CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Matthew Green 08-07-2009 12:53 PM

Re: Nik

Loving the CFFB, I just wanted to focus more on strength and build a good base, but I don't want to sacrifice too much metcon with my fire service physical tests coming up.

Nice job on the L-pullup workout, i'm currently gym hopping to try and find a crossfit friendly one for squatting, the one i'm in at the moment with the worlds worst pullup station. It has no middle but 2 curved rubber handles at the sides making it impossible to do chins!

Nik Nichols 08-08-2009 08:21 AM

Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5 reps

X fit WU x2 with 40 lbs.
20 GHD situps

today all with hook grip!
1. 245lbs
2. 245lbs
3. 245lbs
4. 255lbs
5. 260lbs
total weight 1250lbs
last time with mixed grip
1. 225
2. 225
3. 235
4. 245
5. 250
total weight 1180lbs

Scott Jenkins 08-08-2009 09:49 AM

Great work on the deadlifts Nik, glad you took my advice and got a PR!! Hope tomorrows WOD is easy on the lower back, core and hamstrings as mine are killing.

Nik Nichols 08-08-2009 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;640146]Great work on the deadlifts Nik, glad you took my advice and got a PR!! Hope tomorrows WOD is easy on the lower back, core and hamstrings as mine are killing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, thanks for the advice too. I think the best advice I got so far is'' When you feel like you can't do one more, do one more.''

Or was it you who said, on the air squats, ''It's only pain, you can do one more'' Which actually worked for me.

Can't wait for tomarrow.

Brad Rasmussen 08-08-2009 12:20 PM

I see that we're almost neck and neck on those deadlifts, you've got me by 5lbs. though. I know that crossfit encourages the hook grip, but what's the advantage of it, I find it to be very uncomfortable.

Nik Nichols 08-08-2009 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=Brad Rasmussen;640222]I see that we're almost neck and neck on those deadlifts, you've got me by 5lbs. though. I know that crossfit encourages the hook grip, but what's the advantage of it, I find it to be very uncomfortable.[/QUOTE]

Ah congrats, I will check your log in a bit.

Hook grip helps your grip all across everywhere else. Grip strenth. You are less likely or able to bend your arms and threated your bicepts with both hands in the over hand grip. Which is really unlikely. I would have used the mix grip if I would have failed to get a set from grip.
Scott Ernie, chime in if I am wrong or forgot anything.
:run:

Ernie Guevara 08-08-2009 01:55 PM

I know the hook grip is better but not sure what the advantages are since I have not mastered it myself. I too find it uncomfortable but probably because I'm not use to it. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or not but my thumbs hurt a lot when I use it. Sometimes I honk my hands are too small for he hook grip because I can barely get 2 fingersiver my thumbs while doing it. I know it helps ur grip from slipping especially in the cleans and snatches. I think all the Olympic lifting coaches recommend it so it's gotta be better than regular grip. Well those were my 2 cents, hope that helped somehow.

Jesse Emers 08-08-2009 02:00 PM

Nice work on the deadlifts dude! You know that you can use [I]hook mixed[/I] grip:eek:, try it out sometime.

Scott Jenkins 08-08-2009 02:19 PM

The hook grip locks your grip in place so rather than losing the bar during the pull all the pressure goes onto your thumbs which in turn takes some getting use to. I generally grip normal overhand until the weight tests my grip and then change to hook grip. It does hurt at first and can be uncomfortable but we are crossfitting not applying make up. :D

Nik Nichols 08-09-2009 07:59 AM

"Tabata Something Else"

Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises

pulups 93
push ups 75
situps 63
squats 98
total 329

If I never tabatta again it will be to soon.