CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   solid supplements to take (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=87452)

Kristian Wolowidnyk 07-22-2014 07:17 AM

solid supplements to take

I eat zone 90% of the time and eat fairly clean at that

what should I be supplementing with?

already take a multi, omega3s, and creatine

:thanx:

Luke Sirakos 07-22-2014 07:32 AM

Re: solid supplements to take

What are your goals and stats? If your diet is in check and you are taking creatine, a multi, and fish oil then you have pretty much hit the supplements that are worth buying. If you want to improve elsewhere I would suggest altering your food intake.

Kristian Wolowidnyk 07-22-2014 07:40 AM

thanks kinda figured as much

Kristian Skarsfeldt 07-22-2014 08:03 AM

ZMA for sure

Maybe a protein shake PWO

Luke Sirakos 07-22-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristian Skarsfeldt (Post 1237282)
ZMA for sure

Maybe a protein shake PWO

Why?

I like ZMA just because it helps me sleep but I don't think it doesn't anything beyond that. The original claims that it increases testosterone production are pretty much invalid. Unless you are deficient in your magnesium and zinc intake there is little benefit.

A post workout shake could help if you weren't hitting your protein goals without it. The whole "anabolic window" isn't like what supplement companies would have you believe and there are even some studies showing that it can last 24-36 hours meaning that if you are eating a proper amount of protein throughout the day you would be fine. I will admit that I do have a PWO shake though but that is because I need it to hit my protein targets and the timing around my other meals works out well.

Chris Mason 07-22-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos (Post 1237284)
Why?

I like ZMA just because it helps me sleep but I don't think it doesn't anything beyond that. The original claims that it increases testosterone production are pretty much invalid. Unless you are deficient in your magnesium and zinc intake there is little benefit.

A post workout shake could help if you weren't hitting your protein goals without it. The whole "anabolic window" isn't like what supplement companies would have you believe and there are even some studies showing that it can last 24-36 hours meaning that if you are eating a proper amount of protein throughout the day you would be fine. I will admit that I do have a PWO shake though but that is because I need it to hit my protein targets and the timing around my other meals works out well.

The other thing with both zinc and magnesium is they have been shown to aid with strength gains. They don't do anything for test production, but hard training may cause a deficit etc. The mechanism is not certain, but there does seem to be a correlation.

Luke Sirakos 07-22-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Mason (Post 1237286)
The other thing with both zinc and magnesium is they have been shown to aid with strength gains. They don't do anything for test production, but hard training may cause a deficit etc. The mechanism is not certain, but there does seem to be a correlation.

Interesting. Like I said, I take it because it helps me sleep and it is cheap but I will take any additional benefits :)

Chris Mason 07-22-2014 09:18 AM

So, to answer the question, my favorites are:

creatine monohydrate
Beta Alanine
fish oil
zinc and magnesium
my ETS (which also has zinc and magnesium)
protein (for convenience)
caffeine
BCAA - based more on "nutrient" timing - about 40 min. before training

Kristian Wolowidnyk 07-22-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Mason (Post 1237302)
So, to answer the question, my favorites are:

creatine monohydrate
Beta Alanine
fish oil
zinc and magnesium
my ETS (which also has zinc and magnesium)
protein (for convenience)
caffeine
BCAA - based more on "nutrient" timing - about 40 min. before training

what amounts of zinc and magnesium are you taking?

Chris Mason 07-22-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristian Wolowidnyk (Post 1237308)
what amounts of zinc and magnesium are you taking?

Around 4-500mg of magesium and 25-30mg of zinc daily.