CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Rest Day Macros - Invictus Competition (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=88530)

Adam Fullerton 04-26-2015 06:28 AM

Rest Day Macros - Invictus Competition

Hi everyone -

I am currently following Invictus' Competition programming, thus I am in the gym ~2 - 2.5 hours 5x a week. On my rest days, I have an airdyne at home I like to hop on for some active recovery. Nothing intense, perhaps 30 minutes of a nice, steady pace.

My question is, on these rest days, do I need to keep my carbs as high as I would on a normal training day? Due to the high volume of training, I have been maintaining the same macros 7x a week essentially. I just want to know if I should/can reduce my carbs and up my fat on rest days since I am not training these 2x a week, and expect my performance (energy levels) to stay the same. I will still keep my calories the same 7x a week.

Thanks,
Adam

Justin Ruffing 04-26-2015 01:17 PM

Re: Rest Day Macros - Invictus Competition

I also follow the Invictus Comp programming. I keep carbs high on Thursdays. They program a ton of swimming for active recovery. I try to match it with rowing, light sled push, and airdyne.

On Sunday I do total rest and normally have a cheat meal or meals.

Tim Squires 04-30-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Ruffing (Post 1252003)
I also follow the Invictus Comp programming. I keep carbs high on Thursdays. They program a ton of swimming for active recovery. I try to match it with rowing, light sled push, and airdyne.

I'm curious as to why you choose your total rest day for your cheat meal(s). I assume these would be very high carb, thus it'd be better to have those "cheats" on your more intense days.

Personally, Saturday is our most intense and also the day most would refer to as a "cheat" day. In contrast, Sunday is my complete rest day when carbs are kept at a minimum (under 100g). Carbs on active rest days are also kept fairly light (around 100g or less).

Adam Fullerton 05-01-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Squires (Post 1252158)
I'm curious as to why you choose your total rest day for your cheat meal(s). I assume these would be very high carb, thus it'd be better to have those "cheats" on your more intense days.

Personally, Saturday is our most intense and also the day most would refer to as a "cheat" day. In contrast, Sunday is my complete rest day when carbs are kept at a minimum (under 100g). Carbs on active rest days are also kept fairly light (around 100g or less).

Tim, I assume you follow Invictus Comp or similar? Do you notice any issues with energy come Monday by keeping your carbs low on Sunday? I am assuming you replace those calories with high fat then?

Thanks!

Adam Fullerton 05-01-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Ruffing (Post 1252003)

Justin, how does your Sunday look for total recovery (in terms of macros)?

Chris Mason 05-06-2015 07:18 PM

If you are busting your *** in the gym 10+ hours per week in the hopes of improving performance you sure as heck should keep your carb intake high even on off days.