CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   tough mudder beginner (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=72583)

Mike Karolewicz 01-09-2012 12:17 PM

tough mudder beginner

Hey guys trying out cf and was wondering if following the wod each day will prep me for my September meet of tough mudder. If not any recommendations will be accepted.

Also with just starting out my endurance for running isn't that high. Is it ok if I cut down the runs until I gain some lungs?

Blair Robert Lowe 01-09-2012 01:46 PM

Re: tough mudder beginner

From what I have read from other people who didn't do any what CF would consider long distance running and did TM, it should be encorporated somewhere so it isn't a suckfest running wise. These were people who were doing CF.

The TM also has a time limit (3 hours?)

You have 8 months to develop some ability to run and running is pretty recoverable unless you are pushing the distance or intensity.

Bob Cieszkowski 01-09-2012 02:35 PM

I completed TM TriState back in September. My training consisted of strength work 4 x wk, WODs 5 x wk and one long team training run (7mi) w/ aspects of the obstacles mixed in (these longer runs were only added 2 months out from the race date). The training was harder than the actual race.

Aside from the running 2 things to add to your training would be: crawls (bear, crab, alligator) and getting into some cold water on the runs. The water at TM is COLD and you'd be wise to mentally prepare yourself for what that feels like and running when wet.

I wish I had some advice for you for the Electroshock Therapy obstacle, but I don't. But know this--it sucks. Hard.

Blair Robert Lowe 01-09-2012 04:02 PM

Perhaps getting a taser for the electroshock obstacle or at least getting tasered on an occasion.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. I imagine it will suck and training it on a consistent basis is a bit odd and masochistic.

Collin Thompson 01-09-2012 05:06 PM

There's not a 3 hour time limit on the mudder. Train in the most uncomfortable conditions possible. For the next norcal tough mudder all I'm going to do training-wise will be some burpees and sprints after skinny dipping at night. Not kidding. Running the entire course is a huge feat - there are TONS of people who just walk it. Although this past norcal course was one of the longer and higher altitude courses so I'm not sure how other ones around the country are.

But basically get used to training when your freezing cold and wet. And with hurt feet. And this might be a risky idea but make sure you can somehow train when dehydrated/with cotton mouth. And train hill runs!! Fact: the more back squats you do, the easier the course will be on your legs.

Jason Mayhugh 01-09-2012 07:45 PM

No time limit but there is a cut off time at the end of the day. if you havent made it to the half way mark by 4:30 you will be asked to leave the course. I would just say no. lol. Heres a link from last year when I ran and did mainsite wods and I did two a day for a while to. Im 36 5'11" 250 and made it through with no sprains or strains. I credit crossfit for that all the way. Use to play rugby league and would devlope strains often. http://www.board.crossfit.com/member...poster&t=70990

And the elctroshock was no big deal. It hurt but it was short and sweet. Just keep running.

Blair Robert Lowe 01-09-2012 08:29 PM

Thanks Jason for clearing that up. I read that upon that half way mark they divert you to an alternate course.

Hill running sucks. I remember it during what little XC I trained for besides the HillRun in the CF 2008 Games. My legs were jello by that time though.

Quite honestly, I would not to walk it or not make that 4:30 mark. As my family likes to say, "Go for Broke!"

Collin Thompson 01-09-2012 09:06 PM

Not suggesting to walk it but once you're there they stress hard that it isn't a race.

Mike Karolewicz 01-09-2012 09:14 PM

But for training would the main site wod do justice. I have 9 months to get in shape. I usally just do 531 for lifting no cardio. I can't wait at all. It's gonna be hello but I'm prepping for this race and to be in greater health.

Damien Archambault 01-09-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Mayhugh (Post 1021731)
No time limit but there is a cut off time at the end of the day. if you havent made it to the half way mark by 4:30 you will be asked to leave the course. I would just say no. lol. Heres a link from last year when I ran and did mainsite wods and I did two a day for a while to. Im 36 5'11" 250 and made it through with no sprains or strains. I credit crossfit for that all the way. Use to play rugby league and would devlope strains often. http://www.board.crossfit.com/member...poster&t=70990

And the elctroshock was no big deal. It hurt but it was short and sweet. Just keep running.

Yeah it was short and sweet, but there was one guy just behind me that got shocked and forgot to close his eyes during the face plant. Man I felt bad for him:(