CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jason A Smith 07-23-2013 07:07 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

Rest day yesterday, did however, do my first session of shoulder rehab protocol.

Warm-up: Diesel Crew # 2 - [B]completed[/B]
A. Snatch Grip behind the neck Press x 3 + Paused overhead squat x 1; 5 sets; rest 60-90s
* Pause for 3 seconds in bottom of squat
[B]35,36,37,38,39 kg - this felt ok, a little crunchy but not too bad, pretty light too. I would like to work up to this complex to at least 70kg[/B]
B1. Snatch Pull (to low ribs); 3 reps x 3 sets; rest 60s - [B]90kg for all three. I took video and tried to stay on my heels[/B]
B2. Pressing snatch balance (light weight); 5 reps x 3 sets; rest 60s - [B]38,39,40kg - This felt surprisingly really good. I ttried for video on the last set but the camera was pointed in the wrong direction. D'oh[/B]
C. Back squat, 20X1, 4-6 reps x 4 sets; rest 180s - [B]105,110,115,120 all for 6, last set was a grinder[/B]

All in all a good session. Those pressing snatch balances actually really felt good. I could go heavier on those next time.

Jason A Smith 07-24-2013 08:16 PM

30 minutes @ 75%:
300m Row
30 walking lunges
25 Unanchored Sit-ups
100 double unders
1/2 mile AD
[B]5 Rounds even +30m on the row[/B]

Finished with my heart rate at just above 150, close to 160. That was a grinder for sure. Kept the row about 1:48/500 pace and the AD to 1100 cals/hr. Each time was about 1:30 on the bike, DU's only broke once. Sit ups and lunges had good speed and were very steady and UB.

Jason A Smith 07-25-2013 06:36 PM

Feeling a little beat up today, wasn't sure what exactly my day would be like but got to it.

A. Clean from hi-hang, clean from knees, clean from floor; 5 sets; rest 180s b/t sets
* as heavy as possible, do not drop bar b/t reps, touch and go from floor
[B]90,92,94,96,98kg - pretty pleased, these are getting consistently better[/B]
B1. False Grip Chest to Rings, strict chin-up, AMAP x 4 sets; rest 60s - [B]all 5's my FG is sucky[/B]
B2. Handstand Pushup, 42X2, AMAP x 4 sets; rest 60s - [B]5,6,5,5,4 - those were tough at tempo[/B]
B3. GHR, 50X0, 12 reps x 4 sets; rest 60s - [B]completed[/B]
+
5 rounds:
Row 20s ALL OUT - [B]115,112,114,114,111[/B]
Rest 30s
60s KB Jerk, Left, 55# - [B]8-15-15-15-15[/B]
60s KB Jerk, Right, 55# - [B]15-15-15-15-19[/B]
Rest 30s

Tough to get comfortable on my left side. These fatigues me pretty well. I need to be able to do 20+/minute though so keep working at it.

Welcome rest day tomorrow.

Jason A Smith 08-05-2013 07:58 AM

So, we are out on what feels like an annual camping holiday. Rest has been terrific, nutrition has been pretty good too. I am not taking my usual supplementation of fish oil etc. But I have been very good about getting in some shoulder mobility and rehab as well as actually hitting up some training. We are parked at Clear Lake for the week so I will be planning some training. May even just be a long run or bike in there somewhere.

Also of note are a couple other things. I bought myself an early birthday present in the form of a new Pendlay bearing bar, as well I have had to change course with coaching. The guy in Winnipeg who was doing has had to pull back due to some personal stuff. I reached out to Mike Fitzgerald of OPT in Calgary and we should be getting going when we get back from vacation.

I am pretty excited, and looking forward to getting back to regular life and training buy for sure am enjoying a little break.

Jason A Smith 08-13-2013 06:27 PM

Well.....I am back. Did some shoulder rehab/prehab the last week of holidays but mostly just took it easy, rested and relaxed. Had my video meet up with Mike last night and we are on our way. He took in a lot of data and it looks like we will be doing some testing....yeah. He seems like a great guy and very knowledgable. I am in good hands. We discussed my goal of making Regionals. He is on board but figures I will likely be outside the top 48 (no surprise) and didn't think I would be top 20. I heartily agree. So my plan isn't totally out to lunch and we will be working for me to kill all the lighter stuff and hang in on anything that might be heavier. If I am lucky the heavy event will not involves snatches this year.

