CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Holy Crap (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=30019)

Ryan Green 04-06-2008 11:41 AM

Holy Crap

So, I've been working out for 10 years, started when I was 16 using machines, then progressed to free weights, and for the last year I've done compound lifts and bodyweight exercises. I still don't feel "fit" so after much research, I've decided to try Crossfit.

Today was my first day... didn't make it through the warm-up! I go to a commercial gym, but they have everything I need to do the WOD's... so I go in this morning and start the "official" warmup, samson stretches, overhead squats, sit ups, back extensions, pull-ups and dips... and made it through 2 1/2 sets. I started to feel lightheaded and my vision got a little blurry, so I laid down in the locker room for about 10 minutes until I felt a little better... I didn't want to waste the morning, so I did 30 minutes on the elliptical at a moderate pace, felt fine after that, and then did a full 3 sets of the warm-up.

My goal for tomorrow is to complete the warm-up and do a scaled version of Fran. I know it's a rest day but I'm eager to get started, so my goal for tomorrow is to complete the wam-up, and do last Monday's WOD (FRAN) scaled to 45 lbs bar and -50 lbs assisted pull-ups.

I have to say though, that today's warm-up was one of the best workouts I've ever had.

Peter Williams 04-06-2008 12:03 PM

Re: Holy Crap

Haha, sounds good Ryan. That warmup is a great way to get a taste of what crossfit feels like. Don't feel like you have to do that warmup "for time" or for sets of 15 at first, though - it is a warmup. But, as you work toward and achieve the ability to complete the full warmup you will be able to use it as one barometer of your improving fitness.

Fran is also a good workout to start on, because it is possibly the most popular benchmark workout - there are usually close to 800 comments here when Fran is the WOD, and roughly half that on most other days - people just don't skip Fran!

Welcome aboard!

Colin McNulty 04-06-2008 12:19 PM

Hi Ryan and welcome to Crossfit.

My story is slightly different as I came from a zero exercise background, so I too struggled with the warm up. In the end I spent a whole month just getting to the point where I could finish the warm up, before I tried my first WoD.

Just a small note about Fran though, do do it by all means, but even with a scaled version, Fran is.... well.... "special". The intensity that Fran can throw at you is quite something, all I'm saying is be aware of that. Fran humbles many accomplished Crossfitter. I do consider your decision to scale her as your first Crossfit workout, a particularly wise decision though, well done.

Casey Raiford 04-06-2008 12:46 PM

Official warmup...what's that? Can someone spot me a link to it?

Camille Lore 04-06-2008 12:50 PM

The "official" CrossFit Warm-up is in the April 2003 CrossFit Journal.

3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
Overhead Squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back-extension
Pull-up
Dip
Note that for a workout that's dip or pullup-centric, you might want to do something else in the warmup.

It's under the FAQ on the main crossfit.com page. If you haven't read through that, it's a great place for info that you will be looking for often, esp. in the beginning.

Casey Raiford 04-06-2008 12:52 PM

Awesome, thanks much. I'll go check out the FAQ again, I must've missed it the first time.