CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fat Loss (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=82168)

Joseph Parker 05-22-2013 07:50 AM

Fat Loss

I know I'll get blasted for this, but some others may find this beneficial as well....

Anway - Fat loss. I eat clean, high protein, all that. I wouldn't say i follow a specific diet, but i do well. I read all these posts about diets and this stuff gets confusing.

I have made GREAT gains since i started back in August. went from 156 (skinny fat) to 178, but have noticed some fat building up in my stomach area. I am around 16% body fat.

What is a good way to get this down? IN SIMPLE TERMS??

Joey Shishineh 05-22-2013 07:52 AM

Re: Fat Loss

Most likely, increase quality of foods (less processed foods, no added sugar) and decrease quantity of foods. Post up a typical day of eating and a typical week of training.

Darryl Shaw 05-22-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Parker (Post 1166856)
I know I'll get blasted for this, but some others may find this beneficial as well....

Anway - Fat loss. I eat clean, high protein, all that. I wouldn't say i follow a specific diet, but i do well. I read all these posts about diets and this stuff gets confusing.

I have made GREAT gains since i started back in August. went from 156 (skinny fat) to 178, but have noticed some fat building up in my stomach area. I am around 16% body fat.

What is a good way to get this down? IN SIMPLE TERMS??

Eat less, exercise more.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet: Weight loss.

A Common Sense Approach To Sound Nutrition.

Maximizing Weight Loss: How To Fine Tune Calorie Density.

*All links wfs*

Chris Jones 05-23-2013 12:33 AM

Darry never disappoints...

Joseph Parker 05-23-2013 10:56 AM

Thanks Darryl, those links were a huge help. Very common sense - a lot of diet shiz is impossible to understand.

Barry Acreman 06-12-2013 09:24 AM

In the second article provided "A Common Sense Approach to Sound Nutrition" it doesn't mention meats anywhere. Is this a vegetarian approach to nutrition or is meat just fair game and eat what you want?

Jeff Enge 06-12-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Acreman (Post 1171336)
In the second article provided "A Common Sense Approach to Sound Nutrition" it doesn't mention meats anywhere. Is this a vegetarian approach to nutrition or is meat just fair game and eat what you want?

I believe Jeff Novick is a vegan nutritionist, so I would guess that's the reason for no mention of meat.

Phil Washlow 06-12-2013 10:01 AM

The easiest way that I have found to lose body fat is by adjusting my macronutrient composition. High fat (200g+ daily), moderate protein (120g), low carb (<50g). Low fat diets are not the best route.

Darryl Shaw 06-12-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Acreman (Post 1171336)

Jeff Novick recommends a plant based diet which, although not strictly speaking vegan, includes little if any animal based foods. His reasons are strictly health based and, to my knowledge, are not related to any concerns re. animal rights.

If you want to find the calorie density of meat or anything else not included in his calorie density scale you can look it up in the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference (wfs). To calculate calories per pound enter 4.54 in the box labelled value per 100g.

Darryl Shaw 06-12-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Washlow (Post 1171343)
The easiest way that I have found to lose body fat is by adjusting my macronutrient composition. High fat (200g+ daily), moderate protein (120g), low carb (<50g).

The macronutrient composition of a hypocaloric diet has no significant effect on the rate of fat loss.

Quote:

Low fat diets are not the best route.
The research findings of the National Weight Control Registry [1], along with a recent review published in the BMJ [2] suggest otherwise.

[1] Persons successful at long-term weight loss and maintenance continue to consume a low calorie, low fat diet.

[2] Effect of reducing total fat intake on body weight: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials and cohort studies.

*All links wfs*