CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Barbell shrugged flight (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=88716)

Mike Grasso 07-17-2015 02:04 PM

Barbell shrugged flight

hey everyone I am wondering if anyone has followed the barbell shrugged flight program? I am looking to improve my met on times, oly lifts and overall strength. If not does anyone recommend outlaw barbell, competitors training or catalyst? I am trying to find a solid program that I can stick to.

My lifts right now are
445 bs
475 dl
295 c&j
230 snatch

I am confident with my form and what it takes to be successful so I just need a program to follow.

Thanks

Richard Colon 07-17-2015 07:41 PM

Re: Barbell shrugged flight

You have good numbers. Give some grrillagym.com a shot. Try level 3 or level 4. Level 4 fits with your current numbers but the volume might be a shock, so maybe just a week or two or level 3 first to see how your body handles that. If its too simple/easy, then go to Level 4.

Mike Grasso 07-18-2015 10:43 AM

Ill check that one out thank you....has anyone used any of the programs I put up and had stand out results.

Richard Colon 07-18-2015 12:58 PM

Here's the thing, as I see it.

I've done this stuff for a long time. Obviously I'm biased because grrillagym.com is mine. I've created, over the years 10s of thousands of training sessions and hundreds of programs for all sorts of clients. I'm massively confident that I can help guide others through to success. That being said, I'm not going to say my way is the only way. I offer my stuff completely for free and I don't think its good. I know its good. There is a great deal of detail and reason behind it and I do a damn good job of tracking progression - at least in the sense of how and why I program.

There is no one size fits all program. Outlaw, Misfit, Catalyst, Comp Training, Invictus, CFFB, GSLP, hell even mainsite perhaps, could and has worked for people. There is no real better and best. There is just stuff that has a strong foundation to it and a decent track record. However, for every person that says "X program gave me amazing results", there may be someone else that says, it didn't meet all my needs/goals.

Point is, pick something and see it through. At least give it an honest effort. In grrillagym case, give it a full cycle. If it doesn't fit in line with where you want to go, then pick something else. The worse thing is to pick one and keep jumping around every 2 weeks. No program will work if you don't give it 100% effort and if you don't see it through until the end. The other aspect is to not mix and match. Don't "add" stuff to the current program. The neat part about grrillagym, if that is the route you pick, is their are 4 levels of training. At the higher levels (3 and 4), it is relatively all encompassing. You shouldn't have to add in some extra stuff. If you feel the need to add work to Level 4, then...my hats off to you - because you are a ridiculous beast.

Just pick something.

Blair Robert Lowe 07-18-2015 04:58 PM

So is grrillagym.com supposed to be GPP training or CF competitive training? I'm thinking GPP from what I see.

Richard Colon 07-18-2015 05:52 PM

Correct Blair. For the most part, fitness for various people, defined in various ways. The high level stuff will look quite familiar, but as I am not an affiliate (yet), I am careful not to refer it to Crossfit training but obviously the methodology is there.

The level 3 and 4 stuff is created with consideration towards those that compete (or wish to) in sports that require that type of stuff. Be strong, fast, explosive and endure. Sure, we can all call it Crossfit but my background is quite different. It seems these days however, vs. the Crossfit of 2009, when you Deadlift a lot, while also doing what the NY street scene playground bar guys do along with enjoying some running - like Alex Viada, then it funnels to high level Crossfit or NPGL.

So I'll take my shot at it. Its just a way and nothing more. My way, with my experiences, coming from training knowledge and experience outside of Crossfit only and I'm confident in it. It works for some and doesn't for others - like anything else. Just as Outlaw or CFNE or other programs do. I see programs as a bit more of a hit or miss, and never one size fits all. I like the Froning mentality to it all and I create in that vein. There was no program (or so it seemed during his interviews and years of domination) that he did that proved to be better than others. He simply just put in work. My stuff offers WORK and you take it from there. That would be my best summary. I provide work to do, focused on making sure the components (strength, endurance and speed) are there, with an even higher dose of WORK.

Jason A Smith 07-19-2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Grasso (Post 1254877)
Ill check that one out thank you....has anyone used any of the programs I put up and had stand out results.

Kevin Simons has made it to the Games twice. Once in 2012 following Outlaw and again this year following Invictus' on-line blog.

A couple of years ago a lot of people made it to the Games following free on-line blog style programming. Now with the level of competition so high most people cannot and will not waste their time doing stuff they don't need to (which is what happens on a free blog) so they do their own program.

I know there are a lot of people that made Regionals doing Outlaw/Invictus and at one time the OPT blog as well some doing Misfit.

Richard, I will have to assume that the program you keep recommending is yours......you should be transparent about that. At any rate I had a look at it. It look pretty decent, the only thing is the jump from Level 2 to Level 3 is huge. I would be a more Level 3 type person except some of the days programmed are just too much volume.

Richard Colon 07-19-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1254901)
Richard, I will have to assume that the program you keep recommending is yours......you should be transparent about that. At any rate I had a look at it. It look pretty decent, the only thing is the jump from Level 2 to Level 3 is huge. I would be a more Level 3 type person except some of the days programmed are just too much volume.

Will do. I'll most likely make adjustments as I go along. I don't mean to keep pushin' it. I'm just excited about it and figured I'm the best person to answer questions so I chime in. As it stands now, there isn't a thing on the site I'm asking for, selling, etc, so I'm not pushing anything other than just another option for folks. It is exactly that type of feedback that I'm looking for regarding levels so I'll keep it in mind and maybe consider, since the Level 2 to 3 is such a gap - have a "are you coming from level 2" or "are you working towards level 3" variance within level 3 training.

Andrew Bell 07-20-2015 06:52 AM

Just throwing another option out there that is getting some positive results by sending at least 2 from the same region to the Games (maybe more in other regions). http://misfitathletics.com/ wfs

Tim Alford 07-20-2015 12:28 PM

Richard, I will have to assume that the program you keep recommending is yours......you should be transparent about that. At any rate I had a look at it. It look pretty decent, the only thing is the jump from Level 2 to Level 3 is huge. I would be a more Level 3 type person except some of the days programmed are just too much volume.[/quote]

"I've done this stuff for a long time. Obviously I'm biased because grrillagym.com is mine. I've created,..."

He did say this in the first real paragraph ^^^ I thought it was clear.

As for what the OP is talking about. Definitely pick one and stick to it, I've fallen prey to the "ooh look, thiiiiis is the program I need!" and then 3 weeks later "thiiiiis is the best program for me." Then you realize you've wasted 5 months and made no progress towards your written goal. Which is the next part, write down your goal! Once you have a goal you can funnel your training towards that. I like Comptrain, it's clear and easy to follow, I also like Crossfit Weightlifting from the small amount I've seen. But you do you!