CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Co-ordination in Crossfit? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=69080)

David Strand 07-30-2011 12:23 AM

Co-ordination in Crossfit?

Hey all, was wondering if you could shed some light on something I was wondering about: aren't balance and coordination important to General Physical Preparedness? I rarely if ever see much work devoted specifically to these skills. And yes, I would understand the argument that the various lifts and exercises involved in Crossfit would qualify as a way of working one's balance and coordination, and perhaps that is all that the powers that be at Crossfit feel is necessary. If that's the case, tell me! I just wanted to see if this would perhaps create discussion and let me see some opinions.

Brendan McNamar 07-30-2011 08:18 AM

Re: Co-ordination in CrossFit?

I can't balance in pistols, yet. Have the strength but can't stay balanced over my foot.

Watching me do double unders could be used as the definition of uncoordinated. So when I get it worked out I will have become more coordinated.

I guess part of it is your starting reference point. Mine is real low.

Katherine Derbyshire 07-30-2011 10:36 PM

Re: Co-ordination in Crossfit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Strand (Post 967619)
Hey all, was wondering if you could shed some light on something I was wondering about: aren't balance and coordination important to General Physical Preparedness? I rarely if ever see much work devoted specifically to these skills. And yes, I would understand the argument that the various lifts and exercises involved in Crossfit would qualify as a way of working one's balance and coordination, and perhaps that is all that the powers that be at Crossfit feel is necessary. If that's the case, tell me! I just wanted to see if this would perhaps create discussion and let me see some opinions.

Yes, the various Crossfit exercises do promote balance and coordination to some degree.

Whether that is sufficient depends on your goals. For general fitness, probably fine. For specialized demands, you would want to modify your training to match those demands.

Katherine

Blair Robert Lowe 07-31-2011 04:55 PM

For coordination, that's why you'll see handstand work or animal walks thrown into workouts.

Really though they are a skill and need to be treated as such.

You know how kids get coordinated? They play a lot. The kids that play a lot get to be for the most part, the best coordinated besides the genetics freaks who just have superior coordination and balance that is above part. Still, it's due to "time-in" on their part.

David Strand 07-31-2011 11:43 PM

Cool, makes sense.

Pearse Shields 08-01-2011 02:07 AM

Double-unders, box jumps, pistol squats, handstand work and burpee bar jumps... All of these address those 2 physical skills to some degree.