CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Resting Heart Rate as an Indicator of Health (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=64114)

Kevin Simons 01-08-2011 10:03 PM

Resting Heart Rate as an Indicator of Health

I have been checking my resting heart rate the last few mornings out of curiosity. I was really surprised that it usually comes in around 72-75 bpm. On some of the sites I have checked, this puts me in the "below average" category for my age. This seems weird to me because I consider myself remarkably healthy. You can see some of the numbers in my signature, and I also have a 3:13 1k row and 35 rounds of Cindy. Body fat is a bit high right now, but not much different than my avatar. How good of a health indicator is resting heart rate, and what are some of your numbers?

Eric R Cohen 01-09-2011 05:09 AM

Re: Resting Heart Rate as an Indicator of Health

I have heard a high resting heart rate is often a sign of over training...

Donald Lee 01-09-2011 06:46 AM

Are you sitting/standing/lying down while taking your RHR?

Larry Hotchkiss 01-09-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen (Post 888618)
I have heard a high resting heart rate is often a sign of over training...

Ive heard the same.

For me before starting crossfit and in poor metabolic shape my resting heart rate was in the low 50's bpm. Havent checked it recently.

Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer 01-09-2011 09:10 AM

Have you had a full check-up? You may be overtraining, but, it may be something else. i.e. thyroid. Has your diet changed? Are you taking any pharmaceuticals? This includes OTC.

Jay Adams 01-09-2011 10:14 AM

Healthy and fit are not the same. Looking at your numbers it is easy to see you are fast and pretty strong, but that HR is high. Good endurance athletes will have resting HR is the low to mid 50's. Mine is 65 ,ost mornings, and if I see 70 I will pull back the training intensity for the day. High HR is big sign of under-resting or lack of quality sleep.

Marcel Zwinger 01-09-2011 12:20 PM

personal experience: I have a higher heart rate, when I consume too much caffein.
also, when I drink too much :p
and normally it has something to do with potasium deficiency ...

Daniel Wheeler 01-09-2011 12:29 PM

When I was strictly upping my endurance in the water (especially) and running with some CF WOD's my RHR sat around 50. At my flight physical the nurse made me do flutter kicks because it was just under 50...meaning they couldn't get an accurate reading on the EKG I guess.

Add in a months PL and big weights (relatively) I was suprised to see my RHR in the upper 60's to mid 70's.

Interesting stuff.

Eric Montgomery 01-09-2011 12:44 PM

Check it at various times during the day. If it's still that high, it sounds like a good sign of overtraining or at least something that should be checked out. I'm not in near as good a shape as your numbers indicate, and my RHR is usually in the 40s.

Sean Rooks 01-09-2011 01:59 PM

Isn't a high resting heart rate considered a sign of overtraining for endurance athletes while vertical or broad jump is considered a better indicator of overtraining for strength athletes?