CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best SS + CF hybrid? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26683)

Erik Eliassen 01-26-2008 01:14 PM

Re: Best SS + CF hybrid?

I might give that one a go actually. Possibly with one less Krav lesson. Its a lot of work the three first days, but three full rest days later on which should allow for recovery. If it feels like too much, I'll give Davids setup a go. I've bought some gainer to go along with the milk, so this might turn out pretty good :)

David Stout 01-26-2008 02:14 PM

Good luck and keep us posted man!

Get STRONG!

David

Tim Donahey 01-26-2008 02:50 PM

Weight gainer or whey protein? Weight gainer is crap... basically Protein + Sugar=Commercial Weight Gainer. Look at the ingrediants.

if you're doing the gallon of milk per day thing... you're pretty much set.

Steven Low 01-26-2008 03:08 PM

I think it would be better to start with CF, Krav and boxing and then start adding im SS as his conditioning level increases. Since we really don't know his conditioning at the moment.. it's probably not the best idea to program everything in at once in the beginning. But yeah. Shrug. Gotta learn what works for his body.

Erik Eliassen 01-26-2008 03:25 PM

I've got both. Have been using whey protein for a while now, with my zone meals.

Bah, you're right.. I just looked at the nutritional info: 71,5g carbs per 100g, where 1,6g of those are sugar..

Ingredients:
whey protein, [B]maltodextrin, dextrose[/B], creatine monohydrat, fat reduced cocoa powder.

Should I restrain myself from drinking it? I dont think I have a chance drinking a gallon of milk a day. It will probably only be like 1/4 or 1/3 of a gallon..

Steven Low 01-26-2008 03:43 PM

Weight gainer.. I mean you can use it.. but it's crappy. If your diet has been off of simple/refined sugars for a while it will make you feel horrible. I'd try to stay away from it as much as you can and possibly just chuck the whole thing although it will be a loss in money. (I would say give it away.. but you don't want to give other people something that's horrible for their health either, heh).

David Stout 01-26-2008 04:16 PM

Agree with Tim & Steven regarding the Weight Gainer. Eat more real food if you need the calories. Otherwise use Milk as Coach Rippetoe suggests. If its the pure volume that's getting you, straight up Whey with the Milk might work for you.

[QUOTE]I think it would be better to start with CF, Krav and boxing and then start adding im SS as his conditioning level increases. Since we really don't know his conditioning at the moment.. it's probably not the best idea to program everything in at once in the beginning. But yeah. Shrug. Gotta learn what works for his body.[/QUOTE]

Disagree with some of this. I agree with being conservative with programming. However, as the athlete has stated his "number one goal at the time is to gain mass and strength."

Given that his numbers other than his Total look decent, and given the above stated goal no other plan is going to put strength and weight on somebody like Coach Rippetoes plan.

Again I'd refer to the quote I posted from Coach Rippetoe.

Steven Low 01-26-2008 11:22 PM

[quote]Disagree with some of this. I agree with being conservative with programming. However, as the athlete has stated his "number one goal at the time is to gain mass and strength."

Given that his numbers other than his Total look decent, and given the above stated goal no other plan is going to put strength and weight on somebody like Coach Rippetoes plan.

Again I'd refer to the quote I posted from Coach Rippetoe.[/quote]

Didn't actually see that (more or less cause I skimmed the thread -_-). I'd put him on modified SS + krav + boxing then. Krav + boxing will actually be fairly decent conditioning probably so he doesn't need to worry about missing CF much.

Erik Eliassen 01-27-2008 04:20 AM

Cheers guys. I've actually used the weight gainer for a couple of days now, and I do feel sorta sick. I'll just give it away to some friends that are reckless about their diet. The only thing I now could imagine it working as for me is maybe a post-workout shake? But a zone-shake + milk is probably better anyway.

Oh by the way.
Cleans 3 sets of 5 reps, or 5 sets of 3 reps? It seems it varies a lot what people do here..

Erik Eliassen 01-30-2008 10:22 AM

Sorry for bumping, but just want to clarify this if you don't mind guys..

3x5 power cleans or 5x3 power cleans?