CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Health and Medical Issues (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Muscle tension affecting Breathing... (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=53950)

Peter Evans 12-19-2009 06:43 PM

Muscle tension affecting Breathing...

Hi all,

I have a challenge, I have tight/tense muscles in my mid back I believe are restricting my breathing.

I normally 'belly breathe' i.e no chest movement only belly expanding on inhalation.

However I have a 'tightness' in my mid back that is preventing me from breathing deeply as I normally do.

Does anybody, or has anybody experienced this before and resolved it?

I'm not sure how to relax the muscles responsible for the tightness...

When I've gone to trigger point therapist recently, belly breathing whilst pressure is applied to the back helps but then the tension comes back...

Many thanks in advance :-)

Frank E Morel 12-19-2009 07:49 PM

Re: Muscle tension affecting Breathing...

always thought the muscles inbetween your ribs responsible for breathing. Back muscles are for staying erect and for shoulder function.

Peter Evans 12-19-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank E Morel (Post 712959)
always thought the muscles inbetween your ribs responsible for breathing. Back muscles are for staying erect and for shoulder function.

According to the trigger point therapist, muscles in the back can have an effect on the diagphram (sp)....

I wish I had a better understanding - all I know is that I can't breathe as deeply as I should, as opposed to expanding my ribcage which is different.

If that makes sense? ;-)

Mike Mallory 12-19-2009 09:51 PM

you can get trigger points near the back of the diaphragm, but the back muscles probably arent restricting your breath.

There's a lot that can make for tightness that affects breath;

rib misalignment
thoracic kyphosis
tight upper quarter
tight RA

If you have something that's preventing you from extending, like a joint subluxation, then you can get that kind of thing.....but in general, it sounds like your therapist has something mixed up, or we're just lacking info-

Katherine Derbyshire 12-19-2009 11:09 PM

Have you talked to a doctor? Maybe it's just me, but difficulty breathing is rather high on my list of "go see doctor now" triggers.

Also, is this literally *can't* breathe deeply, or don't want to breathe deeply because it hurts? And if it hurts, where?

Katherine

Peter Evans 12-20-2009 12:00 AM

Katherine,

I can breathe in 80% but when I try to get that last 20% it feels like a really tight muscular restriction across the front of my lower chest, 1 rib below my sternum. No pain just restriction. No wheezing or asthma - more like a reduced ROM... if that makes sense?

I need 20-30% capacity for normal day to day living but I notice that 'some sort of tension' is inhibiting a full deep, diaphragmatic breath.

Mike,

In my ignorant defence I say it could be related to tension in the back because my TP lady suggested that mechanism could be tied in with my tight QL, Erectors, psoas and adductors... who knows?

Does anyone have any self help techniques that I could use to get that proper 'ROM' breath back?

Peter Evans 12-20-2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mallory (Post 712979)
you can get trigger points near the back of the diaphragm, but the back muscles probably arent restricting your breath.

There's a lot that can make for tightness that affects breath;

rib misalignment
thoracic kyphosis
tight upper quarter
tight RA

If you have something that's preventing you from extending, like a joint subluxation, then you can get that kind of thing.....but in general, it sounds like your therapist has something mixed up, or we're just lacking info-

Mike, If I were to have any of the four options you've listed above would you know of any resources online that I could use to self-manage this challenge?

Or perhaps could you share any salient points?

I do have tight RA, but uncertain as to how to TP that without puking!! ;-)

thank you!

Steven Low 12-20-2009 08:26 AM

Stretch.

Get deep tissue work to BOTH serratus posterior inferior as well as all of the muscles in the upper/mid back. I find, if you absolutely cannot find someone to do massage you can use the corner of a wall (albeit painful for most) to work out knots in your back.

You can do some massage yourself for the anterior muscles.

Heat to loosen up muscles. Do that to your RA first, then stretch it out. Same with the heat to your back.

Peter Evans 12-20-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 713091)
Stretch.

Get deep tissue work to BOTH serratus posterior inferior as well as all of the muscles in the upper/mid back. I find, if you absolutely cannot find someone to do massage you can use the corner of a wall (albeit painful for most) to work out knots in your back.

You can do some massage yourself for the anterior muscles.

Heat to loosen up muscles. Do that to your RA first, then stretch it out. Same with the heat to your back.

thank you Steven - I'll get onto that today.

P.S your website EMI is looking great, keep it up!