First day of training:

A. Squat Snatch, 1 rep @ 95lbs per min for 10 mins - [B]completed[/B]
B. Squat Clean, 1 rep @ 155lb per min for 10 mins - [B]complete[/B]
C. Split Jerk, 1 rep @ 155lb per min for 10 mins - [B]complete[/B]
D. 10 rds for time:
4 Burpees
6 KBS - 32kg
8 Wall Balls - 20# to 10 ft
*Goal is sub 9 min
*Top time is 7:35
[B]I got .......9:00 even ! Just made it[/B]

That one hurt from round seven on. I haven't done any testers like that for a couple months so I pretty pleased. Everything UB just moved a little slow on transitions from round 5-9. All in all happy to be back. My new bar is awesome as well.

Jordan Derksen 08-14-2013 06:43 AM

Hey, cool to see you're going the individual coaching route again! I'm a firm believer now it's the only way to truly move forward in the sport with the field being so deep now. I've considered going that route but don't quite have the extra scratch yet.

Looking forward to seeing how things go with Mike.

Jason A Smith 08-14-2013 09:43 AM

Yeah, thanks man. I had been back working with Brendan since May (?) and my plan was to conitnue with him right through to the end of my "season" this year. For personal reasons he had to step aside which is when I contacted Mike. (This was also backed by Brendan). Another guy close to town is using Mike as well so I sort of have a training partner.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how this pans out. Mike has a pile of coaching clients, I just hope I don't get lost in the shuffle. The nice thing is he is very familiar with what happened to my shoulde as he suffered the same thing and is continuing to make slow and steady progress.

Likely be testing fo rthe next 2-3 weeks as he gathers data and makes a plan for me, so I wil likely be pretty sore and tired. I hadn't been doing any pain training really just lots of aerobic stuff.

Jason A Smith 08-14-2013 06:44 PM

I am pretty sore today but the testing forges ahead. Not as tough today but still pretty tough

A. Weighted Supinated Chin-up, build to a 1 RM - no kip - [B]44kg PR[/B]
B. Weighted Ring Dip, build to a 1 RM - no kip - [B]38kg PR[/B]
C. 50 Kipping HSPU for time - goal is sub 3 min (rest as needed after this and warm-up/prep for the next part) - [B]4:25, I was at 41 at just under 3 minutes, when these fade on me they go fast. Busted out a set of 20 to start[/B]
D. max distance on Airdyne in 10 minutes - goal is 4.0 miles - [B]3.7 miles, 200 cals total[/B]

The last part is the infamous "300FY". It really sucked bad from minutes 5-8 before and after that wasn't too bad, but my legs were burning and I was just dying. This is the first time doing this so I will take it as a moral victory. And it gets chalked up as a PR. So today, even though I didn't quite hit my goals was 4 PR's so I am not going to be disappointed at all. Just know that there is some work to be done.

Jason A Smith 08-15-2013 07:26 PM

Really, really sore today, thought about taking today as a rest day. Got home and took my time warming up and decided to hit it anyways

15,12,9 for time:
Power Clean @ 115lb
Burpees
[B]2:55[/B]
+
10 min rest
+
15,12,9 for time:
Power Clean @ 115lb
Burpees
[B]3:35[/B]
*Goal is sub 3 min on both

Set of 12 PC's on my second go was a mess or I would have been close on my time. Pretty happy I got it done regardless. Happy I was able to get one set under the cap and just know I need work on these types of efforts. Haven't done any lactate work for over 2 months so i am pleased especially coming back from our 2 week vacation. Good start on my new training stuff.

Jason A Smith 08-17-2013 02:57 PM

Rest day yesterday and I needed it. Pretty worn out and the really hot humid weather is not helping at all. It was 36C w/ the humidity when I started today....gross !

Thruster, build to a 1RM
[B]200,205F both from the floor and the rack, left shoulder wasn't liking the positioning at all ! Regardless I think this is a PR.[/B]
+
For time:
30 Thrusters @ 95lbs
500m Row
[B]2:49[/B]

My goal was sub 2:40, so I was close. My own goal going in was to get the thrusters UB and row a sub 1:40, which I did both of. So I am happy about that. Last 5 thrusters were just too slow. Likely need to go faster on those and row around a 1:35 to make it. Totally within my grasp. I know I went as hard as I could because I never felt recovered at all even after about 20 minutes. So I am happy about that too.

So Jordan Derksen and I were having some PM's about programming and such. I finally listened to the Barbell Shrugged Podcast with Max El-Hag from OPT and I would have to say I am definitely more buffalo than jaguar ! Which means that......most of my training will be fast short crappy efforts ! Yuck. But the only way to get better.