CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Stuff and Nonsense (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Arizona... (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=67208)

Matthew Swartz 05-17-2011 03:09 PM

Arizona...

Is my favorite state.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13397306 WFS

What do we think? Fine the fatties?

David Hansen 05-17-2011 03:38 PM

Re: Arizona...

I have an answer to this question, but it's about as politically charged as would be any answer to this question.

I see this thread going into pukie's bucket in 3..2..1..

Matthew Swartz 05-17-2011 03:59 PM

Hey now, I didn't propose the law.

John McCord 05-17-2011 04:27 PM

I guess the problem would be:

1. Who decides what "heathy weight" is.

2. Who decides what a "healthy diet" is.

Now that should start a 600 page thread argument.

Jared Ashley 05-17-2011 04:34 PM

I live in AZ because I love the weather and the mountains.

The politicians here are... well, to avoid getting scolded by the mods I'll just say I don't agree with them, basically ever. The only decent one is in houston recovering from a gunshot wound to the head.

John McCord 05-17-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared Ashley (Post 937653)
I live in AZ because I love the weather and the mountains.

The politicians here are... well, to avoid getting scolded by the mods I'll just say I don't agree with them, basically ever. The only decent one is in houston recovering from a gunshot wound to the head.

- While her husband is in space.

Pearse Shields 05-17-2011 07:39 PM

Heh, I think this is a good idea. Obesity is a medical condition. It should not be acceptable to be told that your weight is causing you health problems, and then continue eating crap and doing nothing. Why should fat people be exempt from having to lose weight, just because it's not "sensitive" to them, or whatever argument it is.
Obesity isn't just affecting the way you look, it's affecting how healthy you are. People need to realize that.

Chris Walls 05-18-2011 07:46 AM

But in the article it says those who have kids or are obese due to a medical condition are exempt... well my guess is that's pretty much all of them. Nothing is your fault anymore, and it's always due to some sort of medical condition or anything that makes it "not my fault, I'm a helpless victim here".

Just my un-PC insensitive $0.02

ETA: not to say that some might not have a legitimate medical condition, my comment is more to the general state of affairs in that no one is responsible for anything anymore (not just this particular topic), it's always out their hands or is the fault of someone else.

Shane Skowron 05-18-2011 08:19 AM

People should be able to do whatever they want as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others.

That's all I'll say.

Jared Ashley 05-18-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearse Shields (Post 937735)
Obesity is a medical condition.

You're right, it's a medical condition. And the recent health care laws disallow discrimination based on pre-exisiting conditions.

More importantly though, there are simply better ways to save money. I have seen several AHCCCS (arizona healthcare cost containment system, aka medicaid in AZ) patients who are forced to stay in an acute-care hospital bed for several weeks or even months because they aren't safe to go home and AHCCCS doesn't want to pay for a skilled nursing facility. This kind of absurdity costs tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars every single time it happens. but does it get addressed? No. Instead, we get a recommendation to fine obese people 50 bucks for being fat.

It's like somebody with $100,000 in credit card debt, 2 luxury cars, a horse, a mansion, and a vacation home trying to get out of debt by reducing their caddy's tip.