CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bulking up (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=8848)

Departed 03-25-2006 07:25 AM

Yeah I'm 14 right now, and I am around 5"10, weighing in at about 155 pounds or so. I'm looking to gain about 10 pounds. Right now I am eating about 5 or 6 egg whites a day, a lot of beef and steak, and as much fruits and vegetables as I can get. Before I was gaining weight like crazy, but now I'm not gaining as much. I don't mean to sound childish, but any suggestions as to how to get the abs to become more prominate would also be appreciated.

Mark Gebhard 03-25-2006 07:30 AM

Focus on eating lots of fruits, vegetables, and good protein like you're doing and work the big compound lifts like squats, deads, cleans, etc. Doing the WOD should take care of the lifting part, since all the good lifts appear regularly. You're 14, you really don't have to worry about gaining weight, it will happen if you eat and lift.

Elliot Royce 03-25-2006 08:14 AM

I was just telling my 13 year old son not to worry too much about a bit of fat. He's very active and tall for his age. I'm not a doctor but I think that some kids naturally show abs and some don't. And for the latter, reducing calories to the point where they would show abs might hinder their growth.

I was pretty chubby at age 12 but grew to 6'3", 190lbs by age 15 and was pretty lean (still no sixpack, though).

I think you're better focusing on a good diet and the type of functional exercise Crossfit offers. Excessive weightlifting is also not good at your age -- your growth plates need to close and your body needs to develop further, otherwise you risk permanent damage.

Steve Liberati 03-25-2006 08:44 AM

As Elliot said some people are naturally lean (and skinny) and are lucky enough to have defined abs year round (sometimes regardless of what they eat).

Unless you are one of those guys, obtaining a six-pack and gaining weight naturally is a very very difficult thing to do. Instead, if I was you I would focus on one or the other. You can even do a "lean bulk" to gain weight and minimize fat gain by eating "clean" like you already are, just in excess of your daily maintance calories. Also, depending on how carb sensitive you are, you should also tinker with increasing your daily carb count. Do you have a high metabolism to begin with? You're on the right track Gunnar....my advice is pick one goal or the other and stick with it!

good luck

Jesse Woody 03-25-2006 10:00 AM

Yep, I'd say gain those 10 lbs or so, then cut back and lean out and see how much your lean body mass increased.

And give yourself a couple of years...being only 14, you're getting ready to hit the peak time to be gaining muscle. Don't rush it. A good program and a clean diet (like you have right now) will go a long way towards some awesome gains in the coming months and years.

Good luck!

Stanley Kunnathu 03-25-2006 10:14 AM

Try for better performance (WOD times, 1RM, etc.) not better looks.

You'll be surprised at how well you look when you have good performances.

Also, being 14, you've got or will be getting a huge testosterone surge. Do the WOD hard and all of that testosterone will go into building muscle.

I understand the teen obsession with appearance (adults aren't much different) but if you rock the WOD hard and eat (clean) like an animal you will see results immediately. You have a huge hormone advanatage too. By 18 you will be a monster and look like one too (in a good way).

Departed 03-25-2006 11:50 PM

Ok, thanks a bunch for the insight

Ross Hunt 03-26-2006 04:05 AM

Gunnar,

Keep one thing in mind: Abs at 10% body fat on a guy who weighs 155 actually don't show up as well as abs at 12% body fat on a guy who weighs 175. In other words, ab definition isn't all pure body fat level--just having big, strong abs goes a long ways towards ab definition.