CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Trent's Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26973)

Wendy Pace 03-26-2008 08:19 AM

Re: Trent's Log

Hey Trent! I'm having Trent withdrawals!!:(
Nice work on the dl's. If that higher starting position feels better, go with it. I just worked with Don McCauley down in Savannah and he adjusted a few things about my starting position that really helped. Stephen's good, but sometimes I think he isn't willing to admit he doesn't know everything.;)

That's awesome about those guys at Blatt. Did you take some chalk with you?

I'll be at the CF gym Thursday and Friday afternoons. Hope to see you there.

Aaron Trent 03-26-2008 03:29 PM

Wendy! I miss seeing you and lifting with you. I will be at the gym Friday so I'll see you then.
The higher hips at the start work so much better for me and I plan on starting like that from now on even if Stephen disagrees, you're right though.
I did have chalk with me because I can't lift without it. It really makes a huge difference. I wish you could have seen how fast I pulled the bar off the ground.

Aaron Trent 03-26-2008 03:34 PM

3-26-2008

Grip work at CCF
Farmers Walk x 5 alternating the thick handled 45lb KB and the 28kg KB between hands.
Rope climb x 1

Bike ride
46 miles mostly flat steady state work.
Bonked hard around mile 37.
I guess I need to up my carbs a little.

I'm feeling much improved over Saturday. My hams and quads are adapting well to the bike. My hip flexors are ridiculously sore right now.

Melissa Urban 03-26-2008 04:25 PM

I ripped this off Grace's log, because I didn't want to totally hijack. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Trent (Post 280539)
If you don't mind I can field this one since the DL is my favorite lift and one of my favorite exercises.

You should be pulling the bar up along your shins but you shouldn't be trying to rip chunks of skin out. For me, I always wear tall socks when I pull. This ensures a lay of fabric between my skin and the bar. One of the Olympic Lifters at my gym wears tall socks when she is training for the same reason.

Good advice. I'm not trying to rip chunks of skin off, but there's not a lot of meat there and I'm concentrating so hard on keeping the bar close that it's bound to happen. And my bar has those grooves (knurling?), which doesn't help. My trainer has recommended tall socks too. I'm going to have to do something, because I get funny looks when I wear a skirt.

I'm also interested in hearing more about the DL starting position changes you made. I've been playing around with mine too, but I haven't yet nailed down what feels best (and produces the best results).

Thanks, Aaron! Keep up the hard work.

Aaron Trent 03-26-2008 06:15 PM

The knurling is your friend as it provides for a secure grip, but it will destroy your shins without some care. Socks are my favorite because sweat pants don't provide as much ROM.

As for my form: My coach is an Olympic Coach and he has been telling me to sink my hips really low to the point my femur is parallel to the ground. You can read about what happened when I tried to pull 235 a few weeks ago on the previous page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJhxT...eature=related (wfs)
At 1:18 in this video you can see about where I was starting.

On Monday I smoked 235, but I was not at my regular gym and my coach was not there so I did not sink my hips like that. I started with them higher and I was more comfortable and very strong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkmZR...eature=related
The starting position I like is similar to Jodi's in that video. She weighs 105 and has pulled 290!

Melissa Urban 03-27-2008 05:06 AM

Holy crap - from that video I see what you mean about starting out low. Seems like it would be so much harder to get started.

On some of the lighter reps yesterday, I was playing around yesterday with my foot position, and how cranked under the bar I was pulling myself. I bet one of those reps was what did the damage to my shin.

That video of Jodi is amazing - she makes it look easy. Based on prior video I've taken of myself, that's about my starting position too. I'm going to have to take another video soon, though, as it's been about a month since I've had any coaching on this move.

Thanks again!
Melissa

Aaron Trent 03-27-2008 09:29 AM

Melissa:
That is a VERY low starting position but it puts you in a great position for the second pull. Only problem is that there is no second pull in the DL.
Jodi is phenomenal, IIRC, she is aiming to be the strongest pound for pound female in the DL in all of Canada! :eek:

Aaron Trent 03-27-2008 04:01 PM

3-27-2008

Cycling

5 x jump sprints. Spin up to about 25 then stand up and hammer for about 300 meters.

3 x 2 mile intervals

1 x 1 mile

Total ride distance was about 30 miles.

Aaron Trent 03-28-2008 03:17 PM

3-28-2008

Squats:

4 sets, 3 reps, 170lbs
1x5x155

Felt good on all reps but one where I let myself go lose on the descent. I still got out of the hole after a little bounce.
I think I could have done a 5th set at 170.

Grace Patenaude 03-30-2008 06:34 PM

How was that bike race this weekend? Faster, better and stronger, I'm sure! Cuz you're a crossfitter! :kicking0: