CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 03-08-2013 03:00 PM

Re: Nik

Back still a mess, two sets of rolling my back for 5:00mins a set.

Scott Jenkins 03-09-2013 02:19 AM

Hope the backs loosened off a bit today Nik. If not try and have a day working around it and a long hot bath. Have a good weekend mate.

Nik Nichols 03-11-2013 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1146683]Hope the backs loosened off a bit today Nik. If not try and have a day working around it and a long hot bath. Have a good weekend mate.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, my back is still hurting and I'm still on the meds, and heating pad. (well I was all weekend) but at work today so stretching today. I am pretty down today so I will try to just keep stretching and feel I did something.

Scott Jenkins 03-11-2013 07:51 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1147054]Thanks, my back is still hurting and I'm still on the meds, and heating pad. (well I was all weekend) but at work today so stretching today. I am pretty down today so I will try to just keep stretching and feel I did something.[/QUOTE]

This has been going on for longer than usual, sorry to hear Nik. All you can do is keep on the move and be careful not to overstretch and send the muscles into defence mode, keep moving about is the best thing.

Matthew Williams 03-11-2013 08:00 AM

Hi Nik, sorry to hear about you back. I see you've been doing a lot of rolling lately, but maybe a bit of hip flexor work might help. The usual couch stretch and pigeon pose seem to really help me if I'm suffering with a twingy back.

One thing myself and Rob have noticed is that instead of trying to keep your torso upright on the couch stretch you can put your hands on the floor. Then you can push your hips forward and focus on the hip flexor rather than sometimes over extending your lower back. Something to try if you're not already

Nik Nichols 03-11-2013 08:20 AM

[QUOTE=Matthew Williams;1147064]Hi Nik, sorry to hear about you back. I see you've been doing a lot of rolling lately, but maybe a bit of hip flexor work might help. The usual couch stretch and pigeon pose seem to really help me if I'm suffering with a twingy back.

One thing myself and Rob have noticed is that instead of trying to keep your torso upright on the couch stretch you can put your hands on the floor. Then you can push your hips forward and focus on the hip flexor rather than sometimes over extending your lower back. Something to try if you're not already[/QUOTE]

Will do and thanks. I do that couch stretch and do like you said, I push the hips down for the first 30 seconds or so then go up, I will work the bottom more. I have been rolling my glutes and upper glutes too. I will stretch it all like you said here at my 10:00 break..

The reason I am rolling so much is if I can get it( lower back) to pop it feel great for a wile.

Matthew Williams 03-11-2013 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1147071]
The reason I am rolling so much is if I can get it( lower back) to pop it feel great for a wile.[/QUOTE]

I know that feeling. I once had horrible pain in my lower back, even getting into bed was terrible. Then as I laid down I twisted and heard a loud crack and the pain just went. Obviously it was still stiff but the acute pain was gone. Very strange, but the relief was amazing

Nik Nichols 03-11-2013 08:57 AM

[QUOTE=Matthew Williams;1147090]I know that feeling. I once had horrible pain in my lower back, even getting into bed was terrible. Then as I laid down I twisted and heard a loud crack and the pain just went. Obviously it was still stiff but the acute pain was gone. Very strange, but the relief was amazing[/QUOTE]

Exactly, mine is like that all though after a wile ig can get sore and tight again, the crack helps it for a wile it seems.

Nik Nichols 03-11-2013 08:58 AM

10:00 break.

rolled my back 2:00min
rolled piriformis 2:00min a side

rolled glutes 2:00min a side.

More in store at lunch.

Nik Nichols 03-11-2013 12:01 PM

rolled and stretches my back,glutes, hips for 30:00mins

10 reps of 15 foot rope climb, not for time. slow and careful for my back. At least it was something.