CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39289)

Bill Houghton 05-06-2010 06:52 PM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

[QUOTE=John Jaeckel;780403]Dude, what's an Overhead Air Squat?

Overhead Squat w/ PVC?

Either way, 500 of anything is severe. Hit the fish oil and the foam roller, my friend.[/QUOTE]

John, I will take your advice. Severe is how my quads feel. We have been working on "squat therapy" either over a bar or up against a wall with the arms up high overhead and shoulders active. No PVC (this time).

Stephen R. Lampl 05-06-2010 11:46 PM

[quote=Jeff Kilinski;780278]Bill, I think you left your SANITY at the door. HS![/quote]
:yeahthat:

Now I think I've seen just about everything......and I thought getting through a hundred squats was an accomplishment!

Bill Houghton 05-07-2010 04:51 AM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;780515]:yeahthat:

Now I think I've seen just about everything......and I thought getting through a hundred squats was an accomplishment![/QUOTE]

Hahahahaha, Stephen, we are going to have a squat challenge. 10 squats on the first day of the challenge, adding 10 per day and then do a 300 Squat WOD at the end.

John Jaeckel 05-07-2010 11:01 AM

[QUOTE=Bill Houghton;780414]John, I will take your advice. Severe is how my quads feel. We have been working on "squat therapy" either over a bar or up against a wall with the arms up high overhead and shoulders active. No PVC (this time).[/QUOTE]

I would take 10 grams minimum/day. Use the roller and some stretching, too. Lots of sleep. And eat well.

Bill, listen, I'm sure your trainer(s) know more than i do. But I am curious, what are they trying to achieve by having you do that training? Flexibility/increased ROM? MetCon? Both?

Bill Houghton 05-07-2010 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=John Jaeckel;780731]I would take 10 grams minimum/day. Use the roller and some stretching, too. Lots of sleep. And eat well.

Bill, listen, I'm sure your trainer(s) know more than i do. But I am curious, what are they trying to achieve by having you do that training? Flexibility/increased ROM? MetCon? Both?[/QUOTE]

John, thanks for asking. I hadn't worked out for 4 days so I wanted to do something demanding. My squat was non-existant when I started CF in 2008 so I spend a lot of time working on it. I have a goofy right leg that is muscularly/functionally imbalanced. I am thrilled with the progress I have made on my squat even though it is still ugly, crooked, etc.... Would I make the decision to do 500 again? Yep, and I will again soon. Do you think its counter productive?

John Jaeckel 05-07-2010 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=Bill Houghton;780776]John, thanks for asking. I hadn't worked out for 4 days so I wanted to do something demanding. My squat was non-existant when I started CF in 2008 so I spend a lot of time working on it. I have a goofy right leg that is muscularly/functionally imbalanced. I am thrilled with the progress I have made on my squat even though it is still ugly, crooked, etc.... Would I make the decision to do 500 again? Yep, and I will again soon. Do you think its counter productive?[/QUOTE]

Another P.O.V./approach:

My rear squat and DL have gone up marginally since I started CF (in August). About 10-15% a piece.

My front squat and OHS have gone up a lot. I basically could not do OHS, even with PVC, back then. Not flexible enough, just couldn't get the move.

I watched some videos, figured out I needed to grip the bar much wider, get my shoulders back a bit, etc., started at about 65-75 for one rep in, like, September. Now I'm up to 125.

What I did is really focused on stretching everything from my waist down prior to lifting. Hips, thighs, hamstrings (I have a funky left hip). And then worked on form, slow and controlled, as deep as I could go, gradually increasing weight, but always with weight.

Anyway, that's worked for me, especially with FS (gone from like 155-210) and OHS. BS and DL are another story because of a recurring lower back issue.

Just one way to do it. Seems like the best way to become able to lift heavy is lift heavy. But maybe that's just me.

John Scott Rezendes 05-07-2010 05:50 PM

5-7-10
[B]Go get'em, Terry.[/B] Represent.
[B]JJ[/B], Have you read Steven Low's article at Eat, Move, Improve re: muscle strains and rehab options? There's an embedded link to a recommended methodology for rehab by Bill Starr as presented by Coach Rip. (wfs) [url]http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/01/on-muscle-strains/[/url]
I ganked my back, bilaterally, a couple of weeks ago and have been following the rehab program which suggests continued exercise. It appears to be working pretty well and I haven't slowed down much except for some heavy lifts, which I'll be back at next week or so.
As to fish oil: 10 grams a day gets mighty expensive. Terry and I had this discussion over a year ago after his Nutrition Cert. I would love to take 10 grams a day, but at $55 a bottle (Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega, 180 gel tabs) it get's pricey. Unless I'm missing something...?

WU: BW squats/45-65-85 BP/1 arm press/45-55-65 Good Mornings/20xlunges

Day 7 Starr Back Rehab
HPC/PJ
25x60#
25x65#
25x70#

WOD 10 RFT
10x BW squats
10x Pushups
10x Back Extension
12:37

Bill Hoogsteden 05-07-2010 06:58 PM

[B]REST DAY:[/B]

Hooverball! (3 person teams)

I took me awhile to get the hang of it & we didn't do well, but we made 'em work for their points.

Did more Burpees (Yay! Burpees!) and ate more sand than I wanted to. But it was fun!

Pat Quigley 05-07-2010 08:55 PM

after rest yesterday, I did the work out that was posted for Thursday.

Thursday 100506
Complete as many rounds in seven minutes as you can of:
95 pound Squat clean, 10 reps
20 Sit-ups

The standard for the sit-up is feet anchored, back of the hands touch the ground above your head on the bottom, and hands touch the anchor at the top. No Abmat.

Jason Khalipa 7 rounds. Post rounds and fractions of rounds completed to comments.

Lowered the wt to 65# and used a 2' box as target for squat cleans. Completed 3 rounds + 8 cleans. This work out did not seem like much until I was working thru the situps on the first round. Found my anaerobic-aerobic threshold in a hurry.:)

Stephen R. Lampl 05-07-2010 09:34 PM

[quote=William Hoogsteden;780962][B]REST DAY:[/B]

Hooverball! (3 person teams)

I took me awhile to get the hang of it & we didn't do well, but we made 'em work for their points.

Did more Burpees (Yay! Burpees!) and ate more sand than I wanted to. But it was fun![/quote]

Hooverball is a BLAST! We did it at our box on a Saturday morning a couple of weeks back with two teams. It was more like Jungle Ball with a "kick."

Burpees in the sand? Okay Bill, I won't ask......