CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Plyo boxes and lessons learned (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=42895)

Joe NMI Miller 02-15-2009 06:55 PM

Plyo boxes and lessons learned

1 Attachment(s)
I built these 4 boxes from 2 and 1/4 pieces of 4 x 8 plywood. I'm guessing I could have built 1 more from what I had left so 3 pieces would easily build 5 boxes.

I used the awesome instruction from CFJ #49. I would add the following:

1. Have a helper. No way you could hold these together to screw and glue your self. I used Elmer's Wood Glue.
2. Mark a template on your work surface for pre-drilling the side's screws-that way they all look even and the same.
3. I used 1 1/4" deck screws instead of drywall screws, they're only $2 more for the 1# box.
4. For the handles I used a 2" hole saw on my power drill to cut the rounded ends (with minimal overlap on the marked centerline) and then used the jig saw to cut out the little piece left in the middle.
5. Definitely make the cardboard mockup. I though that helped alot. I still measured out the pattern on the plywood using a drywall square but making the cardboard on helps visualize how the cuts should look.

I'm gonna jump on them as is and wait until it's a little warmer outside to sand them, varnish and put the mat on top.

All in all a doable project with modest carpentry skills. I'd guess about 5 hours all together as they are.

joe

Josh Elmore 02-16-2009 09:12 AM

Re: Plyo boxes and lessons learned

Very cool, I'm planning on building these guys in the next few weeks. Be sure and update us when they are 100%

Paul Rivers 02-16-2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe NMI Miller (Post 519198)
3. I used 1 1/4" deck screws instead of drywall screws, they're only $2 more for the 1# box.

Thanks for posting this, very helpful! These are on my list to make in the coming months.

What's the difference in the two types of screws? Is it that drywall screws may rust, whereas deck screws won't?

Bill Houghton 02-16-2009 11:46 AM

Nice boxes. I ended up cutting some of my scrap up and placing it inside the boxes, coming down the sides about 4" Now when I stack my boxes the box going inside hits these pieces and the boxes don't get locked together in the stacked position.

Bill

Scott Stevens 02-16-2009 01:18 PM

What are you using for the mat?

Joe NMI Miller 02-16-2009 05:43 PM

Scott:
I'm planning on using the mat as decribed in the CFJ, probably from Jeffrey Allens, but not until after I sand and varnish them.

Bill:
Thanks for the idea! I may do that.

Paul:
It's my perception that deck screws are hardier. I've twisted the head off a drywall screw many times but not off a deck screw. I don't think however once all is screwed and glued it probably makes much difference. I'll call it a $2 investment in piece of mind since others will be jumping on boxes I made!

v/r
joe

Bill Houghton 02-16-2009 08:29 PM

Scott,

I found some approx 18" x 18" interlocking rubber "tiles" at Menards here. I cut off the interlocking pieces on my table saw. After cutting those edges off they were the same size as the box tops (17 1/8" comes to mind). They have quarter sized raised areas on them for grip. They aren't soft at all though, so if you ended up on your knees coming down on one, it would hurt.

Bill

Michael Manning 02-16-2009 08:51 PM

Guys, instead of mat on top, we used bed liner paint from any auto parts store. Gives a nice non skid finish and the plywood is "givy" enough to not need extra rubber.