CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Starting over with Starting Strength (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=31104)

Erin Davidson 11-07-2008 10:00 PM

Re: Starting over with Starting Strength

Crazy Helen time...and man. Painstorm's not playing around. I say we do that one again sometime. I just can't stand not being better at it! :(

Patrick Haskell 11-08-2008 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenna Rettenmayer (Post 441448)
Wow, great Helen time! that's awesome, especially after all that pre-workout stuff....looking good!

Thanks. I had to be quick with Helen. I'm doing a hybrid. It's not overtraining unless the metcon takes longer than 10 minutes. :p

Patrick Haskell 11-08-2008 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin Davidson (Post 441480)
Crazy Helen time...and man. Painstorm's not playing around. I say we do that one again sometime. I just can't stand not being better at it! :(

I'll do it twice if you do. (OK, I'll do it twice anyways, but you can do better, so I'm guessing you will too.)

Patrick Haskell 11-08-2008 06:08 AM

More recovery logging

Haven't been tracking food portions these last few days. It's too time consuming to log to that degree, but I thought I'd log what I actually ate and what I did for recovery for the sake of my record keeping.

Sleep
5.5 hours Tuesday night in the afterglow
7.5 hours Wednesday night
8 hours Thursday night
8 hours Friday night

Could have slept more each night, but the kids woke me up.

Bodywork
I've been feeling sore in the lower back/glutes toward the end of my 45-minute commute since I did Linda Monday. Form during Linda was solid, and I feel completely fine as soon as I get out of the car, but there's a dull ache/tightness that makes me crazy at the end of my commute.

Tuesday and Thursday: Foam rolling and SMR with tennis balls in the low-back/glutes to help recover from Monday's Linda. Thursday's session was fairly abbreviated, although I hit the low-back/glute stuff from Linda and quads from front squatting. I think I need a Lacrosse ball for the glutes, though. The tennis balls don't cut through the serious tension. I need a different tool for my hamstrings for the same reason, as even a stick won't bust through those puppies. Anybody got a suggestion?

Friday - hot tub. 105-degree water was too much for this unusually warm November, but it still felt good on the shoulders and feet.

Food
It occurs to me that I'm eating the same thing a lot. This isn't ideal, but I think I've got bigger hurdles to overcome first.

Fasted Wednesday into Thursday - 14 hours. Didn't really plan this, but work kept me busy in the morning until my dentist appointment and despite a late dinner Wednesday, a fast happened. Fasting again today with more forethought.

Breakfast has been pretty much the same each day.
0.75-1.25 whole milk plain yoghurt
0.5-0.75 c. frozen mixed berries
1 t. spirulina
0.25 c. slivered roasted almonds
a few cups of partial-caf coffee with up to 2 ounces of cream total

2nd breakfast
2-3 eggs
with cheese and nitrate-free ham on Th & F
hard boiled on W

Lunch/snacks at work also similar
W - Turkey sandwich with lettuce on whole wheat bread with 1g sugar per slice
Th, F - antipasto plate with several ounces of turkey and/or nitrate-free ham, 2 oz. cheddar cheese, a dozen or so olives
W, Th, F - a dozen or so mini carrots, and 1/4c. homemade hummous, 2 small apples, 1 banana, 5-10 dried apricots, 1/4 to 1/2 c. roasted, 50% salted almonds or cashews, up to 1/4 c. raw brazil nuts

Dinner
W - spinach salad with feta, dried cranberries, EVOO, and balsamic vinegar, beef & bean chili, 12 oz. whole milk
Th - 4 oz. tofu* and 2 c. broccoli, supplemented with 16 oz. whole milk
F - 5 oz. Chicken, 1/4 c. peas, 1/3 c. whole wheat spinach linguini :eek: (but at least it was PWO carb loading :rolleyes:), spinach salad with feta, dried cranberries, EVOO, and balsamic vinegar, 1 c. Breyer's vanilla

Aside from an over-reliance on salty deli meats, I feel pretty good about the week. I usually skip the pasta part of the meals, but I felt right last night, so I had a little.

