CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Rejected article written for Crossfit Journal (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83934)

Andrew N. Casey 10-06-2013 12:52 PM

Re: Rejected article written for Crossfit Journal

nice man. congrats on a good hunt and on your new found life of fitness. i hope to get up that way and hunt someday. i am heading for a deer and elk hunt in a few days, so my reasons for training are much the same as yours.

Michael Keller 10-06-2013 02:39 PM

Great write-up and journey Jim, thanks for sharing. Good job!!

David Narens 10-15-2013 02:44 PM

I just got back from a stag hunt in the Scottish highlands. I was more than good to go due to my CF training also. I was on the stalker's heels the whole time while the men in our group were ready for a break on the third day. Being in physical shape is key to having fun on these hunting trips.

Jim Wojciehowski 10-16-2013 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=David Narens;1201493]I just got back from a stag hunt in the Scottish highlands. I was more than good to go due to my CF training also. I was on the stalker's heels the whole time while the men in our group were ready for a break on the third day. Being in physical shape is key to having fun on these hunting trips.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. Love to hear about your Scottish trip. PM me some contact info if you want to chat. Don't want to polute the board with talk from us "blood lusting Barbarians". ;)

I must say though, right now I have Moose, Caribou, and Dall Sheep in my freezer and the Sheep is just freaking amazing. I may have to try again next year. Sheep hunters, like all mountain hunters, have short memories when it comes to the pain.

Keep up the good work on the Crossfit. I can honestly say I'm probably in even better shape now than I was at the start of the hunt in August. I haven't been walking with the pack weighted though. I should probably keep that up as long as possible until we hit some major snow, which for us is probably not far off.

Andrew Bell 10-17-2013 09:42 AM

Nice write up. Shame on the Journal for not wanting to publish this.

Jim Wojciehowski 10-17-2013 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=Andrew Bell;1201847]Nice write up. Shame on the Journal for not wanting to publish this.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they recieve many, many articles and that likely weighed heavily on their choice of whether to publish mine or not.

I do have to admit I was a little surprised at the rationale explained in the rejection email. I take it as meaning the Crossfit Journal is published for Crossfitters that are already aware of the fact that Crossfit can help one achieve physical goals dictated by activities pursued outside the Box.

Frankly for me, initially, that is exactly why I started Crossfitting. But as I tried to outline in the article I found so much more in that Box than just an exercise program. For Joyce and I it was the "fitness family" that adopted us that kept us coming back and keeps me coming back long after that Dall Sheep hunt.

Alden Hingle 10-24-2013 06:45 PM

Jim - Nice write-up. I really enjoyed reading it; thank you for posting.

Jim Wojciehowski 10-30-2013 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=Alden Hingle;1203297]Jim - Nice write-up. I really enjoyed reading it; thank you for posting.[/QUOTE]

58 eh? Turned 60 today. Already planning the next mountain hunt. :pepper:

Alden Hingle 10-31-2013 05:17 PM

Happy birthday and good luck on the hunt. I'll be 59 in December. We're planning a camping vacation in Alaska when I retire in a couple of years. If I could get my company to let me take more than a two month sabbatical, we'd get there sooner. Lol We just know we'll need more than two months to see everything we want to see when we get there.

Jim Wojciehowski 11-01-2013 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=Alden Hingle;1204399]Happy birthday and good luck on the hunt. I'll be 59 in December. We're planning a camping vacation in Alaska when I retire in a couple of years. If I could get my company to let me take more than a two month sabbatical, we'd get there sooner. Lol We just know we'll need more than two months to see everything we want to see when we get there.[/QUOTE]

Very wise of you to allot enough time to truly explore this great State. Many friends or relatives from the lower 48 come up and only have 7 - 10 days but look at a map and decide they will go to Denali, then to Seward and Homer, and don't realize they have set themselves up for 10 hours of driving leaving little time to actually enjoy the trip.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Cheers
Jim