CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Charles Bennington 11-14-2008 04:37 AM

Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

[QUOTE=Richard Macaulay;446374]All awesome work....apart from BB curls, what are they, are they CF approved lol.

Ricky[/QUOTE]

I did some curls the other day for the first time in about 2 years, got 135 x 5. Figure it's pretty good for not getting any work, I'll try again in another 2 years.

Possibly consider replacing them with Hang Power Cleans?

Stephen R. Lampl 11-14-2008 04:13 PM

[quote=Richard Macaulay;446374]All awesome work....apart from BB curls, what are they, are they CF approved lol.

Ricky[/quote]

Thanks, Ricky! But of Course!! (on the curls.....). Isn't everything on the list? :D Invention is the mother of necessity............or is it the other way around?

[quote=Charles Bennington;446397]I did some curls the other day for the first time in about 2 years, got 135 x 5. Figure it's pretty good for not getting any work, I'll try again in another 2 years.

Possibly consider replacing them with Hang Power Cleans?[/quote]

Had to see what, if any, strength remained in the old arms of mine. Actually. my bis have been getting all the work they need with the pull-ups, seated rows, Versa Climber work, and others. Can't visualize right now how HPCs work them, but I'd imagine any strength of heavy metcon stuff I can do will eventually work the biceps. 135 X 5 is awesome. I remember doing sets with 115, but I think that was my max too. 85 just sucks!

Stephen R. Lampl 11-14-2008 04:36 PM

[U][B]Friday, 11/14/08[/B][/U][B]:

[I]Hamstring Rehab Day #5. [/I][/B][I]Also, an absolutely gorgeous fall day in the Motherlode and Central Sierras of CA!!

[B]Warm up: Stationary Cycling.
[/B]20:00 / L3 (4 min) / L5 (16 min) / 5.7 miles / 100 RPM / HR max 117
[B]Stretching - especially targeting the hamstrings. [/B]Approx. 15 min.
[B]Jump Rope:
Singles:[/B] 2:00. Tripped a few times, but getting much more fluid.
[B]Double-under practice: [/B]1:00. Each attempt stopped the rope. Oh well.....
[B]"Strength jumping?" - 25 X 8 [/B](2 pound rope). 30 sec rests between sets.

[B]WOD: "Fran"
21-15-9 Reps for Time
95# Thrusters
Pull-ups

Scaled to "Fran Lite"
21-15-9 Reps for Time
45# Thrusters
Jumping Pull-ups
Time = 5:01
[/B]This is my first time doing Fran. Figured, if I could try a BW version of it, I could attempt the real thing, although scaled. I should probably have used 65# instead of 45#. The suck factor was definitely there (hard work!), but my form was better than I expected. I think I could have pushed a bit harder and handled the additional weight.

[B]Med Ball Cleans:
20# X 10 X 3[/B] Great for form. I was hitting about 33%.........YUK.

[B]Pull-ups: 3 + 2 (uh) + 1
Weighted Chins: 15# 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 (all uh grip).
Un-weighted: 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 (all uh grip).
Total: 19.

Hamstring Rehab:
PVC Good Mornings: 25 X 3. [/B]Last rep of third set, felt something pull in R/hamstring (one I suffered L2 tear with in 2000). Felt a bit different than L/leg - - possibly an old adhesion which broke loose. Rehabbing both hams now......:yikes:
[/I]

Patrick Haskell 11-15-2008 05:35 AM

Careful with those hamstrings, Steve. Keep the rehab movements slow and controlled.

Nice Fran. That looks like perfect scaling. Five minutes is pretty much the standard time for Fran. Now that you've hit it, you can raise the weight next time and perhaps go to assisted pullups. Work your way back down to 5:00 and increase loads again.

Charles Bennington 11-15-2008 09:08 AM

In a month or so you've gone from doing battle with the single DHPU to doing 15lbs Weighted Chins AFTER 45 Jumping Pull-Ups...Simply awesome.:notworth:

Stephen R. Lampl 11-15-2008 04:26 PM

[quote=Patrick Haskell;447141]Careful with those hamstrings, Steve. Keep the rehab movements slow and controlled.

Nice Fran. That looks like perfect scaling. Five minutes is pretty much the standard time for Fran. Now that you've hit it, you can raise the weight next time and perhaps go to assisted pullups. Work your way back down to 5:00 and increase loads again.[/quote]

Thank you, Patrick. What awesome feedback! I didn't know where I really stood and was happy just to complete a Fran before 6 months was up. Should I shoot for 65# next time, or take it more slowly, say 55? I'm not in a hurry - - just want to maintain form.

Also - - I hear you on the hammies. I think the one yesterday was just a fluke - - I worked really hard on maintaining my lower back curve (lordosis?), and went slowly, but perhaps not slowly enough. Don't know there.

Thanks again.

Stephen R. Lampl 11-15-2008 04:28 PM

[quote=Charles Bennington;447240]In a month or so you've gone from doing battle with the single DHPU to doing 15lbs Weighted Chins AFTER 45 Jumping Pull-Ups...Simply awesome.:notworth:[/quote]

Thank you, Chuck. The encouragement and guidance you guys (Patrick, etc.) are giving me is just outta this world! Can't fail with all that going for me!

Devon Thompson 11-15-2008 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=Patrick Haskell;447141]Careful with those hamstrings, Steve. Keep the rehab movements slow and controlled.

[/QUOTE]

I second the hamstring advice, I've had hamstring tightness since I was 13 and they rear their ugly head whenever they see fit. Grats on the Fran.

Stephen R. Lampl 11-15-2008 04:47 PM

[quote=Devon Thompson;447449]I second the hamstring advice, I've had hamstring tightness since I was 13 and they rear their ugly head whenever they see fit. Grats on the Fran.[/quote]

Thank you, Devon! I kinda don't understand why I'm having problems all of a sudden........My hammies shouldn't be tight from all the stretching and flexibility stuff I've been doing. Oh well!

Are there affiliates near Fayetteville? I see you're also an "Atlantan." My brother and his wife and family live there, so it would be cool to have a WO place when I go out to visit......

Stephen R. Lampl 11-15-2008 05:18 PM

[U][B]Saturday, 11/15/08[/B][/U][B]:

[I]HAMSTRING REHAB DAY # 6.

Warm-up:
Stationary Cycling.[/I][/B][I] 10:00 / L3 /100 RPM / 2.6 mi / HR = 100.

[B]Note: [/B]Got my second half flu shot yesterday. Feeling it today - - definitely a bit off and outta energy. Took it easy today.

[B]Rowing Rudiments/Training.
[/B]Approx. 15 min. Worked on stroke form and power; maximizing output and number of strokes per min. Tried different damper settings at different stroke rates. Adjusted my positioning and travel along the rail - - was allowing seat to hit my heels on each return.
[B]
WOD: Row 5K at Mod/Hard intensity. Damper @ 7.5.
Time = 22:21. [/B]Average times per 500m, 2:10 to 2:15 (was 2:25 - 2:30 before stroke adjustments). Tried sprinting last 500m at less than 2:00 per 500 rate. Could only get 250m, but held rate of 1:56 - 1:58!

[B]GTG Pull-ups (Both grips)
2 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 2 (side grip) + 2 + 1 + 2 = 13. [/B]Really tired today!

[B]Hamstring Rehab (per Coach Rip's Program)
BS 45# X 25 X 3.

Lat Press Downs [/B](Straight arms, start at shoulder height, press down to legs without bending arms).
[B]WU 35# X 15
50# X 5
57.5 X 5
65 X 5
72.5 X 2 (F3)

[/B][/I]