CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fish Oil (Omapure + misc questions) (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=61226)

Brian D Williams 09-04-2010 10:11 AM

Fish Oil (Omapure + misc questions)

I've been reading a lot about fish oil (and using the SEARCH feature here :) ). I'm now just trying to finalize the decision on which brand to purchase, and had a few questions.

1) Does anyone here take Omapure? It seems to be a lower price point than others and it's been tested by IFOS.

2) It doesn't appear that the Costco brand has been tested (at least by IFOS . Or is it under a different name than Kirkland Signature? (or perhaps tested by another facility?) Any pointers here appreciated.

3) It seems the ratio of EPA/DHA differs in all brands. I thought a 2:1 ratio was good, but some are 3:1 and some are like 1.5/1. How much does this matter and would you change your dosage based on this?

Thanks!
Brian

Wayne Riddle 09-04-2010 12:47 PM

Re: Fish Oil (Omapure + misc questions)

Omapure seems pretty expensive to me. Natural Factors and Jarrows Formulas are half the cost (both WFS). I wouldn't worry about IFOS, but that is just me. I don't have any issues with the Costco brand, good choice too.

As for ratios, most seem to be in the 2:1 range. I would like to find a 1:1 EPA/DHA in a high amount per capsule at a decent price, but not going to lose any sleep over it.

Brian D Williams 09-04-2010 03:40 PM

Thanks Wayne.

Maybe I'm missing something but 1 bottle of Omapure is ~$30+shipping. The two links you added are $30 and $25 + ship, and while both of these are 240 capsules compared to the 120 in Omapure, there's still less Fish Oil concentrate if you took 2 pills vs. the 1 Omapure. So seems like you get more for less with Omapure when you do a comparison of the actual Fish Oil / EPA/DHA.

I'm curious why you wouldn't worry about IFOS? (I certainly worry about putting PCBs, etc. into my body.)

Wayne Riddle 09-04-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian D Williams (Post 838640)
Maybe I'm missing something but 1 bottle of Omapure is ~$30+shipping. The two links you added are $30 and $25 + ship, and while both of these are 240 capsules compared to the 120 in Omapure, there's still less Fish Oil concentrate if you took 2 pills vs. the 1 Omapure. So seems like you get more for less with Omapure when you do a comparison of the actual Fish Oil / EPA/DHA.

I'm curious why you wouldn't worry about IFOS? (I certainly worry about putting PCBs, etc. into my body.)

Check the math, the Omapure is a little under 600mg EPA/DHA per capsule (2390 per serving divided by 4 capsules per serving. The Natural Factors iand Jarrows are 600mg, pretty much a wash.

As for the IFOS, that is something the companies pay to say they are certified, not an industry standard. Stuff that I've read is you don't have to worry about PCB/heavy metals such as mercury from the fish oil, it isn't there (according to my listening of Robb Wolf).

Brian D Williams 09-06-2010 11:57 PM

Yep, you're right - I missed the "serving size". Thanks.

Anyone else have comments on the 3 questions above?

Mike McGee 09-08-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian D Williams (Post 838563)
2) It doesn't appear that the Costco brand has been tested (at least by IFOS . Or is it under a different name than Kirkland Signature? (or perhaps tested by another facility?) Any pointers here appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian

Brian, I wasn't to happy when I read that IFOS report. I take Barleans. I have heard from many people they are a good company. Their whole purpose in being in business is Fish Oil. Also, many CrossFitters use Carlsons and they weren't on there either. Don't sweat the IFOS report, do your research and choose the product you feel will most benefit you. There's a ton of information in the forum and online.

Mike