CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Stuff and Nonsense (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Grip Straps (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68119)

Andrew Roden 06-21-2011 10:04 AM

Grip Straps

What is up with the grip straps on all the mainsite photos lately? Did I miss the memo? Is grip strength not important any more?:rofl:

Struan Potter 06-21-2011 10:29 AM

Re: Grip Straps

I think its more to protect their hands from tearing than for grip.

Erin Hightower 06-21-2011 10:43 AM

I agree. most of what I've heard people use them more for hand maint. than for grip. Furthermore of late most of the pics are from regionals where they are doing things that are above and beyond most crossfit training and wods.... Even the pros have a limit before their grip starts failing

Rebecca Roth 06-21-2011 11:06 AM

At least today's shot is of a girl wearing gymnastic grips, which are totally different from straps. They obviously provide appropriate assitance in the case of the WOD she is doing because they require less frequent chalking of hands, and with 100 Pullups/KBS they will prevent tearing. If you aren't using gymnastic grips for high rep gymnastic bar/ring work its pretty much just stupid.
Other than that I've seen wrist wraps and gloves, but have yet to see any photos including weightlifting straps and I would be sort of surprised if they were even permitted in competition.

Chris Westfield 06-21-2011 02:24 PM

18 years of pole vaulting then 4 years of CrossFit. Not one blister on my hand from CrossFit. I worked hard for my calluses. Plus my palms don't sweat so no need for chalk. I know I'm a genetic freak and that's my only super power.

Andrew Bell 06-21-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Westfield (Post 951331)
18 years of pole vaulting then 4 years of CrossFit. Not one blister on my hand from CrossFit. I worked hard for my calluses. Plus my palms don't sweat so no need for chalk. I know I'm a genetic freak and that's my only super power.

I'm the same way. Don't know how my hands got so tough but people talk about pulling blisters, or filing them down, and about that stuff and I just shrug and don't get it. I also don't ever need chalk, ever. I have been straight Olympic lifting for a year now and have only used it a handful of times.

Steven Ngo 06-21-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Bell (Post 951336)
I'm the same way. Don't know how my hands got so tough but people talk about pulling blisters, or filing them down, and about that stuff and I just shrug and don't get it. I also don't ever need chalk, ever. I have been straight Olympic lifting for a year now and have only used it a handful of times.

how long have you been sledgehammering?

Tamara Cohen 06-21-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Westfield (Post 951331)

Props.

I just did the U.S. Track and Field Level 1 coaching course this weekend. I'm convinced that pole vaulters and hammer throwers are complety insane and possibly superheroes.

Andrew Roden 06-21-2011 06:55 PM

Yeah I guess I was talking about the gymnastic grips. Thought I saw them in 2 different mainsite photos this week. I mean lifting straps have their place but I wouldn't think of anything but tape for a wod.

Blair Robert Lowe 06-22-2011 10:19 AM

Tam, my old polevault coach led us to believe that we did the most awesome event and were very much all-around athletes.

He used to say we had to have the awareness and abilities of a gymnast, had the most technical T&F event, etc

You should really try polevaulting (not poledancing, but I'm ok with that too).

One of the most impressionable quotes he ever told us was " the first time you bend the pole will be right up their with the first time you get laid ". Truth.