CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best SS + CF hybrid? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26683)

Tim Donahey 01-26-2008 11:38 AM

Re: Best SS + CF hybrid?

[QUOTE=Erik Eliassen;247934]You might be right about that Tim. Dropping boxing is not an option I'm afraid :( In the setup I put up there there are only two boxing trainings though. The KM classes can be demanding, but it hasnt been a problem going to them on CF rest days for the past two months. I only had a full rest day when the CF rest days fell on a friday, saturday or sunday. Did you guys find your energy levels really different while on SS compared to CF?

How would doing SS and a MetCon on the same day (in order to get a full rest day the day after) work out? SS AM, MetCon PM.[/QUOTE]

I would follow Coach Rippetoe's advice exactly as described in David's post above.

[QUOTE]I guess we could say my number one goal at the time is to gain mass and strength.[/QUOTE]

then make that your priority!

David Stout 01-26-2008 12:07 PM

Erik,

Do you have any classes (Boxing, KM, MMA) available on Saturday or Sunday.

I'm taking a look at how you might chart it out.

David

Erik Eliassen 01-26-2008 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=Tim Donahey;247936]I would follow Coach Rippetoe's advice exactly as described in David's post above.

then make that your priority![/QUOTE]

Righto. Then MetCons are out! I'm sorry I'm a bit stubborn on not cutting down on the martial arts :rofl: I understand that that is probably the biggest problem here. I'll skip a class whenever I feel that I need it to recover.

An option then might be

Monday:
Boxing + Krav Maga
Tuesday:
SS + Boxing + MMA
Wednesday:
Krav Maga
Thursday:
SS
Friday:
[B]Rest[/B]
Saturday:
SS
Sunday:
[B]Rest[/B]

With the option to skip a class. It already seems like so little though!
Closing in on sanity? :)

David: No I'm afraid not, thats a bit of the problem here :(
Boxing: Mon, Tue, Thu
MMA: Tue (Thats the only one, so I dont want to miss it)
Krav Maga: Mon, Wed

Tim Donahey 01-26-2008 12:20 PM

That looks more reasonable. And I think fight classes in lieu of CF is a good move. If there's any way to redistribute the rest days into a 3on-1off-2on-1off protocol, I think you will thank yourself on Thursday.

David Stout 01-26-2008 12:23 PM

Yeah, but that Tuesday is gonna freaking kill you man.

[QUOTE]Tuesday:
SS + Boxing + MMA[/QUOTE]

David Stout 01-26-2008 12:32 PM

OK. You’ve put yourself in a firm spot to start from with this:

[QUOTE]I guess we could say my number one goal at the time is to gain mass and strength.[/QUOTE]

Ok. So just for six weeks, give yourself the time to focus on your number one goal. Six weeks is a drop in the bucket compared to the return on investment you could have with focusing on Starting Strength. With 18-19 rounds of Cindy and a 500 CrossFit Total you’ve got a bit (a BIG issue from my perspective as a coach) of a balance issue that would warrant your above priority and taking some time to step away and specialize to be better at not specializing when you get back.

I would give this a try, following the Novice programming recommendations from Starting Strength, which is obviously in the book you’ve ordered but is also clearly outlined by Tim in his posts. This doesn’t look like as much, but it’s fairly balanced out through the whole week and should be pretty tough enough. Eat a freaking ton, drink your milk, and you’ll see some success I think.

Monday
Rest

Tuesday
Boxing & MMA

Wednesday
Starting Strength

Thursday
Boxing

Friday
Starting Strength

Saturday
Rest

Sunday
Starting Strength

Yes you are taking a break in your training (the Krav). If you’re not fighting professionally right now, six weeks isn’t going to kill your conditioning. It’ll be worth it when you come back. You may see such good progress, you may want to give it more like 6-9 weeks.

Just my .02 bro.

Best of luck,

David
CF Chattanooga

Erik Eliassen 01-26-2008 12:34 PM

Well there is always this option:

Monday:
SS + Boxing + Krav Maga
Tuesday:
Boxing + MMA
Wednesday:
SS + Krav Maga
Thursday:
Rest
Friday:
SS
Saturday:
Rest
Sunday:
Rest

I think that the recovery from SS on monday to SS on wednesday will not be as good like that though.
The tuesday has been pretty deadly for the past two months, so I fully agree with you on that. I'm lucky enough to have a job that let me do SS during the day, if its on the weekdays, so it'll be better than when I used to do Boxing, then MMA, then CF. So not sure about how to distribute the training during that first part of the week..

Erik Eliassen 01-26-2008 12:47 PM

Thanks David! I dont think I would be able to entirely stay away from Krav for 6 weeks though. Would you on no occasion do SS and martial arts on the same day, even if they are many hours apart? I am able to do Starting Strength at midday, while the Krav classes are at like 9 pm. For example what you just set up for me there, plus Krav on wednesday? My Krav trainer is also my CF coach and its gonna be a bit weird if I wasnt there for 6 weeks. The fact that he is also my CF coach would let me be able to drill mostly on technique on the Krav trainings, and skip some of the purely physical stuff if I wanted to.

Again, thanks a lot for taking the time helping me out with this :)

Tim Donahey 01-26-2008 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=Erik Eliassen;247969]Well there is always this option:

Monday:
SS + Boxing + Krav Maga
Tuesday:
Boxing + MMA
Wednesday:
SS + Krav Maga
Thursday:
Rest
Friday:
SS
Saturday:
Rest
Sunday:
Rest

[/QUOTE]

Try it out.

Tim Donahey 01-26-2008 12:49 PM

I found SS in the AM and Krav in the PM works well.