CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   3 months on, Thanks Crossfit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35925)

Bryan Back 08-18-2008 11:15 AM

3 months on, Thanks Crossfit

Hello, My name is Bryan Back and I am from Tucson, Arizona. I'm new here and wanted to start out by saying thanks to all those who take the time to post the WOD's and good info on the boards. THANKS THANKS THANKS

Now a few points to any newbies just starting out with the WOD's or a garage gym. Learn from my stupid mistakes (and I'm sure others.)

1. Take two or three days to read as much of this board and the main page as you can. Including the equipment section if building a garage gym. It limits the mistakes we make and questions we ask. Yes, I'm sure to ask a stupid question or two. Just trying to limit them. Then,

2. TAKE THEIR ADVICE! Yes, I bought a pull up/dip station that wobbles like a drunken sailor and takes up as much room as a rack. Yes, I made a set of racks out of pipe and am going to make a pull up/rack and safety rack station similar to one I saw on this board (the crackhouse gym.) Thanks Justin Leigh for the great idea. I adapted it from what I already use and like and will add a safety rack for squats as I workout alone in the garage(still thinking on this one.) Could have bought it all but no $$$. I will get a picture for you next month when I am done. I decided on the pipe rack as I can use it now and modify it into everything I need in the future. My garage gym will take up an 8x12 space not including the rower which is inside the wife's air conditioned room. My rack/squat safety rack/pull up/rings(dips for now) station will take up 4x5 foot area.

3. Take your time! Both with the workouts and the equipment. I have added the rack (on going improvements) and a C2 rower (this was bought 1st as the wife wanted it also). Wow what a workout all by itself. Next stop horse stall mats from local feed store and oly weights from Crossfit SoCal when I can afford them (using standard weights suck and are going to be dangerous as the weight increases.) Another way to thank the community. Buy from them!

4. If you are new to weights as I am this might help your decisions. I am not an expert but I am 40 yoa, 6'1, 183# with an estimated 5 more pounds to lose. This should put me around 10% BF and get rid of my baby belly roll and love handles. I say baby because I have cut them in half already since starting CF in May 08 (they were not big to begin with.) This was easy as I am a skinny body type. All I did was stop drinking soda and eating chocolate cake(okay most of it.) Gaining weight is the hard part. I have not lost any weight and have put on a bit of muscle. Mostly in the legs, shoulders and arms. Not much. Just a bit of rounding in the muscle with a slight increase on my CFT (30 pounds extra) which is part technique and extra muscle.) I will keep trying to up my total by this much until stalling then take a break and try going up by small increases. My nutrition is improving as is my caloric intake. Eating this much food is expensive.... yikes. Got to do it to gain weight!!!

5. I decided against the Starting Strength program as I am 40 years old with a torn ACL that was never repaired. I wanted to increase my 1rm slowly(not 10# a day or week, I understand this may be more a fear I have and not reality), learn the lifts and work out the aches, pains and scar tissue in the knee (I wear the store bought PRO hinged neoprene brace.) Wow, slight pain with some snap, crackles and pops. Yes, I need more muscle as I am the king of tall and skinny. My plan is not a month or year but a 3 year plan for good results(That is not an arbitrary number but when I get to go back to the street and chase the 16 year olds around as a patrol officer.) That is my long term goal of being intermediate with my weight lifting and go up to elite with my sprinting (if the knee will allow.) I may go higher with the weightlifting. No obstacles but time and effort. Wait that is fun not an obstacle... I thought I would only get to my body weight in the deadlift due to my knee. Nope, I safely did that after three months on CF and I could have gone higher but stopped (going slow and not pushing it yet.) Reserve the right to push the weightlifting in the near future. But I know too many big weightlifters who have had surgery and don't lift anymore due to pushing it. Baby steps are for me. As long as the steps keep going up.

