting the first deadlift took some time, but 225 after a wile gets really hard for me, it isnt a real easy weight for me like some of the stronger guys on here, but really happy with the workout.

I wisk I worked for Nat Geo, it wasnt me.

We are starting another strenth cycle next week of squats and weighted dips.
I liked the results of the last cycle, but I paid a price by doing less metcon. I am just starting to get it back now. That and I neglected some weakness in the strenth cycle. Thes time will be more weakness training for the up coming by in for the regionals. I have right at two months to get some goats ironed out and maybe get stronger in the squat.

Shannon Mullens 01-07-2011 07:21 AM

So is your goal to compete this year? That would be awesome!

As for strength vs. metcon - I hear it's kind of a tradeoff, but it's easier to get the metcon back after you build the strength, then the other way around?

Nik Nichols 01-07-2011 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=Shannon Mullens;887891]So is your goal to compete this year? That would be awesome!

As for strength vs. metcon - I hear it's kind of a tradeoff, but it's easier to get the metcon back after you build the strength, then the other way around?[/QUOTE]

You got it, I'm in this year if it all works out. this year you either video in or go to a ''registered gym'' to get your videos in. There isn't any more details in then that, so we will see how it goes. I have talked to my local gym and they are good for it as long as they can get registered.

I hate to say it but next year I am in the masters group:shrug: I'll compete then too.

As for the strenth program, you are right on. You get stronger just fine but loose metcon because, well you just arent in the breathless state as much and arent comfortable in it any more. but after a week or two it comes back, you just have to push into it again.

Ernie Guevara 01-07-2011 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;887879]A.M. warm up

Friday 110107
"Rankel"

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
225 pound Deadlift, 6 reps
7 Burpee pull-ups
10 Kettlebell swings, 2 pood
Run 200 meters

5 rounds 1 deadlift

God bless your familly and may you rest in his arms now. Thank you to you and your familly.[/QUOTE]
Good stuff there nik!!! Good early morning performance! What did u fnd the hardest part to be, burpee pullups or 2 pod swings?

Nik Nichols 01-07-2011 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;887939]Good stuff there nik!!! Good early morning performance! What did u fnd the hardest part to be, burpee pullups or 2 pod swings?[/QUOTE]

The run, the swing was tough, the burpee pullups were fine, just endure them.

But like I said the run was mental. I didn't even want to run, I lost alot of time not running fast. Deads got hard for me at the end.

You will get 6 or 7 round I know it. I just didn't have the leg to run hard after all the rest. (I like burpee pullups)

Scott Jenkins 01-07-2011 08:54 AM

I assumed the run would be a good time to get your breath back ready for the next round, like a fast jog so sounds like you did it the right way Nik. good work getting that hero workout done early. I say again :D

Nik Nichols 01-07-2011 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;887945]I assumed the run would be a good time to get your breath back ready for the next round, like a fast jog so sounds like you did it the right way Nik. good work getting that hero workout done early. I say again :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks Scott, this morning just kind of happened. I was glad for it first thing.

You are right on the runs, I tell you I thought of what you told Ernie about Monty. I wanted to walk on the turn arround I wanted to walk on the runs period. But I told monty ''no'' and kept moving. Real happy about that.

The only other time loss was getting set on the bar for the deads, I did take a few breaths to make sure of my for for my back, but i would rather loose time on set up then get injured.

I tell you on set 4 rep 5 on the deads I felt w trwaek and then I tried to pull it off the ground again and no go, I walked arrround the bar and pulled the last rep and was on to the burpees. Last round was real deliberate on the deads. I am fine now. No pain.

Scott Jenkins 01-07-2011 09:26 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;887955]Thanks Scott, this morning just kind of happened. I was glad for it first thing.

You are right on the runs, I tell you I thought of what you told Ernie about Monty. I wanted to walk on the turn arround I wanted to walk on the runs period. But I told monty ''no'' and kept moving. Real happy about that.

The only other time loss was getting set on the bar for the deads, I did take a few breaths to make sure of my for for my back, but i would rather loose time on set up then get injured.

I tell you on set 4 rep 5 on the deads I felt w trwaek and then I tried to pull it off the ground again and no go, I walked arrround the bar and pulled the last rep and was on to the burpees. Last round was real deliberate on the deads. I am fine now. No pain.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the tweak was just a warning and you headed it which meant your ok right now so thats good news Nik, I have been there before.

My affiliate has posted 'Rankel' as todays workout of the day on there site so I am thinking maybe we will be doing it in class tonight although the run 200m would mean going down the stairs for each round which would be fun really. Oh yes have a look on my affiliates page today as I am on it demonstrating a muscle up. PS The rings were too low to fully extend my arms so dont say I cheated! :p [URL="http://www.crossfitessex.co.uk/"]http://www.crossfitessex.co.uk/[/URL]

Nik Nichols 01-07-2011 09:39 AM

10:00 Break
20 MUs man they are sucking right now, I had a lot of misses, I really don't know what is up with it. More practice I guess.

Nik Nichols 01-07-2011 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;887959]Sounds like the tweak was just a warning and you headed it which meant your ok right now so thats good news Nik, I have been there before.

My affiliate has posted 'Rankel' as todays workout of the day on there site so I am thinking maybe we will be doing it in class tonight although the run 200m would mean going down the stairs for each round which would be fun really. Oh yes have a look on my affiliates page today as I am on it demonstrating a muscle up. PS The rings were too low to fully extend my arms so dont say I cheated! :p [URL="http://www.crossfitessex.co.uk/"]http://www.crossfitessex.co.uk/[/URL][/QUOTE]

I'll check it out in a bit, Cool you will do todays easy with out a make up.