CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jason A Smith 02-26-2012 03:11 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

Robert Foley ! Dude, great to see you on the boards again ! Hope all is well and thanks for the look in.

When will we see the return of you ? Miss your consistent work.

Robert Foley 02-26-2012 03:21 PM

Thanks, Jason! I'm back. I did "Zimmerman" yesterday. May not be following CFHQ programming 100%. I've got some ideas that I'll play around with.

I like CFHQ (that's why I've done it for so long). I just want something more tailored now. Considering short MetCons in the AM (perhaps a modification of the HQ WOD) and a linear progression of strength/power in the PM.

Glad to see you've been making solid gains! Very exciting!

Jason A Smith 02-28-2012 06:07 PM

Thanks Robert, it has been a long process but I have learnt a lot about myself over the past couple years. I like the fact that you have made (and continue to make) such solid gains doing main page Crossfit. After the Open is done it's either back to OPT or to MP for a change of pace. I am never sure why people dump alll over the program. For just good GPP it is a good program. It has been a long time since I followed MP and I am sure it would expose some weaknesses.

Rest day yesterday, back at it today:

Practice split jerks
Worked on footwork and positioning. Worked up to a pretty easy 195. Felt a little off balance today
+
A. Behind neck split jerk + overhead squat; 1 rep x 10 sets; rest 60s
185-187.5-190-192.5-195-197.5-200-202.5-205-207.5
B. Wall Ball 20 unbroken x 5 sets; rest 60s
All done UB and pretty easy too except the last set at about rep 15

That is a PR in the OHS ! Pretty happy about that. Wall balls are improving a lot and I love the new Rage ball, great purchase for me !

Looking forward to seeing what is in store for this week tomorrow. I am still mad about my effort on Sunday but I am determined to learn something from it and will commit to a plan this week and see where it lands me. We have a bit of a different plan to roll out this week to try and maximize results for the rest of the Open.

Robert Foley 02-28-2012 06:45 PM

I agree. CFHQ programming is perfect for GPP. If one has specific goals in mind, then appropriate tailoring is needed.

Congrats on the OHS PR! That's huge!

Again, G/L with the Open. You had a great start!

Jason A Smith 02-29-2012 08:15 PM

Thanks Robert, after tonight's event announcement I should be good for 12.2. We'll see how I do at 165. I know I can do reps, we'll see how many.

Tonight was rowing wednesday.

90 second row at high aerobic pace
90 second ez row
x 5 sets
same meters per set
428-428-429-427-428 all @ 1:45 pace

Reality is I could have pushed a little harder but I wanted to stay aerobic. Started to get a little lactic about the last 30 seconds on the last three rounds. I guess I will be practicing snatches for the week. Looking forward to this one for sure. Hoping to get about 5:00 with the 165# weight. Likely do a test with the 135# to see how fast I can do it in and go from there. Rest day tomorrow.

Milton Brisson 02-29-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Foley (Post 1038598)
I agree. CFHQ programming is perfect for GPP.

That about sums it up! When left to ones own devices, most people would stay away from the things they are less proficient at - staying honest on the main page will expose you to a lot of areas where improvement is needed!

CFFB definitely played to my strengths, but since starting at an affiliate, where they do things I am not great at more often, has really opened my eyes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1038953)
Thanks Robert, after tonight's event announcement I should be good for 12.2. We'll see how I do at 165. I know I can do reps, we'll see how many.

Tonight was rowing wednesday.

90 second row at high aerobic pace
90 second ez row
x 5 sets
same meters per set
428-428-429-427-428 all @ 1:45 pace

Reality is I could have pushed a little harder but I wanted to stay aerobic. Started to get a little lactic about the last 30 seconds on the last three rounds. I guess I will be practicing snatches for the week. Looking forward to this one for sure. Hoping to get about 5:00 with the 165# weight. Likely do a test with the 135# to see how fast I can do it in and go from there. Rest day tomorrow.

Good luck with this one Jason! I am going into the box for this tomorrow, so wont have time to feel it out this week. You will have to test it, but I think a score in the 70s should be a good one. Its a scaled Isabel, followed by Isabel, then Rx+ Isabel. I expect to see reps drop off once people finish with the 135s.

My plan is: smoke the 75s, they will feel like pencils! Minute and a half or so....5-6 minutes on the 135s, get some recovery in there, then when 165 is on the bar: ATTACK!!!!! All out until the time is up. I'll be happy with 70 reps.

I dont have your lungs, so you may fare better in this one than I.....either, go get it!:highfive:

Jason A Smith 03-02-2012 10:43 AM

Thanks Milt. Plan to go hopefully get a decent score this weekend. I am going to do it on Sunday and see how that goes. Today was a lifting type session.

A. Power Snatch touch-n-go; 60%x5, 63%x5, 66%x3, 69%x3, 72%x3, 75%x3, 78%x2
105-110-115-120-125-130-135, I did some sets at 75 as well and after worked up to 165 for a few reps to make sure I could do it, some pressing out but definitely would count ! Also after I did 15 @ 135 every 10 seconds, felt decent. I am ready to go for 12.2 as best as I can be !
B. Squat clean + thruster 1.1.1 x 5 sets; rest 180s
135-145-155-165-175, these got progressively slower but not too bad

Rest for remainder of day, go for a massage, shovel, tomorrow some light recovery and mobility and then get at it on Sunday !

At least I'll know what kind of score I'll need, whether it's achievable or not I don't know yet.

Milton Brisson 03-02-2012 10:49 AM

Go get it Jason! Dont smoke yourself on the 75s! If you keep clean reps on those, your low back will be feeling OK for the next weight.

Good luck!

Robert Foley 03-02-2012 03:11 PM

Good luck, Jason! Although I took my time with this one (due to an injury), it wasn't all that bad. You'll definitely be able to get into the 165s! What is your 1RM? If you have the time, will you be able to get into the 210s?

Jason A Smith 03-02-2012 03:19 PM

Robert,

Hoping to get some reps in at 165, may have to resort to squat snatching as that is right close to my 1 RM, no chance of getting at the 210's.