CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lower Back Pain (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=15152)

Josh Bridges 07-27-2006 12:16 PM

So I guess it has been a couple of weeks now and I feel this stiffness in my back when ever I lean backwards at the waist. That is really the only time I feel it, it feels like I'm putting pressure on something at the base of my spine where it meets the pelvic bone. Just wondering what some peoples thoughts are.

Skip Chase 07-27-2006 01:03 PM

Josh- it could be tight hip flexors, or Iliopsoas. They are actually 2 muscles, the iliacus and psoas major. The psoas major is the larger of the 2 and originates on the anterior(front of) lumbar vertebrae and attach to the femur. Many people who do a lot of sitting have tight hip flexors resulting in low back pain.
An individual will try to bend forward at the waist and try reaching for the toes to try to stretch the low back, to no avail nor relief.

Try the 'Samson stretch'(CrossFit warm-up) and even try to elevate the back knee to get an even better stretch.

That's my 2 cents.

Jerimiah Childress 07-27-2006 01:21 PM

Kind of vague Josh, can you be a little more specific. There are lots of causes of back pain and stiffness and we would need to get more info before we could give any advice. What were you doing when it started feeling this way? Is this the first time this has ever happened? Have you had anybody check it out? How long have you been exercising at all and how long crossfit? Give us as much as you can.

Paul Symes 07-27-2006 01:27 PM

I would see an Osteopath to be sure but...

Worth a try:

If you lay on your back with your legs bent and your knees pointing upwards. Draw an imaginary line between your navel and your hip bone. 2/3 of the way along that line with your navel as the starting point, press down into your stomach with your thumb or a couple of fingers. To the side of your abbs you'll feel a sausage shaped muscle, that's your psoas, if it's painful, that's the problem. If you're not sure you've got the right muscle, lift your leg on that side up and the muscle that you feel tense should be the hip flexor

(Message edited by symzie on July 27, 2006)

Josh Bridges 07-27-2006 03:16 PM

Thanks so much for the help...I've been doing crossfit for about 6 months. Worked out for about 2 years before that. The only time I can think of when my back really started to bother me was when we did the squat cleans and dips a week or so back. I'm pretty sure that is when the pain didn't go away. Before that I could stretch it out. Now it is starting to be pretty painful just lying on my stomach on a floor. I really appreciate all the help.

(Message edited by bridges on July 27, 2006)

Andrew G. Greenberg 07-27-2006 04:51 PM

check out Frank Needham's thread on his back pain...

Jason Steele 07-27-2006 07:21 PM

Go see an osteopath or get a chiropractic adjustment, it will do you a world of good. Apply some ice packs one an hour or so and do those stretches.

William Hunter 07-28-2006 04:01 AM

sounds like facet-generated pain to me.