CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   paleo with hypoglycemia? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=52251)

Rene' Hardee 10-20-2009 09:23 AM

paleo with hypoglycemia?

A friend of mine is scared to go paleo because she is hypoglycemic and said she needs sugar. Can anyone shed any light on this? Can she not do it?

Mike Mallory 10-20-2009 09:28 AM

Re: paleo with hypoglycemia?

haha........she's hypoglycemic from eating sugar!

If you get off high glycemic carbs then your body will find it much easier to control blood sugar, because it won't have the big swings...........Giving the ol'
pancreas a break

Katherine Derbyshire 10-20-2009 09:32 AM

Short answer: There's plenty of sugar in fruit.

Longer answer:
What's she eating now? Is she hypoglycemic as a complication of diabetes, or due to some other cause?

Generally speaking, one way to manage hypoglycemia is to change eating patterns to ensure stable blood sugar. That's one of the benefits that Paleo adherents claim for their diet, too.

Katherine

Beth Eternick 10-20-2009 09:40 AM

I'd suggest tracking food intake for a good week or so, to get an idea of where they're at and how much of 'what' - how much carbohydrate from sugar, or from fiber? How much fat or protein? Caloric total?

If sugar is high but fiber is really low, try to swap those numbers around for a couple of weeks. While lowering carbohydrate total intake might be a solution, and might even turn out to be a necessary one, it can be a bit awkward for people to wrap their minds around it. Switching the sources of intake is one way to get the ball rolling, if that's the case. Nothing wrong with starting slow, *as long as* it's all being tracked. :) (Slow going tends to have less sudden 'extreme' results or effects, and they're easier to NOT notice.) Knock out a bit of fruit if it's over 3 pieces a day, for example. Cut out the candy for a few weeks entirely. No sodas, no 'fruit juice' (I don't care how 'natural' it is!!) and replace it with other items (my go-tos are nuts, sliced meat and hard-boiled eggs - although I'd really recommend any veggies they'd like, also. ;) ).

When I cut back on sugar, my blood sugar started evening out quite nicely... but when I cut back on *starches* (rice, pasta, potatoes) I STOPPED having sugar crashes. And I even added a bit of sugar in the form of a bit more fruit and the like, and my glucose has STAYED stable.
Raising my total protein and fat intake has helped a ton with keeping me full, not feeling the 'need' to munch on whatever all day long. :)
No major midday cravings NEEDING sugar or anything. :)

John Devine 10-20-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rene' Hardee (Post 682987)
A friend of mine is scared to go paleo because she is hypoglycemic and said she needs sugar. Can anyone shed any light on this? Can she not do it?

Odds are she's HYPERinsulemic not HYPOglycemic. And sugar is the cause not the solution. Robb Wolf refers to this as the insulin-glucagon teeter-totter.

Have her do strict paleo. The hypoglycemic feeling should be gone in 3-5 days.

Kevin Thomas 10-21-2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rene' Hardee (Post 682987)

If she has a medical condition, maybe she should see a dietician instead of having her friend get random, generic advice off the internet for her.

Laura Kurth 10-21-2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas (Post 683542)
If she has a medical condition, maybe she should see a dietician instead of having her friend get random, generic advice off the internet for her.

Indeed.

Beth Eternick 10-21-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas (Post 683542)

Probably. Presuming she's just "carb/sugar addicted" and working under the assumption that it's the sole problem isn't going to help with a medical basis.

OTOH, dieticians can be hit-or-miss also, and maybe carb/sugar IS the only real problem (I've known *several* people who are 'hypoglycemic' but really only live on processed boxed pasta dinners, candy and Mt. Dew. :rolleyes: )

If nothing else, logging items might help a doctor (or nurse or other professional) get a better overview. And if this isn't something previously confirmed with blood work and a diagnosis, trying to drop certain foods in small doses may not be such a bad idea anyway, depending on the current sources.

Trevor Wallace 10-21-2009 10:20 AM

I am hypoglycemic and I found the first 3 days of paleo tough but after that there were no more insulin swings. Have her stick with it for at least 3 days becasue it takes a while for your system to get off the crack.

Rene' Hardee 10-21-2009 11:58 AM

Thanks all for your helpful comments (except for the snide one from Kevin).
I've suggested she go paleo since she has seen my great results, but she's putting up a fight. She has seen a doctor about her condition, but has not gone into detail with me about his suggestions or recomendations. She said she tried to give up carbs with her exboyfriend a few years ago and lasted about 3 days because she felt sick.

