CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Gordon Cooke 08-02-2009 10:33 AM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

Hi Steve. I took a look at all 3 of the kip videos again and a lot of it is making sense now. I didn't have the proper bar for kipping before, so I couldn't really practice these moves. I think I will work these into my skill work and see how it goes. It would be great to bring up my pullup numbers and it looks like kipping will do it. I have been doing GTG on the regular pullups and that alone has helped a lot. Thanks again.

Carter Jee 08-02-2009 06:22 PM

[QUOTE=Gordon Cooke;636256]Hi Steve. I took a look at all 3 of the kip videos again and a lot of it is making sense now. I didn't have the proper bar for kipping before, so I couldn't really practice these moves. I think I will work these into my skill work and see how it goes. It would be great to bring up my pullup numbers and it looks like kipping will do it. I have been doing GTG on the regular pullups and that alone has helped a lot. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

hey gordon..

powerbands/iron woody bands are your friend!!!

and make sure your shoulder girdle is strong enough to handle the dynamic load from the kipping motion.... ironically, you ensure this by building up deadhang pullups.

check out the videos by jeff tucker on these

stephen...

congrats on your PR... remember to listen to your body and recover well.....

carter

Gordon Cooke 08-02-2009 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=Carter Jee;636414]hey gordon..

and make sure your shoulder girdle is strong enough to handle the dynamic load from the kipping motion.... ironically, you ensure this by building up deadhang pullups.

stephen...

carter[/QUOTE]

Thanks Carter. I have heard a lot about the powerbands but have not tried them out yet. I think you're right though that the best way to build up the strength for these is by doing more of the deadhangs, which I have been. The callouses on my hands are testament to that:)

Samantha Aurelio 08-03-2009 03:15 AM

Hope you're taking good care of yourself!

Stephen R. Lampl 08-03-2009 11:50 AM

[quote=Gordon Cooke;636256]Hi Steve. I took a look at all 3 of the kip videos again and a lot of it is making sense now. I didn't have the proper bar for kipping before, so I couldn't really practice these moves. I think I will work these into my skill work and see how it goes. It would be great to bring up my pullup numbers and it looks like kipping will do it. I have been doing GTG on the regular pullups and that alone has helped a lot. Thanks again.[/quote]

Gordon,

You are so welcome! GtG'ing is one of the best ways you can develop that pull-up strength. Another way, though be careful you don't overdo it, is to occasionally throw in some jumping pull-ups and use the "trip back down" to full extension to do negatives - - lower yourself slowly. You'll be a beast just like Carter before you know it! :D

[quote=Carter Jee;636414]hey gordon..

stephen...

carter[/quote]

Carter,

Thanks for providing that additional information. Tucker always has great info.......I'd love to hear him speak some more - - on any subject. He just has a way with explaining stuff.

Thanks also on my PR - - I feel so much better now. That two+ weeks away from my normal workout schedule really trashed me. I think you are right on with the rest also. I'm going to have to look a bit at my programming - - maybe scale it back just a little and/or throw in some more CFE-related work.

[quote=Samantha Aurelio;636510]Hope you're taking good care of yourself![/quote]

Thank you, Sam! Fingers crossed, but I find out today if I have a job - - that will take a lot of stress off me. Legs seem to be healing up well, but I think there is something wrong with my jump and jump stance on power cleans and power snatches - - Rt knee hurts just a bit after I get done.

BTW, I got asked to put together a choir at our church for occasional special music. I am so stoked, because I haven't had a chance to direct a choir for perhaps 20 years.....we mostly do contemporary Christian, which is fine with me - - gonna start playing bass and singing again too, so that's even better!

Take care!

Stephen R. Lampl 08-03-2009 11:52 AM

[I][B]090801 SATURDAY
090802 SUNDAY

REST DAYS. [/B]Probably a good move for me after 4 days of increasing workouts in a day.

[/I]

Dave Coughlin 08-03-2009 04:01 PM

Steve, PM me your email address. I have something for you that I wasn't able to attach to a PM. It's a programming thing, and I'd rather not put it up here for potential criticism.

