CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Health and Medical Issues (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   No longer able to do pull ups (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=43036)

John Elstad 02-18-2009 06:31 PM

No longer able to do pull ups

I've never been great at PUs, maybe able to do ten or so without kipping. A couple days ago I felt like doing a few non-kipping PUs and found I couldn't do one. I would start to pull up, but about a quarter of the way up, my arms would just stop. No pain, soreness, or feeling of weakness, just no ability to go further. For today's PU WOD, I was able to do two PUs (in two sets of one rep) before I had to revert to jumping PUs for the sake of the WOD.

I'm assuming that some necessary muscles are still in recovery from a prior WOD and that they will be fine in time. However, I would appreciate any comments regarding whether I should be concerned, take a break, or what this might be.

Thanks,

John

George Mounce 02-18-2009 07:02 PM

Re: No longer able to do pull ups

Well if you don't have the strength right now, keep working on doing pull-up negatives and jumping until you can get one.

If you don't already, add them to your warm-up.

Steven Low 02-18-2009 09:14 PM

How long have you been working out without stopping?

Sleep good? Diet?

You might just need a break...

michael Galietta 02-18-2009 10:38 PM

I would love to see what responses you get to this post.

I am in a similar boat, but know that pullups are my probably my weakest CF area. I know I will get better at them but it is sure coming slowly. I am in CF week 15, seeing great overall results in all areas (CF rocks!) except at pullups. This issue has inspired me to drop a few pounds, which should help.

Most time I do pullups at home on a doorway bar which means I don't have full extension but I always try to kip and feel like I can't get the "hang" of it. If I try to use my garage rings to kip and therefore have full body extension they swing around too much. My dead hang pullups have decreased since starting, I too am thinking of going back to dead hangs for a while.

I used to be able to do 10 dead hang chin ups (palms in) and 5 or 6 palms out, now I am about half of that...and I am almost ten pounds lighter.

So far I have not done any extra work beyond the WOD's (not even the CFWU...the pullups would max me...I do an easy warm up of my own) to get acclimated but I am just feeling lately I am used to things enough to start to do so. If I stay in a rut on pullups I'll try to "grease the groove" after I reach a more optimal body weight.

John Elstad 02-18-2009 10:42 PM

Thanks for your comments. As far as I can tell, the problem started after the following WOD on 2/11:

45 Double-unders
135 pound Squat clean, 45 reps (used 90#)
45 Ring Dips
45 Double-unders

My diet is 80% Zone and I've been getting good rest between WODs.

Thanks again.

Veronica Carpenter 02-18-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael Galietta (Post 521777)
If I stay in a rut on pullups I'll try to "grease the groove" after I reach a more optimal body weight.

Why wait? If you don't start GTG now you'll be in a rut for longer.

As for John, I agree with Steven's reply. You may have just not had enough recovery from your 2/11 WOD

michael Galietta 02-19-2009 01:37 PM

veronica: I am still new at this (week 15) and had a goal of not doing more than the WOD for at least 6 months so as to not overtrain. I am trying to give the WOD's as full an effort as possible.

It has only been recently I am feeling adjusted to things, so I am being careful when and how to add extra items.

Veronica Carpenter 02-20-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael Galietta (Post 522279)
veronica: I am still new at this (week 15) and had a goal of not doing more than the WOD for at least 6 months so as to not overtrain. I am trying to give the WOD's as full an effort as possible.

It has only been recently I am feeling adjusted to things, so I am being careful when and how to add extra items.

How much time did you allow between the 2/11 WOD and trying to do pullups?

If you're putting in full effort on the WOD's with minimal scaling. You may just need more recovery time.

Ed Haywood 02-20-2009 02:10 PM

Are you doing 3 sets of pullups during the CFWU every day? That should be enough deadhang volume to maintain your pullups, or to improve if you bump the numbers up gradually.

michael Galietta 02-22-2009 02:30 PM

At week 16 I am just starting to work the CFWU into things, which should help the pullups. It has taken me this long to acclimate.