CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Anti-Crossfit Resistance?!? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=29826)

Brian C. Williams 04-02-2008 05:37 AM

Anti-Crossfit Resistance?!?

I'm new here to the boards, but have been Crossfitting now for almost a year. No sense going to how I look/feel/am, since everyone here can attest to their own personal miracles, but I was wondering if anyone out there has encountered down right hostility to the Program.
I work/train in a series of commercial gyms owned by a local health system. I'm used to the stares by now, but lately I've been hearing the other gym folks mutter some annoying comments under their breath. One guy was showing his girlfriend/wife how to do incline flyes while I was doing ring dips (with my own rings, this gym wouldn't think of having something so "dangerous") when I faintly heard the guy say "what he's doing won't help you at all, what we're doing is the only way..." Seriously. Then I hear thru the grapevine a fellow personal trainer (I'm not Crossfit though, yet) doesn't want to be around me and says I have no business being employed 'cause I'm "crazy".
Apologies if this has been covered under previous posts, but anyone out there met this type of negativity? If yes, how to deal without being a prick?

Francisco Galarce Morales 04-02-2008 05:59 AM

Re: Anti-Crossfit Resistance?!?

find another gym to work/train...

or have an open conversation with collegae's during a work meeting or something..

Jamie J. Skibicki 04-02-2008 06:36 AM

Challenge him to WOD. Frans at twenty paces at dawn.

It all comes down to what works. If what you do works, than you aren't crazy. If what you do doesn't work and you keep doing it, you are.

Matt DeMinico 04-02-2008 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian C. Williams (Post 284303)
I'm new here to the boards, but have been Crossfitting now for almost a year. No sense going to how I look/feel/am, since everyone here can attest to their own personal miracles, but I was wondering if anyone out there has encountered down right hostility to the Program.
I work/train in a series of commercial gyms owned by a local health system. I'm used to the stares by now, but lately I've been hearing the other gym folks mutter some annoying comments under their breath. One guy was showing his girlfriend/wife how to do incline flyes while I was doing ring dips (with my own rings, this gym wouldn't think of having something so "dangerous") when I faintly heard the guy say "what he's doing won't help you at all, what we're doing is the only way..." Seriously. Then I hear thru the grapevine a fellow personal trainer (I'm not Crossfit though, yet) doesn't want to be around me and says I have no business being employed 'cause I'm "crazy".
Apologies if this has been covered under previous posts, but anyone out there met this type of negativity? If yes, how to deal without being a prick?

Sorry, I just had to chuckle, the dude actually said "what he's doing won't help you at all"? What a knucklehead. Next time, just bust out laughing and fall off the rings, laughing hysterically on the floor. This will solidify your insanity in their mind, but then when you pick yourself off the floor, you can go to him and say "Ok, exactly when in real life do you lay on an inclined bench and isolate your muscles in an incline fly movement?" Then, you might also just challenge him to see who's more fit. Pick a real life example, say something like "Let's say you were at work and a natural disaster hit, and the building collapsed. Your best friend is dying under a pile of rubble, and it's up to you to free him and get him to medical care, every second counts" Then challenge him to a "sandbag pile move for time" or something, where you've got to move sandbags off of a pallet, at least 2 feet away. Then, the final sandbag that's laying on the bottom is a 170-lb bag, and you have to pick it up and carry it for 400m.

When you finish in half the time, while he's trying to grip the sandbag in his hands and carry it like a bag of groceries because he can't get it up onto his shoulders, ask him "exactly what about my workout won't help at all? Pansy". Ok, maybe don't call him a pansy, but you get the idea.

Jamie J. Skibicki 04-02-2008 06:49 AM

Matt, I think you just came up with a new WOD. I mean the sand bag part, not causing a natural disaster so you move rumble for time part.

Joe Waguespack 04-02-2008 06:52 AM

"It's the same each time with progress. First they ignore you, then they say you're mad, then dangerous, then there's a pause and then you can't find anyone who disagrees with you."—Tony Benn

George Mounce 04-02-2008 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki (Post 284342)
Challenge him to WOD. Frans at twenty paces at dawn.

It all comes down to what works. If what you do works, than you aren't crazy. If what you do doesn't work and you keep doing it, you are.

A poem for "them".

In fact what works,
is more work,
in a shorter time,
which means more average power,
which means more intensity,
which means fitness!

And then destroy them at a WOD, or well at life for that matter.

I hear two things mainly; I can't do it, or I don't understand. Can't always means won't. I summarily explain if they want it or go about doing what I do. I dust my sandals off pretty quickly. If they say they don't understand, I give them basic explanations about functional movements people do everyday and ask if they want to be able to do them the rest of their life or become a non-functioning member of society, forced to be taken care of by people like me.

They tend to choose to be functioning, which is why everyone who works for me now at some level or another does CrossFit, because they have garnered the belief that being a functioning human is of immense value.

Steven Quadros 04-02-2008 07:58 AM

Welcome to commercial gym life.

I work at a globo, and I am constantly inundated by silly questions from 150 lb men wondering how to best hit their upper chest when they have no chest to speak of, or doing cable crossover flyes because it will isolate the muscle. Meanwhile, if they added 50 lbs to their bench- which is very possible, seeing how most of these guys bench a plate for a 8-10 reps every single time they come in- they'd probably make much better progress in the mass gaining aspect of their training, provided they ate for it.

Guys are starting to wonder what the hell I'm doing; since I've worked there I've done nothing but progress doing my "silly" workouts, wherein I squat 3 times a week, every week, and am done with all my workouts in anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and fifteen on my harder days, hardly ever doing more than 3-4 exerises, and never curling or flying, and I've consistently gotten bigger and heavier, and, more importantly, stronger.

My colleagues have questioned me before on squatting below parallel, and after explaining to one guy, only to have him basically snub his nose at being told it won't cause the apocalypse, have stopped trying to get people to understand; it's simply not worth my time to have people think I'm right.

Rip once said that one of his problems is that he cares too much about people understanding where he's coming from, and why he's right, but that he's trying to get over it. I, too, have that problem, and am doing my best to know what I know, learn more, and deal with the fact that many others will either be offended that you know more, or think you're crazy for learning; the answer- don't worry so damned much about, it'll make you crazy if you do.

Jake Oleander 04-02-2008 08:46 AM

I don't know why, but people always want to feel that their exercises are superior. Workout and let workout, I say. You dont like rings/o-lifts/metcons/curls/whatever? Don't do them! Find what works for you and do it, no need to be a workout crusader...

Colin McNulty 04-02-2008 08:57 AM

It's a modern mindset issue. People don't want exercise to be hard work. I saw an advert in my local paper for a lunchtime gym class recently that listed as one of the benefits: "No showering required, you can workout in your work clothes, because you won't even break a sweat!" :rofl: