CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Putting rubber skids on a Rogue Monster Yoke (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=85334)

Ryan Robertson 12-04-2013 03:17 PM

Putting rubber skids on a Rogue Monster Yoke

I'm trying to come up with a solution to a problem to ensure that my friendly neighborhood Parks Department doesn't get mad when I use my yoke on the blacktop or courts - I want to make sure it won't tear up the surface. The only solution I can think of would be to take some rubber (either an old mat or car tire) and place them under the metal skids. Has anybody else encountered this problem and/or found a workable solution? Thank you!

Frank Ngo 12-04-2013 08:24 PM

Re: Putting rubber skids on a Rogue Monster Yoke

I've yet to experiment with it, however, this may work for you. I plan on doing it this upcoming week to see how well it fares.

Plan is to go to HomeDepot and grab a sheet of polycarbonate or something similar (whichever is thickest/priced fair) cut and attach it to the bottom of the skis via 3M double sided tape. Or liquid nails if the prior does not hold. Old rubber tires sounds equally as feasible, probably free from a local tire shop as well.

I will be doing it to a Y-1.

Douglas Schmale 12-05-2013 06:03 AM

I'd vote for cheap plastic cutting boards - the softish type - and windshield urethane. That will be a pain to clean when the cutting boards wear out; which will be pretty quickly. It would be super quiet though. Liquid nails or double sided tape will let go the moment you set the yoke down with any forward momentum. The liguid nails is too rigid when cured and will shear, while the 3M tape isnt strong enough.

Strips of tire wrapped and secured/buckled up top are probably the best, non permanent solution.

David Kiesling 12-05-2013 06:55 AM

Isn't UHMW plastic pretty abrasion resistant? You might be able to get it to stay on by sanding and cleaning the surfaces and applying epoxy.

Mike Gin 12-05-2013 08:27 AM

If you don't care what it looks like, you can use 2"x6" lumber and then get nylon straps/webbing and wrap over the top of the steel and screw into the top of the 2"x6". Cut it so it fits between the skids as close as possible so it won't slide under load. Replace as it wears out. You could do 2x4 as well you'd just have to screw it into the sides. 2x4's are a couple of bucks for an 8' length, cheap solution.

Synthetic decking (i.e. Trex) will work as well, it is about 3/4" thick. I have that on my sled, wears pretty fast on my street since it is pretty rough. Should be better on a smooth surfaces. The only problem being 3/4" thick is you can't sink a very long screw into it to hold it in place.

Ryan Robertson 12-05-2013 08:40 AM

Thanks for the replies, gents!

Yeah, I think the tire solution will be the easiest/least messy one, especially given how it would seem much more convenient to be able to take the skids off. I like the cutting board idea, but you're right that liquid nails would probably shear.

Frank, Douglas is probably right, I can't imagine double-sided tape working with the amount of momentum you'll have with the yoke. Strapping it on might work, though.

David, I looked up the UHMW specs and it does seem to be a pretty neat solution! Would its low coefficient of friction cause it to slide uncontrolled when the yoke is put down (it's been a while since I've taken physics)? The problem, as Douglas pointed out, is the possibility of the epoxy shearing with the forward momentum of a loaded yoke.

I have a spare stall mat, I think I'm gonna cut it into two long strips running the length of the supports and up the ends, bolted through the pulling hole hole. Do you think the bolt would tear the mat when the yoke is put down?

Ryan Robertson 12-05-2013 08:43 AM

Decking! I hadn't even considered that, and it's already in strips, isn't it! Yeah, how to securely affix it to the structure seems to be the biggest hurdle.

Dakota Base 12-05-2013 03:58 PM

HDPE or UHMWPE cutting boards bolted to the bottom would be great. Drill partially through them with a forstner bit to countersink the bolt head.

Another option would be to use rubber stall mat feet at each end of the yoke legs, or under the entire length. Again, forstner bit partially through to countersink the heads.

Or a cheaper option, wrap a car floor mat around the bottom legs, and secure it to the sides of the perforated tubing with the weight rack flange bolts.

Matt Haxmeier 12-05-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Base (Post 1209571)
HDPE or UHMWPE cutting boards bolted to the bottom would be great. Drill partially through them with a forstner bit to countersink the bolt head.

Another option would be to use rubber stall mat feet at each end of the yoke legs, or under the entire length. Again, forstner bit partially through to countersink the heads.

^^I did this with the HDPE cutting board scraps off ebay. I went with 1" thick disks and drilled partly through them and bolted them to the bottom. It looks like this... https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...89743648_n.jpg (WFS)

I tried just using the 4x4's by themselves but it smelled like a forest fire and made me want to puke even more than normal.

The disks wear down fairly reasonably. I'll probably go through a set a year. But it was about $20 for probably 2 full sets worth. I'd like something a little more robust but haven't figured out anything better yet. They work great but I'd like it if they were just a touch more durable.

Ryan Robertson 12-05-2013 06:10 PM

Much appreciated, thank you!!