CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   50/50 (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=62367)

Nick Hoffman 10-20-2010 09:12 AM

50/50
 
I just finished this book. It follows Dean Karnazes on his journey to run 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days. Not only did he do that (and while finishing his last marathon in 3 hours), he also decided to run 1,300 miles in a month back to start of his first marathon. This guy is a beast, if there ever was one.

He's also a proponent of midfoot strike running, minimalist footware (even recommended VFFs) and the "caveman" diet.

Shane Skowron 10-20-2010 09:21 AM

Re: 50/50
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman (Post 857840)
I just finished this book. It follows Dean Karnazes on his journey to run 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days. Not only did he do that (and while finishing his last marathon in 3 hours), he also decided to run 1,300 miles in a month back to start of his first marathon. This guy is a beast, if there ever was one.

He's also a proponent of midfoot strike running, minimalist footware (even recommended VFFs) and the "caveman" diet.

He eats mostly paleo when he's not training or racing, but it's my understanding he eats whatever he can when he needs calories. He has a story about ordering pizza while running and having the delivery guy meet him at an intersection, and finishing the pizza while running.

He's not well-liked in the ultrarunning community. I think he's impressive though.

Nick Hoffman 10-20-2010 09:35 AM

Re: 50/50
 
He says he rolls the pizza up like a giant burrito.

I didn't know he wasn't liked; why is that? Seems like a cool enough guy.

Shane Skowron 10-20-2010 10:53 AM

Re: 50/50
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman (Post 857861)
I didn't know he wasn't liked; why is that? Seems like a cool enough guy.

He's extremely controversial in the ultrarunning community. Some people like him, others hate him.

Basically his detractors say that a) he exaggerates his feats b) many of his feats can and have been bested by other runners and c) money is his overriding concern

For example I pulled this from another message board:


While I was at Western States this year (I finally got in).. I was ****ED
pretty early in the race when I never saw a dude with a Shotgun starting us
up to the top of Squaw. When I got to the top of Squaw.. there was a more
magnificent view BEHIND me then there was ahead of me... and I couldn't make
out where the hell Auburn was either way... (in Dean's Book.. he tells us
about this magnificent view of snow capped mountains and hundreds of miles
of terrain we were about to cross... that view doesn't exist from the top of
Squaw.) and then.. I looked for Karno Cliff... the one he claims he fell off
of..Doesn't exist... there is no cliff he could have fallen off and lived to
tell the tell... which leads me to believe that he has the same super powers
at Bruce Willis in Unbreakable.


Never been to WS so I can't say.

Regardless, I think he's a great endurance athlete.

Matt Thomas 10-20-2010 10:53 AM

Re: 50/50
 
I think he's generally not well liked because he wrote a book and got famous for doing all this ultra running and competing in certain races, but compared to other athletes in the unltra running community, who aren't really famous, he's not that impressive.

Ah beat me to it Shane.

I am a Dean fan though. The author of Born to Run seems to have quite a distaste for Dean because he is so commercial minded, but idolizes Scott Jurek.

You know what though...whatever. I think what Dean does brings a lot more attention to ultra running. I first saw his book in Barnes and Noble and got it because it looked interesting. It is because of that book that I learned things like that were even possible and when I finished all I wanted to do was go out and run. Scott Jurek on the other hand....never heard of him. At least not until Born to Run. Not saying he's not an amazing endurance athlete. Better than Dean for sure. But what's wrong with capitalizing on a talent that you have and bringing some notice to your sport at the same time?

Mike Whitehead 10-20-2010 12:21 PM

Re: 50/50
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Skowron (Post 857848)
He eats mostly paleo when he's not training or racing, but it's my understanding he eats whatever he can when he needs calories. He has a story about ordering pizza while running and having the delivery guy meet him at an intersection, and finishing the pizza while running.

He's not well-liked in the ultrarunning community. I think he's impressive though.

I remember this article. Didn't it go on to say that he fell asleep running later on that night? Some where near some crazy number of 350 miles?

Ted Apollo 12-06-2010 03:03 AM

Re: 50/50
 
because of this thread i bought his book 'ultra marathon man: confrssions of an all-night runner' a few days ago. i am about halfway through it. i knew ultra running existed but this book is providing me with impressive insight into the sport.

whats interesting is that he isn't overtraining. no overuse injuries or anything. makes me rethink what i thought i understood about training capacity. in an interview with him he said that after a big race he will go out and run the next day. he said getting the blood flowing & drinking alot of waters aides his recovery. i have been using running & bike riding as active recovery for my strength & metcon training the past few years & it definitely helps get rid of soreness. i just wonder about things like blisters & losing toenails. that has to take its toll on the body.

Dave Hardy 12-06-2010 05:28 AM

Re: 50/50
 
Quote:

b) many of his feats can and have been bested by other runners
I know his 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days challenge had already been accomplished by a amateur runner just after Karnazes started his own attempt. In fact, the guy did 51 in 50 days, and somewhat incredibly, got faster the longer he went on.

http://www.marathonandbeyond.com/choices/larkin.htm (wfs)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.