6. For you old, torn and tired people like me. Don't erect false obstacles for yourself. Use good old-fashioned common sense, go slow and listen to your body. See long term goal above. If you want it all now be ready for injury, anger and quitting. Yes, been there and done that. What is the quote? "Don't be pigheaded". OH to be 16 again.....nah too much of a pain in the buttocks (been THERE and done THAT.)

This post is me being preachy to myself and maybe other newbies if I sound like you, not you fantastic Crossfitters. I just put most of what I thought and did in the first three months in one post. Thought that might make it easier for others who start out. Take it for what it is worth.

Thanks again you guys,

Bryan

Ryan Whipple 08-18-2008 01:24 PM

Re: 3 months on, Thanks Crossfit

Hey Bryan!

I'm also in Tucson, and wanted to make sure you know we have an affiliate opening this month! Check out www.crossfittucson.com. I've met some of the trainers already and like what I see. Come join the party!

Leanne M Lloyd 08-18-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Back (Post 378321)
Yes, I made a set of racks out of pipe and am going to make a pull up/rack and safety rack station similar to one I saw on this board (the crackhouse gym.) Thanks Justin Leigh for the great idea. I adapted it from what I already use and like and will add a safety rack for squats as I workout alone in the garage(still thinking on this one.) Could have bought it all but no $$$. I will get a picture for you next month when I am done. I decided on the pipe rack as I can use it now and modify it into everything I need in the future. My garage gym will take up an 8x12 space not including the rower which is inside the wife's air conditioned room. My rack/squat safety rack/pull up/rings(dips for now) station will take up 4x5 foot area.

Post your specs! I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Charles Bennington 08-18-2008 06:25 PM

That was an awesome intro post. Welcome aboard.

Regarding #5
Get a foam roller, learn it, use it, love it.

Bryan Back 08-18-2008 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ryan, I have read up on Crossfit Tucson. Looks good. Once I get the oly weights I may pay for some coaching to perfect my lifts.

Leanne,
I needed a rack to hold up my weights in order to get under them. I did the K.I.S.S. thing. 1.5" pipe for the legs and 1" pipe for the top. Make as tall as you need for your height. Mine are 48 inches tall+leg height and 36 inches wide. These are fine for the weight I am lifting and squatting. Eventually I will change the design to look like the crackhouse gym in the equipment section. Much more sturdy and multifunctional (space saving) for my 8x12 gym.

Leanne M Lloyd 08-20-2008 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Back (Post 378883)
Ryan, I have read up on Crossfit Tucson. Looks good. Once I get the oly weights I may pay for some coaching to perfect my lifts.

Leanne,
I needed a rack to hold up my weights in order to get under them. I did the K.I.S.S. thing. 1.5" pipe for the legs and 1" pipe for the top. Make as tall as you need for your height. Mine are 48 inches tall+leg height and 36 inches wide. These are fine for the weight I am lifting and squatting. Eventually I will change the design to look like the crackhouse gym in the equipment section. Much more sturdy and multifunctional (space saving) for my 8x12 gym.

Thanks! I'm thinking of building a power rack out of pipe... LOL still looking into all the options. Also going to build a dip station I think and possibly a GHD. I'll have to look into how stable they will all be without welding, using T and elbow joints basically. Or maybe I can find someone to spot weld them at the joints for me...

Bryan Back 08-20-2008 08:21 PM

Leanne,

I think a GHD might be so much work as to make it easier to pay the money. Padding and pipe will cost a bundle. As for strength, the pipe would be strong enough.
Look around the equipment board. Someone has probably made one already.

Brandt Linkowski 08-21-2008 08:47 PM

Item #6 is great advice. What holds us back is so frequently what we *think* we can do vs. what we really can. I believe Crossfit teaches us to challenge those limitations and take a long term view. In the last four months of starting Crossfit, I have surprised myself so many times.

Frank M Needham 08-22-2008 04:43 AM

Nice post, I read "great attitude" in it and think you'll do real well over time.