*All food quantities wild-*** guesses. Milk quantities pretty accurate.

Patrick Haskell 11-08-2008 08:06 AM

Oops, one more note for completness. 1 T flax seed oil in the am (with multi-vite and vit C) and 5g fish oil in the evenings each day.

Scott Jenkins 11-08-2008 08:19 AM

Great work on Helen Patrick, and stormin first round, maybe if you had gone off a bit slower you might have hit the 9 minute barrier.

David Schneider 11-08-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell (Post 441258)
Warmup
PVCF joint mobility series x 2
(8x each of Dislocates, pass-throughs, OHS, side lunge, OH reverse lunge,
RDL to muscle snatch, reverse lunge curtsey, sots press)

10 chest to bar pullups (need to test max on these someday)

Ring work
5 skin the cat-dislocate to hollow hold, pike to L-hang
5 hollowhold to tuck front lever (5 seconds per position and per transition)
ring dips 9-7-7

Skillwork
Burgener warmup
High hang snatch x3 - 45, 75, 95, 105, 115x2+f

(Need more work here to jack up that second pull, but I think it's getting better.)

DB swings
American swing 25# x 20
One-arm swing 25 x 20 each
American swing 35 x 20, 55 x 6

Metcon
Helen
9:16
Splits: 2:36, 5:51
400 splits: 1:29, 1:51, 2:12

Psyched by the Helen time considering I did not think I'd be able to hit this well. The practice swings had me tired by the end, but overall I think the technique work paid off. Almost a 2-minute improvement over July, buy that was coming off SS, so I may have been cherry picking here. Still, I had a 10-minute Helen as a goal for Fall, so check another off. :kicking0: Five down, ten to go.

Awesome Patrick! Finally busted "Helen's" ***! Sub 10 baby!

Nice ring work too my friend, that's my style... :cool:

Patrick Haskell 11-08-2008 10:09 AM

18.5 hour fast, but the workout started 17 hours in. That's too long for me (or at least I'm not used to it yet).

Warmup
2:00 jump rope

Gymnastics work
shoulder rolls

Handstands & handstand forward rolls - freestanding less than 10 seconds, one press to handstand that I couldn't hold & needed a small jump to get started.

Get kicked off gymnastics mats - move to aerobics room to work with John Barney.

More handstand practice - up to 20 seconds of wandering wobbly freestanding handstand - stable for no more than 3 seconds at a time

Max handstand holds against wall - 1:00 belly to wall, 1:16 back to wall

Max L-sits on one aerobics step per side - 0:20, 0:20, 0:16

Still have a ways to go before the 0:30 ring or floor L-sit I want.

Heavy stuff
Back squat 45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 275x1, 285x2, 290x2, 295x1+f, 295f, 275x1+f

Food deficit caught up with me here. Each failure should have gone up, but I didn't have the dig-down strength going for me. I simply couldn't focus.

Push press 45x6, 95x5 - Who am I kidding? How about doing that metcon and then lunch. My wrist wasn't psyched for this after the handstands anyways.

No Metcon
Nope. C2 batteries are out, and the Y doesn't have spares. I took this as a sign that I should go home and eat. Maybe a metcon later, or maybe I'll just torment myself worse tomorrow.

Not a great day, but it was good to get 295 up. I've only done that on one other occasion, although I got 315 that day. 290 x 2 is a PR, too, so I can take comfort in my strength levels being generally high, even if I wasn't at my best this morning. :)

John Barney 11-08-2008 05:28 PM

Thanks for the help with the handstands and L-sits! Greatly appreciated.

JB

Jenna Dodge 11-08-2008 09:55 PM

Have you considered getting the trigger point therapy stuff (WFS)? It's the bomb-diggity. Seriously. It's like having your own personal massage therapist, except for it can be really painful. After using it, you get up and walk around and it's like a miracle man just descended up on your body and you can actually move. I recommend the whole-body kit. Oh, heavenly.