Trevor, sounds like paleo really helped your condition. I wonder if her doctor is really giving her good advice? She made it sound like he was mad at her the one time she tried to give up carbs, like it was a stupid idea for someone with her condition.

Katherine Derbyshire 10-21-2009 02:26 PM

First, let's be clear on what kind of carbs we are talking about. A diet based on donuts and chocolate bars is not the same as one based on whole grains, veggies, and fruit. Most doctors recommend a diet rich in whole grains, veggies, and fruit for everyone, so your friend's doctor might have been upset with her for choosing to ignore that advice.

Many people feel sick if they radically change their diet. It's a big adjustment for the body. If you dump grains without replacing the calories, you can also put yourself into a pretty steep calorie deficit.

As for her doctor giving her bad advice... unless you have a medical degree yourself and have personally evaluated her condition, you probably aren't in a position to make that judgment.

Katherine

Helen Lawson 10-22-2009 07:22 AM

No advice for your friend, but here is my story and i hope it will help:

I was severely hypoglycemic for years! I kept going to doctors trying to figure out what was wrong with me. They would tell me i was having a nervous breakdown: shaking, headaches, sweats, heart palpatations, etc...

Finally, i was at the point where i was gaining almost 5 lbs a week! I went to the store and bought a glucose blood thingy and when i was shaky i took my blood sugar measurement and it was about 25! I laughed when the documentation that came with the little machine said to go to the emergency room immediately if it was below 50.

I brought the machine with my results to my primary physician who is also a cardiologist. He told me to go on the atkins diet. I did and lost about 40 lbs in 3 months. During all of this i was doing the globo gym thing on & off. Finally i was too weak & skinny to stay on strict atkins. I went to a endochronologist (blood sugar doctor = where i suggest your friend goes) and he wanted to put me on drugs. I said no! I gradually started ramping up the carbs and found a point where i stopped losing weight and was able to gain just a little strength (globo style).

Now, I can still only eat about 15 grams of carbs at each meal. If i eat more than that my sugar crashes about 1/2 hour later. The exception is late at night...your body reacts differently to sugar when you are sleeping so i still eat my ice cream every night right before i go to bed...and many nights i have my carbs in the form of a glass of wine or 2. Also, it seems like the stronger I get (Crossfit style) the more sugar my body is capable of handling without freaking out.

I've talked to several cardiologists and endocronologists about the long term affects of little carb/sugar intake and they all say the same thing: That as long as you have about 50 grams of carbs a day (100 for men) you will be fine.

Laura Kurth 10-22-2009 07:41 AM

I'm curious why 50g for women and 100g for men are the numbers they throw out? My understanding was that the brain is the main "user" of carbohydrate, consuming in the region of 100 - 120 g per day, (regardless of gender?) so just wondering why they suggest men get this much, but not women.... ?

Just curious!

Jamie J. Skibicki 10-22-2009 08:09 AM

Men also burn more calories even when accounting for body mass. This could be the reason why. Also, men general weight much more.

Or more proof that the medical community typically has their heads up a pharmaceutical reps ***.

Brad Davis 10-22-2009 07:57 PM

I'm another former hypoglycemic (according to a MD) who seems to have been cured by spending a couple of years on TPD. Getting rid of all those starches and processed sugars really seems to do the trick. I've since added back about 4 slices of sprouted wheat bread per day and that doesn't seem to cause a problem. I feel well as long as I stay at roughly Zone proportions.

As for dietitian and MD nutrition advice, it is certainly a hit-and-miss proposition. Have you guys read what dietitians write on the internet, especially when it comes to managing diabetes and hypoglycemia?! Also, I've talked to 3 or 4 of our family's MDs over the last 2-3 years and I'm about half convinced that I know more about nutrition than all but one of them. They study such a broad range of topics in med school--perhaps they don't spend a large chunk of time on nutrition. Point being to not just bow down and assume that a person from either of these two groups knows more just because of formal education.

Helen Lawson 10-23-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Kurth (Post 684025)
I'm curious why 50g for women and 100g for men are the numbers they throw out?

Yeah, its got to do with anticipated body mass and calorie burning. Same reason they say men get 2 glasses of red wine a day and women only get 1! :ranting2: