CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   opinions on the Wright HD vs. York Training bars bar. (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=64326)

Ron Murray 01-15-2011 08:38 PM

opinions on the Wright HD vs. York Training bars
 
Wright's HD bar and the York Needle-Bearing Training bar

anyone care to list their experiences/pros-cons with either (or both) of these bars? I have had no personal use with either one but have been recommended both of them by multiple people. I am looking to upgrade from my current multi-use bar in the garage gym and wanted something different that would provide quality use for awhile.

I prefer the 28-29mm bars, I like a moderately aggressive knurling (can live with aggressive as I prefer more than less). The whole whip speed isn't really going to be a huge factor because it will be for primarily intermediate to novice use. I am intrigued by the York's needle bearing system especially in this mid-low price range.

Brian Degenaro 01-15-2011 09:11 PM

Re: opinions on the Wright HD vs. York Training bars
 
The international needle bearing training bar is not worth the money. It's a low-end bar, not capable of handling any moderate loads for 9/10 of the bars produced. I have used 2 out of a total of 15 that have not bent or broken.

That is THIS bar:

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....ic-Training-Ba WFS

The "true" York training and competition barbells are practically indestructible, just like the B&R bar that Rogue sells.

Ron Murray 01-16-2011 02:46 PM

Re: opinions on the Wright HD vs. York Training bars
 
Thanks Brian. Yes, that is the York bar I was looking at. No experience with the Wright HD? What about any others in that price range?

Tamara Cohen 01-17-2011 10:03 AM

Re: opinions on the Wright HD vs. York Training bars bar.
 
I own the Wright HD.

Buy a Pendlay bushing class bar. Promise.

Ron Murray 01-17-2011 10:13 AM

Re: opinions on the Wright HD vs. York Training bars bar.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen (Post 892209)
I own the Wright HD.

Buy a Pendlay bushing class bar. Promise.

well I actually ordered the Pendlay HD for my own use last week. I was just looking for something slightly better for my garage classes than the $150 beater special that I have now.

Tamara Cohen 01-17-2011 06:59 PM

Re: opinions on the Wright HD vs. York Training bars bar.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Murray (Post 892214)
well I actually ordered the Pendlay HD for my own use last week. I was just looking for something slightly better for my garage classes than the $150 beater special that I have now.

Hmm. How many are you ordering? Just one?

Ron Murray 01-17-2011 07:01 PM

Re: opinions on the Wright HD vs. York Training bars bar.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen (Post 892446)
Hmm. How many are you ordering? Just one?

I am looking to order just one "nicer" bar for the oly stuff right now and keep the other beaters for, well, beating purposes. Of course, like I stated earlier I also treated myself to the Pendlay HD, but that's daddy's bar :D

Tamara Cohen 01-18-2011 05:33 AM

Re: opinions on the Wright HD vs. York Training bars bar.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Murray (Post 892448)
I am looking to order just one "nicer" bar for the oly stuff right now and keep the other beaters for, well, beating purposes. Of course, like I stated earlier I also treated myself to the Pendlay HD, but that's daddy's bar :D

Okay. Then my honest opinion is to extend your budget the extra $90 or so and order another Pendlay HD bar if at all possible. I bought the Wright HD bar to save the $100 at the time because I was also ordering bumpers and squat stands, and I used the $90 I saved to buy Oly shoes. I was told by more than one person that the Wright HD bar was comparable to the Pendlay bar. This is simply untrue, and as soon as I started lifting with Pendlay bars on a regular basis, I really wished I had spent the extra money on the Pendlay bar. It's not such a big deal for me now because I generally only use my Wright bar for squats and deadlifts. But, for Oly lifts, there is just no comparison. I have lifted with York bars on several occassions, and I'm not at all sure of which specific bars they were. However, I liked them about as much as I like the Wright HD bar for Oly, which isn't much.

In a WOD situation, I'm not going to tell you that it makes a difference. But, if you have at least one person who is interested in genuinely improving their Oly lifts, then I think the Pendlay bar is worth it.

Ron Murray 01-18-2011 07:44 PM

Re: opinions on the Wright HD vs. York Training bars bar.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen (Post 892567)
Okay. Then my honest opinion is to extend your budget the extra $90 or so and order another Pendlay HD bar if at all possible. I bought the Wright HD bar to save the $100 at the time because I was also ordering bumpers and squat stands, and I used the $90 I saved to buy Oly shoes. I was told by more than one person that the Wright HD bar was comparable to the Pendlay bar. This is simply untrue, and as soon as I started lifting with Pendlay bars on a regular basis, I really wished I had spent the extra money on the Pendlay bar. It's not such a big deal for me now because I generally only use my Wright bar for squats and deadlifts. But, for Oly lifts, there is just no comparison. I have lifted with York bars on several occassions, and I'm not at all sure of which specific bars they were. However, I liked them about as much as I like the Wright HD bar for Oly, which isn't much.

In a WOD situation, I'm not going to tell you that it makes a difference. But, if you have at least one person who is interested in genuinely improving their Oly lifts, then I think the Pendlay bar is worth it.

FINE!

I ordered a 2nd Pendlay HD :D

I feel less special now in my garage haha

Sean Rooks 01-21-2011 10:50 AM

Re: opinions on the Wright HD vs. York Training bars bar.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen (Post 892209)
I own the Wright HD.

Buy a Pendlay bushing class bar. Promise.

Agreed. Just had the wright HD bar delivered. It'll do for now, but the spin on it isn't nearly as good as the needle bars I'm used to.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.