CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sweet Potatoes (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=56837)

Mitch Jensen 03-30-2010 11:05 AM

Sweet Potatoes

Last night I made my first sweet potato in the oven and dang......have I been missin out! Those things are awesome! I have had them before at Thanksgiving but that's after the butter and brown sugar have been added. Last night I just baked it and ate it.....so good!

What are the nutritional benefits of those things....I've heard they are nutritionally very good for you....just wanted to know what yalls thoughts are.

Walker Fenz 03-30-2010 11:21 AM

Re: Sweet Potatoes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch Jensen (Post 761083)
Last night I just baked it and ate it.....so good!

Per Wikipedia, "sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta carotene (a vitamin A equivalent nutrient), vitamin C, and vitamin B6. Pink and yellow varieties are high in carotene, the precursor of vitamin A."

My understanding on the Paleo front however, is that these babies have a high glycemic index (basically pure sugar/carb) and their effect on insulin levels should be considered... it's recommended they only be consumed when this effect is desired, like post-workout.

On that note, baked sweet potato + protein powder + cinnamon is my favorite post workout food!

Mitch Jensen 03-30-2010 01:04 PM

So they are only a good idea to eat post-workout?

Mike Ridgley 03-30-2010 01:20 PM

I would say they are good to eat anytime - I have a few each week I just split two whole potatoes between three meals to stay within my block prescription.

Andre Urquiza 03-30-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walker Fenz (Post 761090)
On that note, baked sweet potato + protein powder + cinnamon is my favorite post workout food!

I haven't eaten them in a while but always added some cinnamon to them, yum!
Gonna have to try adding the protein powder next but I'm still trying to lean out a bit - strict paleo and keeping carb intake rather low.

Walker Fenz 03-31-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch Jensen (Post 761189)

Depends on your goals. I aim for fairly low carb and they pack a punch (about 40g - which is almost half of my ideal intake for the day). So for me, I would typically only eat them post workout.

Albert Chang 03-31-2010 09:32 AM

I only eat them post workout. I'm not sure how long it takes to bake, but since I want my PWO meal to be fairly soon after the WOD I usually nuke them in the microwave with water. Wondering how that affects the taste. My guess would be it tastes better in the oven. How long does it take to bake at what temperature?

Wayne Riddle 03-31-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch Jensen (Post 761189)

If they don't bother you, yes.

Thomas Bailly 03-31-2010 10:34 AM

one of my favorite foods, slice them thin, drop them on an olive oiled baking sheet, sprinkle rosemary, cayenne, whatever spice you like on top, bake at 350 F for 30 to 45 min depending on oven, slice thickness etc.
Enjoy.
Same methodology applies for many other veggies, brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, fennel, beets, turnips, etc.

Ian Nigh 03-31-2010 06:13 PM

The interesting thing about sweet potatoes is that although they do contain more carbs and in theory would spike blood sugar and insulin levels (they are considered a medium glyecmic load food), the fascinating thing about them is that they actually seem to regulate blood sugar and insulin production by acting directly on the pancreas somehow, which is why they a recommended food for diabetics.