Stephen R. Lampl 08-03-2009 08:04 PM

[quote=Dave Coughlin;636915]Steve, PM me your email address. I have something for you that I wasn't able to attach to a PM. It's a programming thing, and I'd rather not put it up here for potential criticism.[/quote]

Pm coming to you....

Stephen R. Lampl 08-03-2009 08:31 PM

[I][B]090803 MONDAY

Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Versa Climber: [/B]10:00 / 80 SPM / Full ROM on steps (10 -12").
[B]CFWU - [/B]Modified.

[I][B]August Tabata Challenge:
[/B][/I][B]Tabata Push-ups:
[/B]20 / 17 / 11 / 6 / 7 / 6 / 6 / 5 = 78 Total

[I][B]WOD: From CrossFit East Decatur (090801)
[/B][/I][B]For time: 30 - 20 - 10 of:
Goblet Squats 55# / [COLOR=Blue]35#[/COLOR]
Db Swings 55# /[COLOR=Blue] 35#[/COLOR]
[U]DUs_> [COLOR=Blue](Singles X 2)_[/COLOR]___[/U]
TIME = [COLOR=Blue]6:38[/COLOR]
[/B][I]Warmed up with up to 55# (Men's weight) Db swings - felt some minor pulling in my left hamstring, so scaled to 35#.[/I]

[I][B]Double-Under Practice -[/B] [/I]About 10:00 - - [I]tried a different rope. Chained 3 DUs in a row three separate times for a PR....chained two together 5 Xs. They are coming........[B]Y[/B][B]ES![/B] [/I]

[I][B]Pull-ups[/B][/I] - Kipped: 11 / 10 / 10. [I]Tried using a hook grip (thumbs locking the middle finger) to see what this did for my grip. [/I]

[I][B]Then:[/B][/I] Assisted with training class at globo for an hour. Helped to instruct with shoulder presses and dumbbell swings. Great class and a ton of fun....

Marianne Urbanski 08-04-2009 10:06 AM

[quote=Stephen R. Lampl;637072][I][B]090803 MONDAY

Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Versa Climber: [/B]10:00 / 80 SPM / Full ROM on steps (10 -12").
[B]CFWU - [/B]Modified.

[I][B]August Tabata Challenge:
[/B][/I][B]Tabata Push-ups:
[/B]20 / 17 / 11 / 6 / 7 / 6 / 6 / 5 = 78 Total

[I][B]WOD: From CrossFit East Decatur (090801)
[/B][/I][B]For time: 30 - 20 - 10 of:
Goblet Squats 55# / [COLOR=Blue]35#[/COLOR]
Db Swings 55# /[COLOR=Blue] 35#[/COLOR]
[U]DUs_> [COLOR=Blue](Singles X 2)_[/COLOR]___[/U]
TIME = [COLOR=Blue]6:38[/COLOR]
[/B][I]Warmed up with up to 55# (Men's weight) Db swings - felt some minor pulling in my left hamstring, so scaled to 35#.[/I]

[I][B]Double-Under Practice -[/B] [/I]About 10:00 - - [I]tried a different rope. Chained 3 DUs in a row three separate times for a PR....chained two together 5 Xs. They are coming........[B]Y[/B][B]ES![/B] [/I]

[I][B]Pull-ups[/B][/I] - Kipped: 11 / 10 / 10. [I]Tried using a hook grip (thumbs locking the middle finger) to see what this did for my grip. [/I]

[I][B]Then:[/B][/I] Assisted with training class at globo for an hour. Helped to instruct with shoulder presses and dumbbell swings. Great class and a ton of fun....[/quote]

steve:
great job on the Double unders.. I am going to work at them while I am on my vacation. I brought a different rope with me here ,though and I keep getting whipped by it when I miss them!! that will teach me to miss them! today I didn't get one!! :ranting2:
I like your workout today.. I think I will try that since I brought my KB with me!! (can you explain a goblet squat to me?!! )
Excellent work on the kipping pullups!!
HOpe you get that job you were looking for... let us know as we are all routing for you! :highfive: