CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Trent's Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26973)

Grace Patenaude 04-27-2008 07:50 AM

Re: Trent's Log

Aaron,

You are going to the time trial challenge in Denver to qualify for the US Paralympic Cycling Team. That is so awesome!!! Thirty-eight days of quality work, rest & nutrition should get you ready. Denver, mile-high city, will be a good challenge. But you'll do well, especially if you push your lung capacity's threshold for the next 4 weeks. Go headstrong!

Aaron Trent 04-27-2008 12:00 PM

4-27-2008
Quest for Denver: Day Two
Easy/Moderate Pace ride
Distance: 30 miles

Grace:
Thank you for the encouragement! I am going to have to pound my lungs into submission to prepare for the elevation.

Aaron Trent 04-28-2008 02:51 PM

4-28-2008
Quest for Denver: Day Three

Dynamic Effort Deadlifts
8 sets 2 reps 165lbs
DE Front Squats
5 sets 2 reps 95lbs

Front Squat PR
165lbs

Reverse Hyper Extensions to loosen up the back.

The Dynamic Effort was focused on maximum bar speed. I'm trying to get more explosive now instead of moving maximum weight so I used light weights and focused on moving it as quickly as good form allowed. I just couldn't resist going for that FS PR. The weight wasn't hard, but it was my wrists that were protesting.
I will likely sit on the trainer and spin my legs out this evening.

Aaron Trent 04-29-2008 05:51 PM

4-29-2008
Quest for Denver: Day Four

Tuesday Night Training Crit:
50 minutes plus 2 laps
Distance: 23 miles
Avg Speed: 24.1mph
Finishing Position: Off the Back

I felt really good the whole race. I rode near the front and went on a few flyers with some other guys. A 2 man break went up the road about 40 minutes in. At the 45 minute mark I went in a break only to see the other 4 guys sit up. I was about to sit up when someone behind me said to go for it, so I did and I looked up and saw the leaders. I wanted to bridge to them but I didn't have the power at that point. We traded pulls for about 2 laps before getting gobbled up by the pack, I was spit off the back with 1.5 laps to go. I'm satisfied, I rode my freaking heart out tonight and I'm feeling better about Denver.

PS: I will have some pictures from the Crit soon, I'll post some here.

Wendy Pace 04-29-2008 06:28 PM

Trent that is awesome about Denver - how cool would that be to go to Beijing!
Are you going to cut out the CF workouts until then? I don't know - I did that and now I'm not sure if it helped, cuz now I'm paying the piper.

Hope to see ya at the gym soon!

Aaron Trent 04-29-2008 06:43 PM

Hey Wendy, I'd really love to go to Beijing, but I might end up paying the piper for not riding at all over the winter. I'm still going to try but I will face some still competition from on of the guys already on the team. I'm planning on dropping by CCF Friday for a light CF workout but I'm not planning on doing a lot of them between now and Denver.

Aaron Trent 04-30-2008 07:53 PM

4-30-2008
Quest for Denver: Day Five

Summit Ride:
Total Distance: 28 miles
Total Avg Speed: 21 mph
Hard Distance: 16 miles
Avg: 24.5 mph

Felt great, attacked on the last hill, got passed and got dropped. Not much to say, I'm starting to hit form, two good days in a row. I have a lot to learn about racecraft.

Aaron Trent 05-01-2008 08:27 PM

5-1-2008
Quest for Denver: Day Six

Mt. Elon Ride
Total Distance: 52 miles
Total Fast Distance: 38 miles

110 miles in 3 days, 80 miles+ at or above race pace. I rode well again today although I was riding on the edge of my pain threshold for several miles. It's nice to be able to ride on the edge and just keep going.

Grace Patenaude 05-02-2008 11:02 AM

Keep working hard! Less than a week Aaron!

Aaron Trent 05-05-2008 08:43 PM

Been a while so this post will contain 4 days of training.

5-2-2008
Quest for Denver: Day Seven
Beer Ride
Total Distance: 25 miles
I should have gone easier, I was feeling beat up from the previous days of riding.

5-3-2008
Quest for Denver: Day Eight
Rest: Strict

5-4-2008
Quest for Denver: Day Nine
Time Trial Simulation:
Distance: 9 miles
Avg Speed: 23.4mph
Total Trip Distance: 38 miles

This was my first ride in the aero bars so I am happy with my time. I am going to need to average 24.91 to make the National team, and 25.6 to make Elite standards. Elite is my goal. I look at it like this; I have 4 aspects upon which I can improve.
1) Bike Fit: Tailoring my bike to Time Trialing should net me some speed.
2) Specific Muscle Adaptation: Time Trialing utilizes some muscles that are not used in the standard road bike positions, those were on fire during my TT effort. Adapting those to TTing will allow me to ride faster for longer.
3) Equipment: If I can obtain some better gear (best case scenareo would be an aero bike) such as better bars, seat, aero wheels, aero helmet I can gain some speed.
4) Training: Just practicing riding solo and pushing through the pain will help me a lot.