CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Paleo prevents Western Diseases? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=44880)

Andrew Lallos 04-01-2009 02:22 PM

Paleo prevents Western Diseases?

I never like to say that I know anything for sure, unless I KNOW that I know what I am talking about so I'm going to bring my question here.

It is true that adopting a Paleo diet is the real, proper way to prevent Western Diseases in the realm of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, etc. correct?

I would imagine this has a correlation to the absence of starchy, grain based carbohydrates? But can someone explain how or why (in lay-man's terms please).

I've been trying to explain this to some co-workers of mine, and even though I am not 100% Paleo, I try, and when I explain my reasoning for my eat habits to co-workers they don't get it. They can't wrap there heads around how their turkey sandwich (keyword: sandwich) is no good for them if they have low-fat mayonnaise and whole grain bread.

Can someone shed some light, or at least point me in the direction of some articles or posts on here that will? I tried searching, but perhaps my skills with the search function are not that great, because I was not getting the info I desired.

:thanx:

Scott Clark 04-01-2009 02:44 PM

Re: Paleo prevents Western Diseases?

Good luck finding any scientific proof. Why is low fat mayo and whole grain bread not good for them? It's people's opinions that those foods are somehow bad. Different people thrive on different diets.

Jack Stetson 04-01-2009 02:50 PM

Andrew --

It's a tough sell because it really hasn't been proven. It's more of a hypothesis based on population studies and a limited understanding of human physiology.

I for one buy into it. But at the same time, there haven't been any long-term, prospective studies done. How can you convince anyone?

I tell my co-workers why my diet is a little different. They think I'm crazy. I'm OK with that. Everyone has to find this on his or her own I think.

Andrew Lallos 04-01-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Clark (Post 556570)
Good luck finding any scientific proof. Why is low fat mayo and whole grain bread not good for them? It's people's opinions that those foods are somehow bad. Different people thrive on different diets.

Well from what I've read and heard, grains are not the best things for the body. Most/Some people do decently eating them, but many do better without.

As far as mayo goes...whats the point of low-fat mayo. To me, mayo is just a fat (tasty one at that) that you add to meals. If its low-fat, then what the hell else is it-- hopes dreams and pixie dust? if the point is to keep calories at a certain level, then from someone who's lost quite a bit of weight in the past (almost 60lbs), you're usually better off limiting amounts rather than modifying types --in this particular case, a little less full fat mayo, as opposed to normal or more low-fat mayo.

Thats just my opinion, your mileage may vary, results not typical, have it your way, you got the right one baby...end catch phrases.

Andrew Lallos 04-01-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Stetson (Post 556576)
Andrew --

It's a tough sell because it really hasn't been proven. It's more of a hypothesis based on population studies and a limited understanding of human physiology.

I for one buy into it. But at the same time, there haven't been any long-term, prospective studies done. How can you convince anyone?

I tell my co-workers why my diet is a little different. They think I'm crazy. I'm OK with that. Everyone has to find this on his or her own I think.

I see...I guess my response to them will have to be "must be the grains..." when they are wondering why I just stomped them at the company sporting events.

Robert Callahan 04-01-2009 03:09 PM

http://www.staffanlindeberg.com/TheKitavaStudy.html (WFS)

also just google "Kitava Study"

The full study is very thorough and well documented. Clearly demonstrates how a more "paleo" diet and prevents western diseases.

Scott Allen Hanson 04-01-2009 03:20 PM

Here's an article by Loren Cordain (The Paleo Diet) on cereal grains and the illnesses that may be associated with them (WFS):

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles...%20article.pdf

Scott Allen Hanson 04-01-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Stetson (Post 556576)
Andrew --

Good point Jack. I can't imagine that there ever will be a long-term dietary intervention trial where the intervention group doesn't eat grains. Even if there were, it wouldn't be a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. It's easy to make a placebo pill for a drug study, not so easy to make a placebo sandwich or pizza. And the supposed deleterious effects of grains may not be measurable without a very long trial.

Scott Clark 04-01-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Lallos (Post 556580)
Well from what I've read and heard, grains are not the best things for the body. Most/Some people do decently eating them, but many do better without.

Many people experience exceptional health on a high grain diet. Many people experience exceptional health on a grain free diet. As I said earlier, people are different.

Quote:

As far as mayo goes...whats the point of low-fat mayo. To me, mayo is just a fat (tasty one at that) that you add to meals. If its low-fat, then what the hell else is it-- hopes dreams and pixie dust? if the point is to keep calories at a certain level, then from someone who's lost quite a bit of weight in the past (almost 60lbs), you're usually better off limiting amounts rather than modifying types --in this particular case, a little less full fat mayo, as opposed to normal or more low-fat mayo.

Thats just my opinion, your mileage may vary, results not typical, have it your way, you got the right one baby...end catch phrases.
Like you said, it's your opinion. That's all well and good, but it means nothing as far as low fat mayo and whole wheat breads being bad foods.

Scott Clark 04-01-2009 03:32 PM

double tap