CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   High fat diet? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=85534)

Marcus Diaz 12-25-2013 02:19 PM

High fat diet?

I know this topic has been done to death, but what are the pros and cons of a high fat diet?

I wouldn't mind losing some fat while maintaining my performance. I calculated my TDEE at 2700cal (5'5, 170lbs, around 12% bodyfat and very active) so I plan on consuming 2300 daily. I was considering a higher fat/lower carb diet that would leave me with, at the very least, 100+ grams of fat a day. Protein I will keep at 1 per lb of bodyweight and carbs will also probably be about the same.

Basically, I just want to know the health benefits of a higher fat/lower carb diet and if it is effective at all.

Cam Peavy 12-25-2013 05:27 PM

Re: High fat diet?

There's 500 threads on this forum alone involving "high fat", mostly all related to diets. There's also countless resources available elsewhere. They came out with a site called "Google" a couple years ago that seems to aid a lot of people. Try that. Let's keep the spoon-feeding to a minimum here.

Marcus Diaz 12-25-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam Peavy (Post 1211941)
There's 500 threads on this forum alone involving "high fat", mostly all related to diets. There's also countless resources available elsewhere. They came out with a site called "Google" a couple years ago that seems to aid a lot of people. Try that. Let's keep the spoon-feeding to a minimum here.

Loving the sarcasm. I'll be sure to never ever ask a question about anything again. Please forgive me for not knowing what "Google" is, I am but a simple man. I know you're much smarter than I will ever be so I would absolutely LOVE to be spoon-fed some of your wisdom.

Daniel Alderete 12-25-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam Peavy (Post 1211941)

Lol, what a dick. Merry Christmas to you too.

These boards would not exist if people don't ask questions...even if it's a question that's been asked before.

Cam Peavy 12-26-2013 06:09 AM

Too dickish, my bad..

There's a couple very solid sites that go in depth on this stuff, A LOT better than someone on here could explain in a post. Check out Loren Cordain or Mark Sisson, each have their own websites, and have done extensive research on the subject. There's a start, but in reality, it does involve some research.

Darryl Shaw 12-28-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Diaz (Post 1211938)
I just want to know the health benefits of a higher fat/lower carb diet and if it is effective at all.

It depends what you mean by high-fat/low-carb diet.

Are you talking about the near vegetarian Mediterranean diet (wfs) of post war Crete, which has been studied extensively and has many well established health benefits. Or are you talking about some kind of low-carb Paleo/Atkins fad diet nonsense?

Marcus Diaz 12-28-2013 04:50 PM

Currently at 144carb, 102fat, 201protein. I was consuming well over 200+ prior to the change, and around 60-80fat.

Andrew N. Casey 12-28-2013 06:21 PM

i will only say that based on your stats you need more than 2300 calories a day.